“Comfortable hotel set in beautiful grounds” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Bristol
“Comfortable hotel set in beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed here for one night. The main house is very impressive and has the restaurant and bar and function rooms in it. We ate in the restaurant where the food was excellent, atmosphere very luxurious and the service very good and very friendly. The rooms are outside of the main house in rows of terraced chalets so the door to your room was outside. The room was of medium size but clean and the shower room was very clean. We used the swimming pool and spa which was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is set in lovely grounds which are well worth a walk around and the patio area at the back of the house is very impressive.

A lovely hotel set in lovely grounds with good facilites.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding New Place especially your comments regarding our friendly and helpful staff. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and your overall experience. I am glad you enjoyed our grounds as they are just coming to life, there are some excellent spring offers available from March through to May, if you would like to visit a little later in the year. We look forward to welcoming you back to New place.

Traveller tip,
Please check out our web site for our Spring

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Dunmow, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed at the Devere New Place for a visit to our daughter in Southampton, we had two very nice rooms, even if our furnishings were a little dark? our Son's bathroom had been refurbished and was v. nice.
The hospitality from beginning to end....was great, in particular the chef preparing the eggs for breakfast was a STAR, he was very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble and he really made a difference to the whole breakfast experience, the food was excellent too. The dining rooms are lovely, as is the main (historical) building and are beautifully appointed. It was a sunny weekend so we walked around the grounds on the trim trail and had a sit in the sunshine before leaving.... if there is a criticism it would be that this hotel is quite a distance from Southampton, between 20-30 mins drive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback, especially regarding our star at breakfast, I will pass on your comments to him, as I am sure he will be very encouraged by them. We are very pleased that you and your family had a great time at New Place. We look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues we hope in the not to distant future.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

After an awful few months and the stress of trying to plan a wedding, My fiance and I decided to take a few days out and stay at New Place after finding a great deal online.

I was abit sceptical about staying due to some reviews on Trip Advisor as my fiance is very very fussy but for the price we thought it would be worth a try.

Stayed in room 104 (not in the main building) - grounds were absolutley beautiful, staff couldnt be more helpful and welcoming, room was clean, bed was very comfy. We rang reception a few times to ask questions about the spa, bar etc and nothing was too much trouble to ask.

Breakfast was lovely, big selection including full english, cereals, yoghurts, fruit and pastrys. Definatley excellent value for money. The breakfast staff were great.

I agree with some of the reviews about the evening menu in the main restaurant bieng a bit limited as I am a fussy eater but there were 2 or 3 great pubs in walking distance from the hotel and we did eat from the bar menu twice. For lunch I had a BLT and my fiance had a homemade burger - food was absolutley superb and good portions. We also ate from the bar menu one evening and had Pizza's - The bar was quite busy so we ate in the Franklyn room - There was just the two of us in there and I thought we would get forgotten about but the staff were just as attentive.

Definatley have to have a walk in the grounds - They are lovely and there is also a little fitness track.

Took my laptop to do abit of work and ended up in the coffee lounge - Free teas and coffees, juice, biscuits etc... Everytime I went in the lounge it was nice and quiet - WiFi was easy to connect and worked fine.

Spa was just what we needed - very relaxing, it did get busy at times but we made sure we went either first thing or a few hours before closing and seemed to miss the rush.

All in all I cannot fault our stay - Even my fiance had nothing to moan about! We ended up extending our stay by an extra night and have booked to stay here the night of our wedding as we are getting married in the area. Have seen some great deals advertised within the hotel for stays from March to May so will definatley be re booking for another long weekend in the very near future!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments, and great feedback, we very much hope you will stay with us on your wedding night it is a great compliment that you would stay with us on such a special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Ashford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My sister had booked my husband and i in to New Place for a night away and we decided to make a long weekend of it and added the Friday night as well.
The staff are very helpful and its clear that customers opinions of the hotel matter.

The food in the main restaurant is lovely but the choice is very limited.
This means for my husband who is very fussy that he is now facing a second night of eating the exact same meal as he will only eat the steak (at a £5 supplement).
We did get some complementary drinks after our meal last night as when we were seated at are table my husband and i were unable to put are knees under the table due to it being laid up the wrong way round which left us uncomfortable but my husband did not want to make a fuss.
I waited until we had finished are meal and told the waiter as we are not very tall and a taller person would really struggle to sit at the table. He was most apologetic and came into the bar and offered us a free drink which was not expected and shows that they care about the customers.
The rooms are in chalet type blocks and my husband joked about us being at Butlins!!!
The rooms are small and basic and the £49 we paid for BB is the most i would pay as although the main building is lovely the bedrooms let it down and you get more for less money staying at a Premier Inn.
I did look at reviews on here to see what to expect and agree with lots of the other reviews its a average Hotel its not bad but could be better!!!

