“Great place”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I cant accept any of these negative reviews on here, they actually almost made me cancel my booking. Im glad I didnt.
Reception staff very friendly, let us have our room ( at no extra cost ), even though we were an hour and a half early.
Rooms are fine, they serve a purpose and are comfortable.
Breakfast very good, and lunch too. We had a hot buffet for a Family party which was also very good. Overall I cant really fault the place. Only downside perhaps is the lack of beers available on draft in the bar..and maybe a bit pricey, but its a hotel and its what you might expect. .if you want a decent cheap(er) pint try Samuels Rest down the road, or the kings head in Wickham.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very supportive and constructive review of New Place. I do hope I can welcome you and your family back to New Place.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Great location only twenty mins from Portsmouth,the wknd we stayed it was quite busy and some late night disturbance.
Unfortunately the walls are very thin so don't expect any privacy,The Manor house is well worth a look and the food is excellent as are the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and your comments regarding our excellent staff. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Another good stay here at New Place.
Fantastic hotel- highly recommended. We didn't originally book breakfast, but we are glad we did. Very comfortable room and facilities are excellent. We used the pool and walked around the grounds.
Bar drinks are a little pricey and limited sitting outside on the terrace, but we would definitely stay again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and you highly recommended comments. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here for a week, working. The rooms were comfortable and spacious. The sound proofing was dreadful and I could hear my neighbour intimate relationships, breaking wind and showering.

For business purposes the conference facilities were great. The food tasted lovely, particularly the meat.

The service was dreadful in the restaurant and bar and almost Fawlty Towers. I waited 20 minutes in the bar before the barman arrived as he was waiting tables (9pm).

Vegetarians got a rough deal and their food was not well thought out. E.g we had melon and Parma ham. They had melon! We had all finished our meal before the vegetarians were served, if we had waited ours would have been cold. When we raised the waiting time one waitress said, well we had to serve the meat first. This was on all six large tables before the vegetarian food was served.

All in all, beautiful, great conference facilities and staff, lovely grounds and spacious rooms, tasty food but let down by the sound proofing and restaurant and bar service.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review may I say I am sorry that you felt the vegetarian options were poor as were the service, as I understand the feedback from your conference was excellent, and the feedback from our guests who prefer the vegetarian options has been good. I am pleased you enjoyed the conference facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to De Vere Venues.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed here for two nights and the motel-style layout of the hotel is odd for the UK (it reminded me of an old holiday camp in some regards) but no problem for me as I had a room close to the car park. The downside is that you have to go outside to go anywhere and you can hear every word anyone walking past says, especially if you have your window open!

The food in the restaurant is good and I cannot fault the service, which was extremely good.

The service from the reception staff was excellent and the girl who checked me in and out was great. When the wifi had problems on one of the nights (there were several short power cuts while I was there) the staff were aware of the problem and it was repaired the next day. When the wifi worked it was very fast.

Positives of the room - plenty of sockets, a good firm bed, plenty of room and desktop space. The bathroom was well lit and the shower was perfect.

Negatives of the room - the TV system that shows a very odd selection of channels - Sky Sports 1 and 3 but not 2, Euronews but not Sky News, Eurosport 2 but not Eurosport, Radio 2 but not BBC3. The carpets need replacing - as guests walk from outside straight into the room the carpets will naturally wear out quite quickly.

The biggest negative was the cleaning. At first glance it wasn't dirty and the bedroom area was fine, but the bathrooms seemed to be done in a hurry from the point of view of a cleaner and without the level of attention you'd expect and from the point of view of the guest, for example, nobody had closed the bathroom door and sat on the toilet to see what needed cleaning - there was thick dust and dirt on the wall behind the door which would be obvious to any guest; another example, nobody has stood in the shower and looked at the clock which was covered in thick dust, clearly visible from the shower but not from just standing in the bathroom; another - nobody has sat in the bath and looked at the toilet where you can see the amount of dirt and staining under the toilet rim - clearly visible to a guest in the bath but not from just standing over the toilet. If these little points were sorted, I would have rated the hotel 4 out of 5 and not 3.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback, on your stay. I am very pleased that the experience of customer care was excellent, and sorry that you felt the cleaning in the bathroom let us down on this occasion. This morning I shared the feedback with the housekeeping team to be more conscious of the “guest View”, which I thank you for as a valuable insight from our guest perspective.
I do hope we can welcome you back to New Place.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

Spent a Sunday night at the hotel and had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Overall, hard to fault the hotel, especially given the price. There are posher hotels, but if you want a place to stay to go and see the Historic Dockyard at Portsmouth the place is hard to beat. Nice grounds, quiet comfortable room with a good sized car park. Both dinner and breakfast were good and hard to fault.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend break here at New Place. We are a great base to explore the Solent. I hope to welcome you back to New Place.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

The original house on the site housing the bar and restaurant has the potential to be stunning. Unfortunately, threadbare furniture and split leather gives it an air of tiredness. Due to the sites focus on conferences there has been what I could only describe as 50's chalet style blocks built all around. Our tiny room was in one of these. The bathroom had been updated to a good standard but the bedroom area had seen better days. The sheets, pillows and duvet were clean and in a good state of repair but placed on top were stained, again threadbare velour cushions and bedspread. The room also smelt like it needed a good airing. The menu for an evening meal was limited and after seeing our room we decided to go off site instead to eat as our impression were not favourable. This is a shame as the food at breakfast was actually fairly good.
All the staff were efficient, friendly and always acknowledged you.
The hotel manager is obviously very good at getting the best from thier team but they are all let down by what seems to be a lack of funding to maintain the rooms, some furniture and soft furnishings leaving the place feeling slightly seedy...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen F
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, whilst the title is colourful I will try to be proactive with your feedback and share with my team, as I believe you have some valid points.
Many thanks

Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
Hilton at The Ageas Bowl
#3 of 25 in Southampton
Premier Inn Southampton Airport Hotel

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!