New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I found the chalet rooms very clean and spacious with a superb bathroom. The rural setting was lovely with some pleasant walking. Very good value for money.
I found everything easy to locate and the facilities were very good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Angela M
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed the full experience of New Place, and you received very good value. I do hope I can welcome you back to New Place.
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,454)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at New Place April 17 and we had a great time, the pool was really popular with our daughter. However they didn't have any record of her on the booking, even though she was included in our booking on their website. They gave us a very small double room, and we had to go back and ask for something else. All they had was an accessible room that was large enough for an additional rollaway bed. We appreciated that they did this, but it seems their systems need to be fixed as they don't get any record of the children on the bookings.

Also the room was very hot and uncomfortable. I see others mentioned this about rooms near the pool. The other problem was that we had to try to keep our daughter away from the pull cords, and she fell straight on her back in the bathroom when I was having a shower, as it's a wetroom. It wasn't a great situation. If you are going with a child I would call in advance to be sure they know this.

Though the staff were great on site I have submitted this feedback to their website twice and have had no response. It seems they need to monitor their correspondence better.

Room Tip: Rooms near pool are very hot. Call to confirm room type if travelling with a child.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your experience at New Place. I am sorry that your stay wasn’t great due to the booking situation. I have investigated your comments and this issue has been escalated to our on line specialist. When selecting children from our Web there is no issue as rooms are then offered that can accept an extra bed, however when selecting an infant any double room type can be offered as a cot would be allocated not an extra bed. When an infant is selected it does not appear on our booking system as would a child request, and this has been addressed here at New Place, and this is what I have escalated.
I do hope you would consider coming to New Place with your daughter again when I hope your experience will be great.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This hotel is a set of bedroom blocks almost randomly arranged near a lovely old house which serves as the focus of the hotel. To confuse matters the reception is not in that old building, so turn right on arrival and follow the roadway anti-clockwise around all the car parks and buildings until you reach a dead end with a turning space - and you will be there. The reception staff were exemplary and provided the all important map of the site.
Most of the rooms are accessed from the open air, but it is generally not possible to park right in front of them (though I noted provision for direct disabled access). The rooms are well laid out with nice bathrooms. We had a formal dinner in the restaurant in the main house which was excellent - there is a friendly bar there as well.
Breakfast was good - there were some slight delays with cooked food, but all very tasty and a nice start to the day.
Drivers not familiar with the area should really check their maps before coming here - the nearby motorway junctions are not logical in that some allow you to leave the motorway, but not to join in a particular direction. And the signposting in Shirrell Heath is not the clearest on a dark night.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask how far away the room is from the main building where the restaurant is - it can be a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Top Traveller Tip Please check our website where we offer a site map which clearly shows the layout of our Venue.
Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback, we would always recommend our guest to view our website as a Venue we do not have a conventional hotel layout. Thank you for your kind words relating to the team, and I am pleased you found the diner to be excellent. With breakfast we do cook fried eggs and omelettes to order, and this may cause slight delays. I hope I can welcome you back to New Place.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just come back from a weekend away down in Southampton. I have to say the whole experience was great value for money. Beautiful hotel, lovely food, great facilities, attentive service and a Manager that you can see takes great pride in their hotel and it's guests. We were checking in at reception and he came across to welcome us to the hotel and informed us of some great things to do in the area. Will definitely return again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Csl_86
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased you experienced great value and enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to New Place.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We attended our friends wedding at this lovely venue . The bristol room was used for the ceremony and was just right . We then proceeded to the arden building which had been beautifully decorated for a lovely wedding breakfast . The meal was delicious, well presented hot which is something that tends to go a miss when serving lots of guests. All the staff were very helpful directing us as needed. Im sure our friends were very pleased. A very successful day and night :)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank emma8209

