“Hidden Gem in Southampton” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
New Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Shirrell Heath
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem in Southampton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

I required a hotel at the last minute due to snow problems. This was booked by my company therefore I had to take what I was given. Sat Nav takes you straight to the main entrance. I arrived at 2230 hrs to be met by such a helpful and cheerful assistant and was allocated a room in an adjacent bedroom block - room 38. This was first class. Immaculatey clean, and roomy. The shower facilities are excellent and the TV is in exactly the right place to watch in bed.
In the morning I was able to have an early breakfast before having to leave. Speak as I find, this was superb and better than many a 4 star hotel I have stayed in previously. The breakfast staff were so helpful, it was a shame to have to leave so early.
Would I stay there again - Absolutely! I really look forward to attending there with my wife. Would I recommend - Absolutely! As to location and nearby facilities, I cannot comment due to time allowed, but what a place to stay if you are going to the port which is so close. Next time, will spend more time to see. Plus it has free wi-fi. Thanks again to the staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

We really enjoyed this clean and peaceful accommodation within a beautiful setting and the very grand manor house for breakfast and evening meals.
The rooms were separate in annexes and very comfortable and very warm in the very cold spell we had.
The breakfast was great with so much choice and eggs cooked to order as you took your choice in the cooked buffet.
We will definitely return if we go back to the Southampton area.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

We stayed here on a Sunday night, as we were visiting Portsmouth on Monday. The room and service beat all our expectations. The room was spacious, with a comfortable bed and good bathroom. We didn't use the pool or restaurant, but when we had a walk around, it all looked very good. You do need a car to stay here but the travel is well worth it. We will definitely be booking here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Wimborne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

We couldn't fault this hotel in terms of value for money. Having got a good deal we were not sure what to expect, but New Place exceeded our expectations. The main house is full of history and character, while the mews style rooms (certainly the 2 we occupied with friends) were modern, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The reception staff kindly provided a brochure of the history of New Place, which was fascinating.
Maybe the only small complaint was that the rooms were rather warm, and a little noisy for short periods as people passed by along the walkway, but this did not spoil our stay.
Dinner was excellent, with attentive, friendly service. The free coffee and range of teas in the coffee lounge (primarily aimed at business guests I would think) were a bonus, as was the signposted walking trail around the beautiful grounds.
We did not sample the leisure facilities but they looked good. All in all, a very superior business venue which provides a very pleasant leisure break.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
West London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I was very happy with my stay at this former business training facility. My elderly parents and I were looking for a base to travel to the Isle of Wight. We needed somewhere that would offer freedom to come and go, and professionally respond to our needs, so we did not need boutique luxury.
Upsides:
The staff were helpful, professional and polite. Used to dealing with business people, our demands for more furniture, pillows, print ferry tickets, & night times iced water etc. we were always greeted with a positive smile.
The main building and bar were a welcome classic that gave a touch of class, balanced by a complimentary coffee & tea service in the modern reception block.
The facilities were appropriate to the rates. My parents had an executive ground floor disabled room (£100 per room per night including buffet breakfast, fully flexible booking), which was well heated, and I had a single bedroom (v. basic similar to student accommodation, £25 pn non refundable without breakfast). We received an excellent rate as booked early and we were able to stay on Thursday and Friday, (between business conferences and weddings bookings).
The location was within easy access of M27 between Portsmouth or Southampton; the villages of Wickham and Farnham offered excellent independent restaurants, (but you do need a car). It was an easy 45 minutes to get to Southampton ferry on a friday morning rush hour.
In the middle of nowhere meant we were not disturbed by noise, but I heard of wedding clients may have caused one another problems with noise.
Downsides:
Much of the accommodation was built some time ago, and is basic; some of the infrastructure is v. tired, with the taps and shower being difficult to control.
The journey from the bedrooms to the main building was outside and was an ordeal for my parents; we were luck the weather was not worse.

• Stayed September 2010
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

Attending an event in Portsmouth led me to staying here with an excellent room only rate of £25 for a single room via the De Vere website.

The staff were super (from directing me via phone to the hotel - who needs sat nav?!), pleasant check-in, being shown to the room and relaxed in the bar and restaurant.

The room itself looked lovely but the bathroom was awful. Having stayed at the De Vere Theobald's Park earlier this year I'd had the same problem. Lovely room, awful bathroom. The bathroom at New Place was functional and that is the best I can say about it. The shower was not strong enough and not refreshing.

The evening meal in the restaurant (two course fixed at £20) was superb.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you have your own transport and I would recommend a double room rather than a single. I also hope the bathrooms in the double rooms are better. For £25 I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We stayed here one night precruise. I was slightly concerned as we checked in as there was a large wedding group just arriving (also coincided with another at checkout) so the queues were outside the door to check in but I think when 20+ people all try and check in / out at once this is inevitable and the reception staff were doing their best. I saw many of the guests smoking in their rooms hanging out the windows - not the fault of the hotel but the impression was not good. However we were not disturbed again by this group as we might have feared

The rooms were very satisfactory for a venue hotel although a little warm

Predinner drinks were not ideal as a large training group had taken over the bar area so we had to sit in the reception hall - I think they need to look at some alternative seating when large groups are in so that indiviudal guests can have a drink if they wish

We ate in the dining room which is a beautiful setting - food was very nice, service was functional, no complaints but not the level of interaction we have enjoyed elsewhere. Breakfast was again a good spread with the service again was functional.

I agree with a previous post re the need to take an umbrella incase it rains as it is a walk (albeit a very pleasant one) from your room to the central house where the bar/restuarant it

One plus from the hotels website, the driving directions were excellent, well done as this is often not the case

Overall, though I would stay here again pre cruise, much better than fighting our way into the city

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
#19 of 24 in Southampton
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,603 reviews

Been to New Place Hotel? Share your experiences!