“Beautiful building”
Review of New Place Hotel

New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our one night stay in this hotel was very pleasant. The greeting was friendly and the receptionist very helpful. The room was clean and a good size with parking close by. The grounds were delightful and the woodland walk was very peaceful. The bar meals were good and served promptly. The range of food at breakfast was excellent value for money and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable regarding a gluten free diet.

1  Thank Jennifer R
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to De Vere venues New Place. We will always go that extra mile for any dietary requirement for our guest.
Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I recently stayed here and must say I was very satisfied. The room was bright and clean and the service was top notch. I would recommend to anyone thinking of staying here.
The staff and pleasent and professional and keen to help.
The hotel is set in lovely grounds and very convenient for Southampton and the New Forest.'

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank john c
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and your recommendation your most kind. I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently attended a wedding here. Due to this, my review is limited because I wasn't exploring the hotel nor it's grounds as I would if I hadn't had prior plans for my time.
The grounds were beautiful and the staff were helpful. The food was wonderful, especially the breakfast.
We stayed in a double room, which was really quite small (pretty much the bed with some room to walk around it), and the walls were paper thin. So much so we could hear a couple (from the wedding party rather than other customers) a few rooms down, "having fun".
Also, in the usual morning check that nothing had been left, there were bits under the bed (like cotton buds) which didn't belong to us, hence, the room could not have been cleaned properly. The shower had a curtain rather than doors, meaning the bathroom floor got rather wet, rather quickly.
Overall, the grounds, food and staff are wonderful. It really puts me off having such thin walls and knowing that the room couldn't have been cleaned properly, but only after you have slept there...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you enjoyed wedding and disappointed about your comments regarding the room especially the noise. Our rooms are built to building regs and the walls are standard for a hotel room to suggest that you could hear a couple two doors down, is not feedback we have had before. But I am pleased they had a good time.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had the pleasure of staying here 2 weeks ago for 2 nights and only found online by pure luck. The main building is stunning and everything from checking in to checking out was absolutely superb. The staff, facilities and room were excellent, the food on the evening was very good but the help yourself breakfast is without doubt one or two of the best I have ever had, quality fresh product and fried eggs cooked to order. I have and will continue to recommend to others and when in area again will book without fail.

Room Tip: The room I had was a ground floor mews and had a front and patio type door that opened out onto a co...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike H

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review, I am so pleased you found us and I do hope we can welcome you back, to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed here for just one night (a Sunday night) whilst doing a car exchange in Southampton.

The food was extremely tasty, though the medium rare steak was almost well done but they exchanged immediately and the replacement was superb. All the staff (mostly Polish) whom we met were very friendly, helpful and polite in what is a quintessentially English country house & garden setting. We watched cricket on their own pitch and children played bowls in the foreground green. We sat at one of a number of nice outdoor tables overlooking the greens and surrounded by gorgeous trees and shrubs, warmed by amazing sunshine (which can't be booked in advance I hear!)

Our bargain £39 room was set as many others in what looks like stable blocks, all red brick, and they were quiet and well appointed with hair dryer, ironing equipment, teas & coffees and plenty of sockets. Our phones worked on their wifi network without hitch. Bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean and characterful. There really was nothing to fault.

Negatives were minor really. We were quite disappointed that the bar sold NO nibbles of any sort, even crisps. It was sometimes hard to locate bar staff who were busy helping diners to the restaurant. I had to hunt for a barman twice, though he was very helpful when we found him :-)

The dining room, for breakfast at least, was like a sauna and only had one window open benefitting just one table of guests. I had to leave breakfast early as I couldn't breathe in the heat. Quality & quantity of breakfast menu was superb.

I wish there was an arrangement with a local taxi company to get a good deal on trips to Portsmouth or Southampton, as this place can't be just for guests going abroad who wouldn't need to visit the local cities, but that's quibbling as it's not the fault of the hotel in any way but it would be a guest benefit.

We would definitely stay there again and for £39 it was unbelievably amazing value.

Room Tip: We stayed in 143 but there may be even better and certainly there must be 'posh' rooms in th...

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I do hope we can iron out the minor niggles for your next stay, but in the bar we do not sell nibbles as they are complimentary to our guests.
I do hope we can welcome you back to De Vere Venues New Place.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I stayed once again at this hotel on a special cruise deal.The price had gone up by £10.00 to £199.00. Dinner was great, you would be happy to pay £30.00 pp for it in a top restaurant! Buffet breakfast and a modern well presented room and ALL your parking (last year 32 days) Taxi transfers to and from your cruise terminal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank StevePhillips776264

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review and again choosing us for your pre-night stay before departing on your cruise. I do hope you had a great cruise departing from Southampton.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just spent a wonderful weekend at this hotel.Will coming back very soon.Lovely grounds,top notch service and reasonably priced bar and food.Only downside was no hair dryer in the room but after asking at reception this was rectified straight away

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
mark s, General Manager at New Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review and I am pleased you enjoyed your weekend with us, and I do hope we can welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shirrell Heath
#1 of 1 in Hedge End
Solent Hotel & Spa
Solent Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Whiteley

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!