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review of the wedding you attended at New Place. I am very pleased you enjoyed the experience, and I hope we can welcome you back as guest to New Place.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I stayed with my husband and had the most amazing time. The hotel was stunning, food was amazing and the staff were polite and efficient. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was two little niggles. The walls are paper thin between you and the other rooms, you can hear every conversation and everything else !!! Secondly, sounds petty but very annoying when you are in bed - the tv looks fab in its case on the wall, but the remote control doesn't work when you are in bed. We had to stand on the bed up high to get the remote to respond - not ideal when you are tired from a long journey. Having said all of the above I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and we certainly intend to stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 48 and it was absolutely fine
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your great review of New Place I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay, I would say that our walls separating our bedrooms are to a set standard and are no thinner or thicker than most conventional builds. I am delighted that this wood not put you off staying again with us as you would be very welcomed.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at New Place where we had previously stayed twice before and had such a wonderful time. We were always made to feel welcome, the rooms were clean and the meals always brilliant. The staff were alway so pleasant and happy to make our stay a good one. We stayed there on Sunday 13th of April 2014 both my husband I we're looking so forward to the break as we knew it was a place we both liked and he'd been away at sea for a while ,so a well deserved break. It turned out to be a very disappointing one. We arrived and booked in but when we got to our room there was half drunk bottles of wine and dirty glasses out side our room and the other rooms next to us, the room itself was clean although no milk on the tea tray by the kettle. The evening meal started off good but when I got to my main course my pork seemed very pink, my husband had the same dish but said yours is definitely a lot pinker than mine and the texture was defiantly not right when I took a bite. I let the staff know quietly as didn't want to make a fuss the member of staff said we've had loads of complaints about it you will not be charged for your main course. About 5 minutes later a lady on the next table complained about her pork and was told she wouldn't be charged for it. That morning around 3 am I was woken up with really bad pains in my stomach. I could not stop being sick at 8am I told my husband to go for breakfast as it had been paid for and I couldn't stop being sick. My husband didn't go as he didn't want to leave me, I stayed in the room next to the bathroom as didn't want to go to far just incase and I knew the check out was 11am and just wanted to go home. At 10am there was a loud knock on our door two cleaners stood there saying we want to come in and get the room ready for the next person. At this point I said it's ok you can were leaving. Whilst waiting at reception a man from last night said about the pork and was told he hadn't been charged for any meals they had. I told them I was told the same but had paid up front the receptionist said don't worry I'll sort it and took my room details. I explained I had been feeling ill and he rushed me into a room and took some details I felt he couldn't get me out the hotel quick enough. The chef rang me at home at the time I was still in bed being sick he said I had a party of 80 people and you were the only one sick. Three days later I was feeling a bit better I rang the hotel to ask why I hadn't had a refund for my main course and was told that because the pork was pink maybe the thought of it made me Sick. I tried to explain I been sick about 30 times and had had the runs he almost sounded like he thought I'd made it up he then said I'll refund you 25 pound for your main meal and if you want to stay again we'd happy for you too. Disappointed I really don't think I could ever stay there again, very upset by it all to say the least.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline E
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest
I am very sorry to read your feedback on your stay and experience at New Place, especially after your two wonderful stays and I do hope you are fully recovered from your symptoms..
Please may I assure you that when any guest experience symptoms such as yours we follow a very robust procedure, which included the initial details being taken by the duty manager.
The duty manager recorded your feedback that both your self and your husband had eaten the pork, and that you husband was fine, and that you had a gluten free diet. It is recorded that the duty manager politely asked that you see a doctor, and that we would follow our procedures. He also recorded that we would follow up as a matter of courtesy, and did not want to detain you more than necessary as clearly you were in discomfort.
When this was passed to the head chef, he did a full investigation and wanted to call you himself to ask on your wellbeing, and give you feedback on the steps he would be taking and had taken. I understand from your feedback the doctor had suggested that you rest and if the symptoms continue with in the next 24hrs to go and see them. Chef explained about the due diligence that we take and that pork fillet had been served to over 84 people that evening and had kept samples as he had hoped to give you assurance that a full investigation had been taken.
I am very sorry if you feel that we have not acted in a sensitive way, we have followed our procedures, and carried out a full investigation, and had no other reported incidence from over 80 portions of pork filet.
I do hope you are assured that we take food safety very seriously, especially when highlighted that a guest is sensitive to gluten. We have recently been visited by Winchester Environmental health officer and have been awarded a consecutive five stars out of five stars for our excellent food hygiene standards.
I do sincerely hope you will consider our gesture of goodwill to return as our guest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
The Winchester Hotel & spa
The Winchester Hotel & spa
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Holiday Inn Fareham Solent

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!