“Excellent value”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My wife and I took advantage of the hotel's dinner B&B pre-cruise package on December 20th. It proved to be excellent value for money with a decent and beautifully served three course dinner in a wood panelled dining room, a clean and modern room and a great breakfast the following day included along with 16 nights parking plus taxi transfers to and from the cruise terminal in Southampton. All staff were polite and helpful. I am a bit fussy about where I leave our car, but left for the cruise feeling that it was in as safe a location as you're likely to get at a hotel and on our return it was fine and just where we had parked it.

We have travelled widely over the years and are in a good positio to judge hotels etc. In short, we will definitely use this service again and stay there too if in the area but not on a cruise. It really was that good and I went out of my way to tell the hotel's manager this before we left. Please do not be put off by some of the negative reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have plenty of luggage.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GrahamandSueR
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your feedback, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I had read mixed reviews about this hotel so was unsure what to expect.

I am fairly critical where its due but could not find anything to criticise this place on. The Room was nice, yes it was a TINY, and I mean TINY bit scuffed here and there, but it was clean, well looked after and comfortable. It was in no way run down, like some of the comments Ive read. We were really happy in it and slept like a log.

The staff were all so friendly and laid back. The main house was so chilled out, the bar got quite full so we took our bottle of wine up to the top room, nobody cared, "go where you feel most comfortable" was the attitude. It did feel like you were in a home you could "use". It wasn't stuffy or formal, it was just perfect.

The food was great, we did not like the look of anything on the restaurant menu, so we ate from the bar menu. The food was so tasty and the presentation was wonderful. We thought the meal and the drinks were reasonably priced. The breakfast was lovely, it was buffet style but you have the option to have your fried egg cooked in front of you to your liking. The chef was so cheery.. what a nice change it makes to have nice staff.

The leisure suite was nice, it was clean, comfortable to use and not too busy.

We left feeling very rested and refreshed. Between us could not find anything to fault. Just wish we had booked longer.

Room Tip: If you are couple , book a family room. They were the same price on the web site and I think you wil...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comments, I am very pleased you loved your visit and felt at home this is a great compliment for us, I hope to welcome you back to New Place and De Vere Venues in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

The first 3 rooms were not acceptable due to blocked sink & bath, dirty room, dirty towels, unsuitable bed arrangement, or beds which dipped in middle & you could feel every spring; door lock was damaged, wardrobe doors were in bad condition; run down, toilet roll holder was broken.
We were kept waiting over 3 hours for a 4th room; although we were continuously promised "just 20 minutes more" for nearly 2 hours.
The 4th room was much better than the 3rd room, but it had dirty stained cups, dirty WC, curtains & sofa smelled of cigarette smoke, stained carpet, rationed toilet paper;
There was no "do not disturb sign"; a cleaner burst in when I was in the bathroom, after knocking & being told to come back later.
The operations manager argued that because I didn't raise these complaints until after checkout, it was fine.
The cleaners were stressed: they had to clean 22 rooms that morning, so couldn't give me a "do not disturb sign".
they said they work in pairs & are told they must clean each room in 12 minutes.
It doesn't make sense that they keep a guest waiting over 3 hours to change a room, if they clean a room in only 12 minutes!

Leisure: on arrival: closed at 4pm due to bank holiday, so we couldn’t use it.
Next day: full of children; over-crowded & too much chlorine, so not enjoyable.
Last day: the leisure was almost empty, but because my child is under 16, we were asked to leave, although they had allowed children to use the leisure throughout the day before & previously. The main reason we chose the hotel was for the leisure; Being told to leave the leisure destroys anyone's holiday.

The hotel is inconsistent in allowing children to use leisure.
Breakfast: adequate but disappointing.
Bar & restaurant staff: 2 stood out as very good.
Building: beautiful architecture & décor.
Operations manager: argumentative.
Manager: seemed a decent person; He must be oblivious to how the hotel's run.
By contrast, other de Veres are wonderful.
Had a dreadful, miserable time. 1st night was refunded, which is no compensation for a ruined holiday.

Room Tip: Top floor, near stairs or lift, check roof not leaking, check bathroom's clean, check if you can...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mel H

Dear Guest

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at New Place, and also dissapointed with your comments. After our conversation and my thourough investigation, I have responded in writing.

I am sorry that you found us to be child unfreindly we do welcome chidren of all ages but we have very clear Health and Safety guidelines regarding a childs use of the sauna and jacuzzi, I am sorry that my operation's manager or my team could not compromise on this point.

Thank you for your comments and personal feedback to me it is greatly appreciated, I believe we had adressed your feedback fairly and i am sorry we could not agree on the Health and safety issues, but I hope that going forward you will be able to understand my view point.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

This was our second visit to New Place the first being in April for my birthday. This venue is close to home so offered a moments relaxation before the Christmas madness.

The good about New Place are the rooms are separated from the main house offering privacy and quiet. They are chalets so there is no noise above or below you. The grounds are lovely and during the summer months lend themselves to picnics and celebrations.

We ordered room service and have to say the food was outstanding. It was hot and tasty and worth the £2.50 tray charge.

The bad well there was a couple of things that marred this trip, the first was the radiator in the bathroom was so hot that it caused burns. Sadly, there was no warning this was the case. On getting out of the shower I glanced the radiator and ended up with quite a nasty burn. The second thing was the Jacuzzi's chemical balance was too high and caused my partner to have a nasty reaction.

