“Excellent”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My partner and myself stayed at this wonderful hotel for one night. the manor is a beautiful building with lots of history, the rooms where a good size, big comfortable bed, flat screen TV - all the usual amenities just at a very high level. Clean hotel - friendly staff. nice pool, quite small (cozey) sauna and a nice spa. I would greatly recomend this hotel
Having said all of this we only paid £20 for the room because of a deal emailed out. so I can't rate this on value as I don't actually know the value. but I would have easily paid much much more if I had too.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarldotYoung
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your excellent feedback and I am pleased you had great value for money at £20 for your room. I am pleased that you would re-visit and thank you for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,454)

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few days before Christmas 2012 on route to Somerset.
The hotel / manor house looked lovely but the customer service was appalling!
When entering the hotel bedroom it was boiling hot!! Also the bathroom was extremely compact.
Myself and my partner had a terrible night, the plan was to lay in and then set off for the road again, by the time we arrived at the hotel and settled in our room I was extremely annoyed after giving the room a few hours to cool down with the windows open plus might I add it was raining! But it didn’t cool down it was like a SAUNA!!! I didn't even want to stay because it was so hot; we decided to go for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel, when asking for a table at the reception part of the restaurant the staff members x2 didn’t even turn around to look at us. No eye contact what so ever, I had to talk to her back!! RUDE!
When asking for a table she said there wasn’t any they were full. This was still with her back towards me!!
By this time I was furious the customer service was appalling and the room was unbearable.
We ended up going to an Indian nearby that was FANTASTIC, thanks to them that was the only benefit of our little trip.
I asked my partner if he wanted to just leave and not bother with the room as we wouldn’t be able to sleep in it because it was so hot! But we tried to sleep and must have got an hour sleep, we were so annoyed we didn’t get our lie in together and left at 6am just to get away! It was a terrible drive for the both of us. Struggling to keep our eyes open because of the terrible night sleep!!

Room Tip: Dont bother!
2  Thank Louise M

Dear Louise

I am sorry you had such a poor experience on this occasion, at New Place, especially at The restaurant.. Please may I suggest that you contact me personally to discuss. Even with such poor feedback I would like to act positively but it is very difficult as we can not verify when you stayed or which room and clarity would assist me greatly in taking corrective action.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

Again used this hotel's stay and cruise package in late 2012 after doing so in late 2011 and we were very impressed yet again. Standards still just as high and we thoroughly recommend using this hotel if you are heading out of and back to Southampton on a cruise.

Room Tip: Stay in a ground floor room if you have plenty of cruise luggage.
3  Thank GrahamandSueR
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Graham and Sue
Thank you for your review and staying with us again on our cruise and stay package. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and I hope you had a wonderful cruise out of Southampton.

Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

Sitting having breakfast in the beautiful dining room with its wonderful plasterwork, magnificent fireplace and superb panelling it is hard not to be impressed. The breakfast buffet has a very good selection of fruit, cereals, breads and plenty of cooked food. There are fresh juices and eggs cooked to order so one is well set up for the day. Another great bonus is the availability of complimentary freshly made coffee at any time . The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds, tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board and flat screen TV. Free wifi is a welcome addition.
The staff are well trained and attentive. Get on their mailing list and you'll be surprised at the great deals on offer. Recommended.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Peroma1

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am delighted that we are still impressing you. I am pleased you are making use of our great offers and thank you for your recommendation.
I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

This was our second visit to New Place, this speaks for its self. Our first visit in April 2011, a family wedding! All I can say is wow. Fantastic service, manager Mark was truly fabulous. All the staff made the day beautiful. New Place is the perfect setting for a April wedding as the grounds are perfect for photos. We stayed in a family room. It was very clean, spacious and modern. My 15 year old soon enjoyed the pool and towels were provided for the leisure facilities. Breakfast was ample, excellent quality and eggs were cooked to order. Perfect.
We have just returned from our second 2 night stay, I expected to be put in a sub standard room because we paid £39 a night but yet again, EXCELLENT. We had a first class meal in the main house restaurant at £27 a head for 3 courses, it we well presented and good value, I highly recommend it! Well done to all the staff at New Place! We will be returning!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Madeinportsmouth

Thank you for your excellent review, I am pleased you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the comments on my staff and for your recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Many thanks

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We have stayed here before and have some very fond memories of New Place. As always we were greeted warmly at reception as we checked in. The rooms are a short walk from the main house which is where we met up with the rest of our group for lunch, also bumping into David (the manager) who was busy, but not so much so that he didn't have time to say hello to all of us. We all agreed to meet back at the bar at seven for a drink before the meal, which was a five course extravaganza. The food was excellent, the waiting staff attentive and the party atmosphere was game,with all age groups joining in! We all had a superb experience, good rest and the breakfast was upto is usual very high standard. We would recommend this to hotel all age groups as the on site pool and facilities cater for anybodies needs. The grounds are beautiful whatever the weather.

Room Tip: Theres a coffee lounge with internet access by reception
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2013

Dear Rob and Judi

Thank you for your feedback on your New year stay at New Place. I am very pleased David and his team looked after you so well. I would also like to thank you for your recommendation it is most welcome.
We look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

Stayed for two nights in December to see christmas market in Winchester, Not as good as expected of a Devere hotel.
Rooms were all off site of the beautiful hotel building,and the first impression was poor as we arrived at our room and could hardley get through the door for leaves, as there hadn't been any wind for days it was obvious no one had swept the doorway for days.
room pleasant but nothing we couldn't have got in a premiere inn,at half the price and although the bed was made each day the bathroom hadn't even had a wipe over for the two days we were there. there was also cob webbs on the ceiling in the bedroom, not what you expect from this hotel

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Traveller Tip
We would urge all of our guest to review our web site on there we provide a site map clearly showing our Venues layout.

Dear Lynn S

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at De Vere Venues New Place, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations.
We are set in 32 acres and have hundreds of trees on site and there is a constant challenge during the autumn and winter months and I am sorry that you found it difficult to get through the doorway because of leaves, I can honestly say this is the first time we have ever had such feedback, and I am sorry for this inconvenience.
I do hope you would visit us again, I do accept we are a different offering from Premier Inn, but I hope we offer a lot more included in our price such as free wifi, free tea and coffee in lounges, use of our leisure facilities and tennis courts, 32 acres to walk in, free car parking, room service and full food and beverage facilities situated in our grade 1 listed manor house.
I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place, when I am sure we will guarantee you a better experience, and we do offer some great rates through our “Lovin” offers on line.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!