Room Tip: We had room 29 which is on an end so at least you only get noise from one side!!
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on our Venue New Place, especially your comments on our staff, which are very well received.
Thank you for comments regarding the Restaurant, our chef writes the dinner menu’s daily using local produce wherever possible, and all dishes are prepared in our kitchens. We offer six starters, six mains and six desserts including local cheeses, this is supported by A la carte dishes where supplements’ apply. Our chefs’ are always happy to prepare dishes to suit our guests’ requirements.
I am sorry to note your discomfort at the table before your meal, we had made a mistake setting this up which could have easily have been rectified for your comfort, but delighted to see one of our waiting staff following up and offering a drink, as way of an apology.
We do hope that our prices reflect total value for our venue as included in the price paid. full English buffet breakfast for two, use of our pool and gym and tennis courts and free parking and free wifi.. All of our guest’s can relax in our 32 acres and enjoy our beautiful manor house designed by Edward Luyten’s,

Thank you for your feedback we do care what our customers say and where possible we action the points we can to improve our guest experience. We hope to welcome you back to Venues in the not too distant future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I have stayed at New Place many time and really feel it one of the better hotels in the Southampton Area. New Place is beautifully maintained and definitely deserves a walk around the grounds whenever you have time. The rooms are more than spacious, the disabled access room especially so! Definitely book for dinner - everything is equisitely presented and tastes amazing, with an obvious air of professionalism. This hotel is suitable for those wanting a romantic weekend, a business stop over or even for all the family. Both the sauna swimming pool are always clean, as is the gym..definitely give everything a try! Ps. Look out for offers - have stayed there for £19 many times!

Room Tip: Any room is good and with easy walking distance of everything!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie G
Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive feedback and kind comments especially regarding our restaurant. It is great to see that you have stayed with us many times. It is very encouraging seeing such comments from a regular guest. We look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Tavistock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

The official pictures are of the main building, which is beautiful, but is only for functions, and where the restaurant is - the actual bedrooms are in buts outside. The huts have little insulation so are cold, and you can hear everything being said in the adjoining rooms! They are also dated and could do with smartening up - I've stayed in many De Vere hotels in the past, and this one is by no means up to the regular De Vere standard. I would only recommend it for families on an activity holiday - definitely not for a romantic holiday or any kind of luxury.
However, the restaurant was fantastic, and the food and service was without fault.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerrance1
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Traveller

Thank you for your comments, regarding De Vere Venue New Place. I will investigate your observations with my maintenance engineer regarding the rooms insulation, each room has fully adjustable heating controls for guest comfort. I am sorry you felt the room to be cold we would have been happy to supply additional heating if required.

I am pleased that you had a fantastic experience in our restaurant and hope you will continue using De Vere in the future.

Travellers tip.

Please review the De Vere Venue website for New Place there is a site map that can be viewed and downloaded which supports the description.
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I attended a wedding at the New Place in Feb 2012. I booked my room in advance to be prepared but when I went to book in that day I was told I had to stay down the road as they had overbooked the hotel. They were more than happy to take my money and confirm the room but change at the last minute which was a huge inconvenience for me.

I was told that as I excepted the room at the Marroitt I could not get a refund, what was I meant to do as I could nt drive home as I had attended a wedding and drank alcohol. Maybe I should of got a refund then and there and stayed in a room with another guest from the wedding.

It was a complete inconvenience from the hotel and i am appalled at how they are trying to cover up their mistake and make it seem as its my fault.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone as they are not here to help, just to cover their mistakes and book guests where they want. You probably would nt get to stay there anyway even if you wanted too.

Also beware of promotinal deal as you will be treated as a cheaper guest and not regarded as a full paying guest

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank stacey b
Dear Traveller

I am sincerely sorry that you were booked out from New Place, we fully accept that it was our fault as a result of a one off human error with our booking system.

We take situations like this seriously, considering the possible impact this could have on our guests and the overall event. To try and communicate our error and offer a resolution we phoned you three times and e-mailed you in advance of arrival.

On arrival at reception our operations manager met with you and your husband, offered sincere apologies and agreed a course of action. We accept this was extremely inconvenient to you both, and in such a situation had done our utmost to ensure free transport and upgrade to a quality Hotel.

I am sorry that in retrospect that you did not think that this was appropriate but I hope that I have resolved the situation for you to your full satisfaction after our call.

Mark.
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,604 reviews

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!