“good value for money”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have visited here several times whilst travelling to Portsmouth to visit my partner. this hotel offers good value for money at £49 for a double room per night. The rooms are fully equipped with tea/coffee making facilities, hair dryer, TV etc. They offer a room service menu which has something for everyone. whilst here you have use of the gym/sauna/swimming pool. the pool is average and functional with a Jacuzzi, the sauna is small about 4 people max but still it was quiet whilst we were there so no problems really. we had to change rooms once due to an infestation of ladybirds!!! once I had reported it to reception and requested a room change they were more than happy to change us, they only issue was we had to take a room which had no bath only shower (our original room had a bath and shower) again not a massive issue for us as we just needed a shower. The bar in the main house is very cosy, lovely setting and even has a TV for the guys to watch football! drinks are slightly pricey but the bar food is fairly priced. the menu is varied and they will cater to your needs for example changing a bun for a wrap etc etc. they do offer breakfast but we have never sampled this, apparently is an all you can buffet style and you pay an extra £8 for this although I think slightly less if paying in advance. we had a really great time here on a budget would recommend it for short stays.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive and helpful review of your stay here at New Place. We are a great base to visit three great cities in our area. I do hope you will make use of our great offers and visit again, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,493)

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the De Vere Shirrell Health on the 8th of March. We were greated by friendly staff on reception who gave us all the information we needed for our night stay. The rooms are located away from the old building. Our room was extremely clean. I do feel though maybe the decor could of been a little more brighter, but this was a personal thing as what was in the room was more than adequate. We had the wine and dine special offer of room, meal/wine and breakfast. The menu was a 3 course set meal, but because I was not able to eat meat or cheese the chef catered for my needs and made a beautiful main. The service in the restaurant was excellent, our waiter was extremely good. The meal was of high standard, piping hot and delicious. Breakfast was equally of high standard and again service was extremely good. The hotel has beautiful grounds too. A good stay, thank you very much De Vere

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review of the De Vere Venue New Place, I am so pleased you enjoyed experience in the restaurant our chef is always happy to assist with dietary request.
I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

have stayed here numerous times now and the only thing I can fault is the parking on a Saturday night (they usually have a wedding going on) as we have had to park down in the dark in dingly dell. but other than that comfy, clean rooms. Great breakfast and evening meals are served in the manor house restaurant or bar meals available in the bar or your room. can be a little late night noise but nothing major and you can get wet walking to the manor house of a morning if its raining (but the rain is warm in Hampshire anyway). Bar prices are the only really expensive part and the pool and small gym are free if your staying overnight. Enjoy

Room Tip: not near the pool as it gets too warm in the rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thought us great value for money. I do hope if you are visiting the area again we will be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

When I leave a hotel in the morning I am usually looking forward to returning to the comforts of my own surroundings. Well with this hotel, I was genuinely saddened to leave after only one night.

We stayed at New Place on the 7th of February for my birthday and was stunned by the overall experience.

From the outset of arriving at the reception we were over hearing guests that were checking out who were obviously pleased with their stay due to the nature of the pleasantries between the reception staff and the guests.

We found the reception team very friendly, courteous and professional. They found time to talk to us about our visit and gave us accurate instructions where to locate our room and about the hotel dining times.

Once in our room we had a rummage around to familiarise ourselves to our surroundings. The room was impressive. Very clean, well presented and with all the complimentries you would expect from a hotel. The bed was very large and comfortable and the only criticism is that I had to share it with my wife.

After we settled we went for a wonder around the grounds which are quite expansive. They even provide a map to guide you around. With the bad weather, and also being February the gardener must have been hard at work as the grounds were in a good, tidy condition.

The pool was a good size and was adjoined with a Jacuzzi, sauna which had views towards the Gym. (we did not attend the gym but it did appear to be well equipped). What we did notice there was a member of staff constantly making sure that pool side was tidy. If he wasn’t mopping the floor he was tidying where woggles were etcetera.

At dinner, we were served by a team that obviously enjoy their jobs. They were extremely attentive and polite at all times and watching them they were obviously trained to the highest standards. Even when a large table was having their food brought out, there was a member of staff between the two rooms watching to see if anyone needed attention. Brilliant !

The food was exquisite and was very prompt without being rushed, and again, attention was being paid to our satisfaction or requirements. I was even presented with an iced fruit cake with a candle.

We left the restaurant and retired to the bar where the experience of perfect customer service continued. We were acknowledged by the friendly barman even though he was already serving, then when completing that transaction, apologised for the delay (there was no delay) and enquired what we would be drinking. Even the way the drinks were poured was undertaken with style and etiquette. By the time we left the bar area we were already talking about how impressive the service had been in all areas we had visited.

We retired to our room and a comfortable night’s sleep followed.

After a shower and freshen up in the morning we attended the restaurant again for breakfast; full English, fruit, and continental breakfast with a variety of cereals, what more could you ask for. Again the staff were superb; inviting you to a table, enquiring about your night’s stay and engaging in polite conversation. Again the food was obviously of a higher standard and was well presented by way of a buffet.

We checked out and again found a continued interest on how we found our stay with genuine interest from the reception team.

It is rare for people to put down in words to praise a company or organisation. People will only find time to complain.

Everybody from all areas seemed to work as a unit. Credit and I mean all credit to the entire team at the De Vere New Place.

