“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Nr Tunbridge Wells
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Another good stay here at New Place.
Fantastic hotel- highly recommended. We didn't originally book breakfast, but we are glad we did. Very comfortable room and facilities are excellent. We used the pool and walked around the grounds.
Bar drinks are a little pricey and limited sitting outside on the terrace, but we would definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and you highly recommended comments. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week, working. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The sound proofing was dreadful and I could hear my neighbour intimate relationships, breaking wind and showering.

For business purposes the conference facilities were great. The food tasted lovely, particularly the meat.

The service was dreadful in the restaurant and bar and almost Fawlty Towers. I waited 20 minutes in the bar before the barman arrived as he was waiting tables (9pm).

Vegetarians got a rough deal and their food was not well thought out. E.g we had melon and Parma ham. They had melon! We had all finished our meal before the vegetarians were served, if we had waited ours would have been cold. When we raised the waiting time one waitress said, well we had to serve the meat first. This was on all six large tables before the vegetarian food was served.

All in all, beautiful, great conference facilities and staff, lovely grounds and spacious rooms, tasty food but let down by the sound proofing and restaurant and bar service.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review may I say I am sorry that you felt the vegetarian options were poor as were the service, as I understand the feedback from your conference was excellent, and the feedback from our guests who prefer the vegetarian options has been good. I am pleased you enjoyed the conference facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights and the motel-style layout of the hotel is odd for the UK (it reminded me of an old holiday camp in some regards) but no problem for me as I had a room close to the car park. The downside is that you have to go outside to go anywhere and you can hear every word anyone walking past says, especially if you have your window open!

The food in the restaurant is good and I cannot fault the service, which was extremely good.

The service from the reception staff was excellent and the girl who checked me in and out was great. When the wifi had problems on one of the nights (there were several short power cuts while I was there) the staff were aware of the problem and it was repaired the next day. When the wifi worked it was very fast.

Positives of the room - plenty of sockets, a good firm bed, plenty of room and desktop space. The bathroom was well lit and the shower was perfect.

Negatives of the room - the TV system that shows a very odd selection of channels - Sky Sports 1 and 3 but not 2, Euronews but not Sky News, Eurosport 2 but not Eurosport, Radio 2 but not BBC3. The carpets need replacing - as guests walk from outside straight into the room the carpets will naturally wear out quite quickly.

The biggest negative was the cleaning. At first glance it wasn't dirty and the bedroom area was fine, but the bathrooms seemed to be done in a hurry from the point of view of a cleaner and without the level of attention you'd expect and from the point of view of the guest, for example, nobody had closed the bathroom door and sat on the toilet to see what needed cleaning - there was thick dust and dirt on the wall behind the door which would be obvious to any guest; another example, nobody has stood in the shower and looked at the clock which was covered in thick dust, clearly visible from the shower but not from just standing in the bathroom; another - nobody has sat in the bath and looked at the toilet where you can see the amount of dirt and staining under the toilet rim - clearly visible to a guest in the bath but not from just standing over the toilet. If these little points were sorted, I would have rated the hotel 4 out of 5 and not 3.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback, on your stay. I am very pleased that the experience of customer care was excellent, and sorry that you felt the cleaning in the bathroom let us down on this occasion. This morning I shared the feedback with the housekeeping team to be more conscious of the “guest View”, which I thank you for as a valuable insight from our guest perspective.
I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place.
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Spent a Sunday night at the hotel and had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Overall, hard to fault the hotel, especially given the price. There are posher hotels, but if you want a place to stay to go and see the Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth the place is hard to beat. Nice grounds, quiet comfortable room with a good sized car park. Both dinner and breakfast were good and hard to fault.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend break here at New Place. We are a great base to explore the Solent. I hope to welcome you back to New Place.
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The original house on the site housing the bar and restaurant has the potential to be stunning. Unfortunately, threadbare furniture and split leather gives it an air of tiredness. Due to the sites focus on conferences there has been what I could only describe as 50's chalet style blocks built all around. Our tiny room was in one of these. The bathroom had been updated to a good standard but the bedroom area had seen better days. The sheets, pillows and duvet were clean and in a good state of repair but placed on top were stained, again threadbare velour cushions and bedspread. The room also smelt like it needed a good airing. The menu for an evening meal was limited and after seeing our room we decided to go off site instead to eat as our impression were not favourable. This is a shame as the food at breakfast was actually fairly good.
All the staff were efficient, friendly and always acknowledged you.
The hotel manager is obviously very good at getting the best from thier team but they are all let down by what seems to be a lack of funding to maintain the rooms, some furniture and soft furnishings leaving the place feeling slightly seedy...

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen F
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, whilst the title is colourful I will try to be proactive with your feedback and share with my team, as I believe you have some valid points.
Many thanks
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here for a family get together and thought it was a very nice place with beautiful grounds. We had dinner and breakfast for the 2 nights of our stay. The first night we ate in the smaller function room for our party of 20 and then the main dining area the second night which had a good atmosphere. Dinner and Breakfast were very good both days. Rooms were more than adequate and had everything you needed. Enjoyed using the pool and gym facilities which was never busy on our visits and the complimentary coffee room was a nice touch. Highly reccomend staying here especially if visiting Portsmouth or Southampton which is conveniently located.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with your family and with your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights on a Superbreak deal which included dinner on the first night. The rooms are in blocks, much like little motel chalets, away from the main building which houses the restaurant. Our room - number 13 - was a good size with a flat screen tv, tea and coffee making equipment, an iron and board and a hairdryer. The bed was perhaps not the largest we've ever had at an hotel but was absolutely fine. The room was quite dark owing to the overhanging porch at the front and probably would have benifited far more from lighter coloured furniture rather than the dark furniture which was fitted and we did have to have the main lights on all the time. Not a great problem, however, as we didn't spend too much time there.

The housekeeping, however, did leave much to be desired. We discovered a rather long cobweb in one corner of the bedroom which was glaringly obvious to us as we entered the room, so how did housekeeping miss it? For the first time ever during an hotel stay we returned from a day out the following day to discover the bed had been very badly remade and the towels in the bathroom had been quite literally thrown over the heated towel rail with no attempt to fold them. No cleaning had been done other than the bin in the bedroom having been emptied. There were several other minor issues, such as the bathroom door handle coming off in my hand when I closed the door, which was in fact quite funny (and may explain the holes in the back of the door too), and the bath panel was falling off. Perhaps the housekeeping staff should be reporting to reception when faults are noted. We did mention all of the above to reception staff when we checked out, and they were apologetic.

These negatives aside, the staff were very welcoming and the food was really good. I suspect the hotel could reach the dizzy heights of four stars with a little money thrown at it and perhaps more attention to detail. The location is excellent for sight-seeing and the grounds are beautiful, we didn't use the pool or gym but did have a look and they both looked good.

All in all a good stay and would book with De Vere Hotels again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very constructive review, on your stay, I am pleased that overall you have enjoyed your experience with De Vere Venues, (not part of De Vere Hotels company) I am sorry your stay on this occasion was let down by the housekeeping standards, I have passed them to the manager and area manager to share with their teams.
I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
B+B Wickham
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!