The ugly, well over Christmas we did not expect to have one person with a nasty burn on their bottom (much to the amusement of my family....lots of jokes) and the other half suffering a chemical reaction.

Also I would like to see some lighting in the car park as the ground is uneven.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dinahdors
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I stayed at New Place on Boxing Day Night with my Husband and son. When I booked the room I stated that it would be 2 adults and an infant staying and requested a cot. I followed this up with an email to ensure that a cot would be provided free of charge and was assured this was the case.

Upon checking in, I walked to the chalet style building and thought the room was looking a bit tired but not too bad. There was not a travel cot in the room so I had to phone reception and request one, I was a bit annoyed as I had double-checked but they did bring me a cot within 10 minutes of me phoning. The cot itself was rather nasty, had holes in the mesh at the side, was very rickety and creaked and squeaked whenever my one year old rolled over.

I also wasn't convinced we had been put in a family room as there was hardly any room to place the cot, it ended up blocking the wardrobe. I didn't bother questioning this as I was tired and running out of steam.

When I went for a shower in the morning, I was disappointed to see they don't supply the standard shampoo and conditioner, I understand this is something that cheaper hotel chains may not supply but I expect more from a De Vere. I did mention this to the receptionist when we checked out and was told "we are not a hotel".

We had paid extra for breakfast and where quite looking forward to it but when we arrived for breakfast at 9am, there was a queue and we were told there weren't any table available. there were two couples in front of us, one of which were an elderly couple, both with walking sticks who were being made to stand and wait.

With my one year old on my hip, who was by now very hungry, I decided we could not wait for 30mins for a table to become available.

Upon check-out I mentioned the lack of tables for breakfast to the receptionist and she kindly refunded the payment we had made for breakfast, but as I mentioned previously, was told "we are not a hotel".

I have stayed in worst places, but with a baby in tow, I thought I could rely on the de vere to provide us with somewhere to lay our heads for a good night's sleep and a good breakfast, I was severely disappointed when we had to return to my parent's the following morning tired and hungry.

Next Christmas we'll be booking into the Meon Valley Marriott down the road.

4  Thank Betty2606
Reviewed 28 December 2011

This has to be one of the most charming looking hotels I have ever driven up to, a beautiful, elegant country seat with huge and beautiful grounds covering over 30 acres of woodland, and landscaped gardens........ The only problem was I had to stay there!. My wife and I booked a three night stay to visit family in Southampton just prior to Xmas 2011, and would NOT recommend this hotel to others.

We arrived in the height of Christmas office-party season, and, as this hotel is primarily the main revenue stream of the hotel I will not dwell on the various pools of vomit that were found on each mornings stroll around the hotel grounds. Our room was in the accomodation "block" and was truly truly dreadful.

No remote for the TV on arrival, no drama, just mention it to reception, ask them to sort it whenever. Bathroom door only opens halfway before bouncing back off the door-stopper bashing the user in the foot/face (this may sound petty, but believe me it gets very annoying after 20 shocks). Empty crisp bags in the cupboard, no biggie, just mentioned to reception, sure it will get sorted. My coat slipped off the chair in the room, retrieved it covered in cobwebs and a friendly cockroach (pictured). 4 hours on still no remote, mentioned it to reception. Next day off to breakfast, which to my amusement was served in a tiny room three corridors walk ( with your breakfast ) away from where you were expected to eat it. I read this as I write it, and I know it looks bad, and I am not one to complain (please see my other reviews), but it gets far worse. Queue for ten minutes for breakfast, to go in to a tiny room, where after selecting your self service hot breakfast (which is delicious), you shuffle along to the "egg station" where I was offered three a fresh cooked egg, I chose poached, and was cheerily told "that will be ten minutes sir". Brilliant. Three corridors walk later, the egg was the warmest of an otherwise cold hot breakfast.

Back to the room, no remote. No prob, third ask. Off to dinner in town. Back at 1am, sounded like the wild west outside my room. No remote, cup of tea, (check out the scum covered kettle in the picture) so no tea, still got the crisp bags in the cupboard.

Breakfast, bigger queue, three corridors, cold food, but this time a wrongly set table which meant we both banged our knees on the collapsible sides of the table, as we sat. The difference this time was a waiter who swore loudly on a mobile phone before he cleared our plates before we had finished eating. Brilliant.

Back to the room, no remote, now complained, one arrived, my wife laughed as housekeeping brought us a remote control........wait for it........with a false eyelash still stuck to the underside. Brilliant, simply brilliant. Forgive me as I once again opened the bathroom door, only for it to bang back into my face for the tenth time, to advise everyone who reads this to NEVER NEVER visit this hotel.

3  Thank Richard L
Reviewed 23 December 2011

On arrival no help offered with luggage, some poorly lit areas, on arrival dirty toilet was the first thing we noticed, unable to shower due to the grime in the cubicle, stain on pillowcase, mould in top of wardrobe, paintwork in room is in need of attention, three quarter used toiletry already used in the bathroom, grubby hand towel, toilet brushes just stored outside the room for all to see, a couple having sex in the swimming pool changing rooms. I tried to organise a breakfast, reception told me to go to the restaurant, and after walking in the dark with my young daughter, on arrival at the restaurant I was told I needed to go back to reception to order it, very poor communication and untrained staff, we ended up with no breakfast, residents bringing their own alcohol onto the premises, woken early by dustbin men. I took my camera with the intention to take photo's of the grounds and hotel but instead I have taken photo's of the above to show my husband. All in all a nightmare from start to finish!

4  Thank Marilyn M
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!