“Brilliant stay”

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
“Brilliant stay”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just come back from a weekend away down in Southampton. I have to say the whole experience was great value for money. Beautiful hotel, lovely food, great facilities, attentive service and a Manager that you can see takes great pride in their hotel and it's guests. We were checking in at reception and he came across to welcome us to the hotel and informed us of some great things to do in the area. Will definitely return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Csl_86
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased you experienced great value and enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.
Mark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We attended our friends wedding at this lovely venue . The bristol room was used for the ceremony and was just right . We then proceeded to the arden building which had been beautifully decorated for a lovely wedding breakfast . The meal was delicious, well presented hot which is something that tends to go a miss when serving lots of guests. All the staff were very helpful directing us as needed. Im sure our friends were very pleased. A very successful day and night :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank emma8209
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of the wedding you attended at New Place. I am very pleased you enjoyed the experience, and I hope we can welcome you back as guest to New Place.
essex
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed with my husband and had the most amazing time. The hotel was stunning, food was amazing and the staff were polite and efficient. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was two little niggles. The walls are paper thin between you and the other rooms, you can hear every conversation and everything else !!! Secondly, sounds petty but very annoying when you are in bed - the tv looks fab in its case on the wall, but the remote control doesn't work when you are in bed. We had to stand on the bed up high to get the remote to respond - not ideal when you are tired from a long journey. Having said all of the above I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and we certainly intend to stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 48 and it was absolutely fine
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review of New Place I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, I would say that our walls separating our bedrooms are to a set standard and are no thinner or thicker than most conventional builds. I am delighted that this wood not put you off staying again with us as you would be very welcomed.
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at New Place where we had previously stayed twice before and had such a wonderful time. We were always made to feel welcome, the rooms were clean and the meals always brilliant. The staff were alway so pleasant and happy to make our stay a good one. We stayed there on Sunday 13th of April 2014 both my husband I we're looking so forward to the break as we knew it was a place we both liked and he'd been away at sea for a while ,so a well deserved break. It turned out to be a very disappointing one. We arrived and booked in but when we got to our room there was half drunk bottles of wine and dirty glasses out side our room and the other rooms next to us, the room itself was clean although no milk on the tea tray by the kettle. The evening meal started off good but when I got to my main course my pork seemed very pink, my husband had the same dish but said yours is definitely a lot pinker than mine and the texture was defiantly not right when I took a bite. I let the staff know quietly as didn't want to make a fuss the member of staff said we've had loads of complaints about it you will not be charged for your main course. About 5 minutes later a lady on the next table complained about her pork and was told she wouldn't be charged for it. That morning around 3 am I was woken up with really bad pains in my stomach. I could not stop being sick at 8am I told my husband to go for breakfast as it had been paid for and I couldn't stop being sick. My husband didn't go as he didn't want to leave me, I stayed in the room next to the bathroom as didn't want to go to far just incase and I knew the check out was 11am and just wanted to go home. At 10am there was a loud knock on our door two cleaners stood there saying we want to come in and get the room ready for the next person. At this point I said it's ok you can were leaving. Whilst waiting at reception a man from last night said about the pork and was told he hadn't been charged for any meals they had. I told them I was told the same but had paid up front the receptionist said don't worry I'll sort it and took my room details. I explained I had been feeling ill and he rushed me into a room and took some details I felt he couldn't get me out the hotel quick enough. The chef rang me at home at the time I was still in bed being sick he said I had a party of 80 people and you were the only one sick. Three days later I was feeling a bit better I rang the hotel to ask why I hadn't had a refund for my main course and was told that because the pork was pink maybe the thought of it made me Sick. I tried to explain I been sick about 30 times and had had the runs he almost sounded like he thought I'd made it up he then said I'll refund you 25 pound for your main meal and if you want to stay again we'd happy for you too. Disappointed I really don't think I could ever stay there again, very upset by it all to say the least.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline E
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest
I am very sorry to read your feedback on your stay and experience at New Place, especially after your two wonderful stays and I do hope you are fully recovered from your symptoms..
Please may I assure you that when any guest experience symptoms such as yours we follow a very robust procedure, which included the initial details being taken by the duty manager.
The duty manager recorded your feedback that both your self and your husband had eaten the pork, and that you husband was fine, and that you had a gluten free diet. It is recorded that the duty manager politely asked that you see a doctor, and that we would follow our procedures. He also recorded that we would follow up as a matter of courtesy, and did not want to detain you more than necessary as clearly you were in discomfort.
When this was passed to the head chef, he did a full investigation and wanted to call you himself to ask on your wellbeing, and give you feedback on the steps he would be taking and had taken. I understand from your feedback the doctor had suggested that you rest and if the symptoms continue with in the next 24hrs to go and see them. Chef explained about the due diligence that we take and that pork fillet had been served to over 84 people that evening and had kept samples as he had hoped to give you assurance that a full investigation had been taken.
I am very sorry if you feel that we have not acted in a sensitive way, we have followed our procedures, and carried out a full investigation, and had no other reported incidence from over 80 portions of pork filet.
I do hope you are assured that we take food safety very seriously, especially when highlighted that a guest is sensitive to gluten. We have recently been visited by Winchester Environmental health officer and have been awarded a consecutive five stars out of five stars for our excellent food hygiene standards.
I do sincerely hope you will consider our gesture of goodwill to return as our guest.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Stayed for the 1 night because of business, this place is nice. The rooms are modern and fairly compact but have everything you would expect, iron, hairdryer, tea and coffee facilities, ensuite, tv etc. The main house contains the restaurants and bars and most of the rooms are around a chalet style complex. The restaurant at this place is really nice, had the dinner as part of my deal and wasn't disappointed. I'd stay here again if i was in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and very pleased that you would return when next on business in the area. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was our 5th visit to this venue and we were not disappointed again. I will however say that on booking the room directly I pointed out it was our 30 th wedding Anniversary and it was a surprise treat for my husband . I did expect a complimentary bottle of wine in our room but was disappointed to find that was not to be the case , however the staff especially Alan on the bar were very attentive. Breakfast is fantastic and the evening meals are as good as any top notch restaurant that we have been to. We were given a complimentary drink on one evening as we had such a long wait for our dessert . The swimming pool and jacuzzi are still very clean and pleasant to use. The trail around the grounds is a pleasant stroll on a lovely evening with the beautiful building as a lovely backdrop .
We will return .

Room Tip: We like the outside chalet type rooms usually but they tend to be a bit smaller than the rooms in th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajak1316
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience and anniversary with us. Thank you for your special mention of Alan on the bar, I know he will be very pleased with your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I cant accept any of these negative reviews on here, they actually almost made me cancel my booking. Im glad I didnt.
Reception staff very friendly, let us have our room ( at no extra cost ), even though we were an hour and a half early.
Rooms are fine, they serve a purpose and are comfortable.
Breakfast very good, and lunch too. We had a hot buffet for a Family party which was also very good. Overall I cant really fault the place. Only downside perhaps is the lack of beers available on draft in the bar..and maybe a bit pricey, but its a hotel and its what you might expect. .if you want a decent cheap(er) pint try Samuels Rest down the road, or the kings head in Wickham.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very supportive and constructive review of New Place. I do hope I can welcome you and your family back to New Place.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
B+B Wickham
B+B Wickham
#1 of 1 in Wickham

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!