Chris and Leeanne

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter. The whole hotel was an absolute pleasure to use.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Chris and Leeanne
Thank you for your lovely review of the Venue and my team, it is always a pleasure to share such great feedback with them. As you say it is great when such feedback is received and very encouraging for my team, to know our guests enjoyed their experience. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I agree with previous ratings about things looking tired and a bit run down. Staff need to be picked up about getting the basics right and how to make customers happy.
A stay in this type of hotel should be a special stay but facilities made the stay more like a bog standard travel lodge. Shame really as beautiful manor house and surrounds which are let down by some pretty basic elements. Such as; not having family bedroom ready (there was no child's bed set up despite booking 2 months ago for a wedding stay). When arriving after a long journey with a child this is aggravating. Newspaper should be at door as specified in guest info card - not having to complain to reception then be told that you have to collect it! (Granted it did arrive after complaint).

Guest info cards were sticky, and stained. Room basic but nicely finished. TV reception laughable (back to 1980's grainy pictures). Signage outside is faded and tacky. Management should try reading the signs as they are hardly readable under the street lights (when first arriving it is really hard to find where to go).

Oh and don't even consider the bar prices!! £4.70 for an Archers with lemonade. Most drinks at the wedding reception worked out about £5 each.

Breakfast was enjoyable with a nice selection but get in early as some items are not replenished (waffles / pancakes / fruit etc!) And please please tell the kitchen to get decent fruit juice. A hotel of this kind should not be serving something that tastes watered down concentrate and like it just came out of the value supermarket range. Where's Alex Polizzi when we need her?!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Top Traveller Tip Please verify room number to help a proactive and informed response to address any issues.
Dear Traveller
Thank you for your feedback I am sorry on this occasion you felt your stay only Average to poor, not a standard we aspire to. I am sorry not to be able to give your review an informed response, however generally an extra bed is selected by selecting the number of children as our family rooms are not permanently set up with extra beds. I apologise that the news paper was not delivered it has been suspended as we have experienced some very extreme weather conditions, and did not want the papers to end up in Waterlooville, clearly we should have explained this. I am sorry as with the previous comments you think the signage tacky and faded, the green is actually the correct colour we use and admittedly “Keep Calm Keep Ssssh” is maybe not the normal signage you would expect say at a Premier Inn, but we do try to be different.
I believe our bar prices are comparable and cheaper to most of our competitors and local pubs in Wickham, I sorry you feel that this is not the case.
Please may I assure the Travelling Community we do refill the buffet items, as with any help yourself buffet at peak times there are occasions when we will have a run on a particular items and they will need to replenished and also all of our orange juice is 100% juice and not watered down.
kind regards

Reviewed 3 March 2014

As we are De Vere members elsewhere, we had a special B&B rate, nevertheless staff were professional and helpful, food quality good, our annex ground floor room was nicely equipped if small. The grounds surrounding are full of trees and walks, the hotel building fascinating and atmospheric.
Lovely countryside in the area, hence it was a busy place. We would return for sure.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndyLFC_9
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review I am pleased that as a De Vere leisure member you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be professional and helpful. I hope I can welcome you back to New Place.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stayed for a weekend in one of the bungalows.
Be aware! - you can only check in post 3pm (or they add a Huge Fee!) which is of no use if you are attending a wedding there!!
Be aware! - we checked in and informed we had Included breakfast(s), and indeed we were fast tracked at breakfast (so pre listed). Upon check out, was then presented with a very large Breakfast Bill, and told it wasn't included 'as standard' but 'was included for additional fee!' (?) Other people in our party had the same experience.

Arrived and the room was very cold (Central heating turned right down) requested an electric heater; returned later and the room (central heating) was now working (on!) and the room was ridiculously hot ; there seems no compromise, the (central) heating was flat out or switched off centrally.
The room was nice and clean, on a par with a Travelodge, in terms of quality; with a tv, iron, tea&coffee, and bathroom.
Though there was evidence everywhere of 'cost savings' - large patches of paint over, broken doors (fixed) cracked tiles.... Very poor quality television (not even HD), Cheap shower gel, and toilet papar that brough back memories of School days !! woeful.
Silly (faded) plastic laminate signs everywhere, which is a great shame, as this really made what could have been quite nice, feel very cheap.
The bed was very comfortable, with great bed linen.

Overall It was satisfactory, but De Veer does seem to be trading on its former 'quality' name, but now is only on a par with any average Travelodge.
Penny pitching (money saving) at every opportunity detracts from the over all ambiance.
Satisfactory, but please, don't rip us off with Fees like breakfast and early check in fees, (we were attending a wedding with you!)

This particular location is also very remote, so be aware that taxis are rare and Very expensive.

Room Tip: watch out for the HUGE 'early check in' before 3pm fee penalty!! (especially if you are atte...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank worlddivingtraveller

Dear Traveller
Thank you for your constructive review. I am sorry that you overall your stay with us was only ok. Our policy is guaranteed check in from 3pm we do charge, for a pre 12 noon arrival, a fee of £25, generally to guarantee this we have to put the room off the night before. However it is very rare we levy the charge as we usually will accommodate our guests request for free if we have their room type serviced and ready before 3pm. As our guests do not have to vacate their rooms until 11am and with 110 rooms it is not always possible to meet every guest’s request.
With regard to breakfast, on our website guests can pre-book breakfast at a discounted rate which is additional to the room rate and I believe quite clear on our website. Our guests choose the rate that best suits them, and also at check in we can offer the discounted rate of £8.50 for the all you can eat breakfast buffet, for those who have booked a room only rate, but this does need to be paid for on check out, I am sorry if this was not clear.
I am sorry that you felt that we cut costs at every opportunity, as a De Vere Venue we offer extremely good value rates and add value to our guests stay, as we give free unlimited wi-fi to all our guests, free unlimited tea and coffee in our lounges, free parking, free use of our leisure facilities including the tennis courts.
Please may I assure our travelling community we do not rip our guests off with hidden charges and it is never our intention to provoke this response and I am very sorry that this guest has this opinion of us as a result of this stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
Botleigh Grange Hotel
Botleigh Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Best Western Chilworth Manor Hotel

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!