“Very good if not quite as grand as it first appears”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Stayed for one night while on a business trip to the area. The main building is very grand - Edwardian style magnate's house with lots of wood paneling and fancy ceilings. The accommodation is a little walk away in add-on buildings - all rooms appear to open direct to the outside, so beware if it is likely to rain. My room was smallish but perfectly adequate with a good shower, comfortable bed etc. It was clean and warm despite the cold winter's night outside. The food in the restaurant was very good indeed and my colleague and I had an enjoyable meal. Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice. Overall I would happily stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Googly2010
Write a ReviewReviews (1,491)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

stayed here for 1 night this week and it was fabulous , lovely setting in huge grounds , the rooms were very nicely appointed and warm , with a lovely hot powerful shower.

the food was divine also with great service .

very convenient for exploring the southampton area with beautiful surroundings for the evenings.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your lovely feedback and that you found the food to be divine. I hope I can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place in 2014, have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

My stay here was for a work function. I found the staff on reception to be very welcoming and was quickly in my room. The room was a little small, but had everything I needed and was comfortable with a nice bed.

Myself and a couple of colleagues had late lunch in the bar followed by a meeting. We struggled to get drinks as no-one was staffing the bar so it required someone to go down to the restaurant to collar a member of staff.

We attended a private function at the hotel in the evening, which was well staffed and the food was excellent.

The breakfast was a little disappointing, but I think this is due to the late time at which I attended it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, I hope we can welcome you back in 2014. Have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was our 2nd visit this year & we had booked the cruise package this time. We got bed, breakfast & dinner, plus a taxi to the port & back, for £189. We then left our car at the hotel for the 2 weeks we were away.
Taxi booked at a time to suit us, we sat with our luggage & got picked up from reception. But the driver would help you with your luggage from your room, if needed. Just rang the taxi firm on our return, once off the ship & had collected our luggage. Taxi was prompt.

Lovely hotel with brilliant staff. In such beautiful surroundings. We especially enjoyed our evening meal & felt the package was good value as the meal was delicious & of such a high standard.
Breakfast buffet good too, with lots of choice.

Enjoyed a couple of swims in the pool, which wasn't busy.

We left our cruise luggage in the car overnight & just took our overnight bag into the room. If you take all your luggage into the bedroom with you, then ask for a ground floor room. room was clean & comfy. Has tea & coffee making facilities but (free) coffee is available at all times, from the coffee room, next to reception.

Will def book this package again, if sailing from Southampton.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fue

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that you enjoyed your 2nd stay, I hope we can welcome you back in 2014. Have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Lovely venue for a wedding ,beautiful drive leading into a entrance that was lovely, a waiting room with a bar to meet other guest, before the wedding. After you walk through a patio ideal for photo.There is a separate room for the wedding breakfast and evening reception it is a short walk through a patio. The food was one of the best I have eaten this year and I have been to seven weddings up to date.there was coffee or tea and cold water available on tap handy if you are driving. The staff were very helpful nothing was to much trouble and friendly. On the minus side I had to park between trees near a area that is used for team building days that was a bit isolated when walking to my car it was quite dark by the time I went home

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, and the wedding celebration. Thank you for your comments on the food. I hope we can welcome you back in 2014. Have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

We stayed here as wedding guests, in a first floor room sat atop the swimming pool enclosure, and found the room to be very comfortable - if not particularly large - with the added benefit of opening windows (which afforded a pleasant view of a shared courtyard). The room was quiet and well-appointed, and met our needs well. We partook of the luncheon menu, and found it to be very good indeed; who would have thought that a De Vere would do fish-finger sandwiches? But they were excellent. Evening buffet food was top-notch, as were the dance facilities - which were suitably (and sensibly) placed away from rooms - and the cooked breakfast was very good too. So, all in all, a great venue, but the room could have been a wee bit larger.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay and the wedding celebration, I hope we can welcome you back in 2014. Have a great Christmas.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend after I booked a reservation for a surprise for my husbands birthday. We didn't arrive until late on the Friday night but were greeted by a lovely gentleman who introduced us to the hotel and facilities.
First impressions were excellent and our room was modern, clean and tidy and the bed was super comfy! One thing I would like to suggest is a mirror in the bedroom as there was only one in the bathroom and we all know that using electrical items like a hairdryer in the bathroom is not the best idea.
Breakfast on both mornings was fantastic and there was ample of choice, however on the second morning we were left standing around while they cleared tables for us and other guests.
My biggest disappointed was the service on Saturday evening. After a lovely day in Winchester we returned to the hotel and called the reception to make a reservation for that evening in the restaurant only to be told sorry we are full (Surely any hotel should be able to cater for all of their guests). However we were told that we could eat in the bar and after seeing it we thought well that's not too bad.
We arrived into the bar dressed for dinner to be greeted by a big television screen blaring out daytime TV, which for us completely ruined the ambience for such a lovely hotel. We again asked if we could be squeezed in the restaurant and were told to get a drink and someone would be back to let us know. After purchasing our drinks (a bottle of wine) I asked if we could have a wine cooler only to be told I would need to go and ask reception! Since when do you serve chilled wine without a cooler or actually have to go and get it yourself? Was I not the customer?! Later that evening I then saw a wine bottle being served put in a plastic jug with ice (clearly there is a wine cooler shortage at this hotel). After 20 minutes no one returned about eating in the restaurant so I went back to the restaurant to ask and was again told there was no room. I even said I was prepared to eat at 9.30pm but again the answer remained no.
We ordered our food in the bar and took a table. Our starters came out after about 20 minutes but we then had to wait another 50 minutes for our main at which point we had had enough of waiting as well as listening to the TV, so sent them back. In my eyes my husbands birthday weekend was ruined as this was our only night at the hotel where we were hoping to enjoy a lovely evening.
One of the managers came over to apologise and offered us complimentary drinks however we did think it was unfair that the blame was put on a young lad who had to work the bar and restaurant drinks pretty much by himself. It was soon obvious that there was both a wedding and party going on at this hotel that evening and I feel that this was their priority over other paying guests. What was more upsetting is that other guests who had eaten in the restaurant that evening said that at no point when they were in their was it full. There are definitely so many nice things I could say about this hotel but my experience, well experiences on the Saturday night has ruined it for me.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam H

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that you were unable to dine in the restaurant on Saturday night as the restaurant was indeed full. I am sorry that you felt the guests attending the private party and wedding took priority, but these guests were all residents and had dinner included in the rate. I understand that you had a great rate of £35 for the room per night with breakfast and that you enjoyed breakfast. We do offer dinner, bed and breakfast deals subject to availability and start from £99 per night.
I do hope you will visit New Place again in 2014 and take advantage of our great inclusive deals.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
Botleigh Grange Hotel
Botleigh Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!