“Bilbo, birds and balsamic vinegar”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Goat Cottage

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
Flibberti...
London
“Overflowing composting toilet, half hashed effort, flies and cats.”
Reviewed 16 August 2018 for a stay in August 2018

Lovely location but the setup seems a bit slap dash. On arrival the hut had a strong smell of urine and we didn't realise until the next day, when human waste started emerging up through the shower drain, that this was because there was a problem with the composting toilet. Some Mr Muscle* and a wet and dry hoover later and the blockage was sorted but the smell did linger for another day.

Flies, flies everywhere, we had to buy some fly spray as there were perpetually at least a dozen bussing round you at any time. I suspect there may have been a manure heap on the next plot, or they were attracted to the composting toilet.
Cats, cats everywhere - we had to throw a pack of meat out because one of the cats jumped on the counter and broke into a package whilst I was preparing dinner - it was right next to me. I love animals, but not to the point where I'm having to fight them off to protect food.

Finally, I've stayed in many self catering places across the globe and no-where has it been expected that I remove all rubbish from the site upon departure. Sure, I'll split into recycling and non recycling and bag it up accordingly, but at this place you're expected to drive off with it at the end of the stay. Quite what you're supposed to do with in on the way to the airport I'm not sure.

*how do corrosive chemicals align with composting toilet methods?

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
19 Aug 2018
Thank you for your review, but to clarify things, it wasn't human waste, it was water, and after solving the problem i asked twice if things were ok, never at any point did you indicate you were not happy, had you done so I would have tried to resolve it for you. Unfortunately this is the countryside and it's summer so we do experience flies sometimes, though there is a mention of this on the site - (( This is 'glamour camping' It is rural and rustic, we have pets and we live with nature, there will be wildlife, birds, bugs, cats, chickens and dogs. If you have allergies, fears or dislikes to any of the above please consider this when choosing this holiday.)) In Italy we do not keep dustbins on the premises, everyone is expected to remove their rubbish to the communal bins in the village, you asked me about it and I explained at the time, so not sure why you thought you would need to take it to the airport with you, there was (as pointed out) a recycling area in the village, 5 mins from the house. The water drain which had the blockage was separate from the compost toilet, so the chemicals would not affect it. Sorry that you didn't feel able to discuss these issues while here, then they could have been dealt with at the time.
FarAway78...
“Bilbo, birds and balsamic vinegar”
Reviewed 6 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018

If you’re a Tolkien fan, Hobbit House will be your idea of heaven. Like in a fairy-tale it’s much bigger inside than it looks from the outside – plenty of room for a couple or family. Jill shows amazing attention to detail in paying homage to the book and also ensuring that your glamping holiday is a comfortable and memorable experience. Tucked away from the main house, with a spectacular view across the valley, you have privacy with the facility to cook if you wish, and en suite shower and composting toilet. The latter was easy to use and had no unpleasant smells – far preferable to tramping to a shower block in the middle of the night. Every evening we sat outside listening to the song of nightingales in the surrounding woodland – pure bliss for bird-watchers.

The Emilia Romagna region of Italy is such a beautiful and peaceful setting you can’t help but love it, if like me you enjoy being in a truly rural area. Jill encouraged us to make a 20 minute walk to the top of nearby Pietra di Bismantova, a rocky outcrop with stunning views all around. She also introduced us to the tradition of drizzling thick balsamic vinegar over parmigiano cheese, both produced locally. Food generally there is to die for, simple but exquisitely tasty and all at remarkably little cost and of course there are plenty of wines to sample.

Ever the attentive hosts, Jill and her daughter ensured that our stay was trouble-free with many memories to treasure.

8 Jul 2018
That's a fab review Jill, Thanks a mill. You are welcome to come back anytime!
Lesley T
“Return to Hobbit House”
Reviewed 1 July 2018 for a stay in June 2018

I seldom go back to the same holiday destination twice. I'm just back from a second visit to this wonderful Hobbit House in the Apennines mountains and it was every bit as delightful as I remembered it from last year.

This glamping cabin is amazingly spacious, with everything you need for a luxurious stay, from the stunning views to the comfy beds with quality bedding and wonderfully large and fluffy bath sheets.

Ideally placed if you enjoy walking, exploring small, quaint towns and communing with nature. We were lucky enough to hear nightingales.

Our hostesses, Jill and Millie, had gone to great lengths to make us feel welcome and share their knowledge of the local area. It wasn't quite warm enough to try the pool, although it looked very inviting.

A delightful mountain retreat for anyone in need of peace and tranquility.

3 Jul 2018
Thank You Lesley, it's warm enough to use the pool now so feel free to come back.
Lesley T
“Hobbit House in Italy mountain retreat”
Reviewed 26 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

I've watched with fascination on Facebook the story of how Hobbit House in Italy came to be constructed. I love all things hobbit so I was determined that, one day, I would go and stay there. It was a long train journey from my home in France and I broke the journey with a night in quite an expensive hotel in Lyon.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I discovered on my arrival in Italy that my glamping cabin for four nights was not only twice the size of my overpriced hotel room but that it came with a degree of luxury far superior. Bearing in mind that this is an off-grid glamping (glamorous camping) experience, there was an excellent, comfortable double bed, lovely Egyptian cotton sheets, great big fluffy bath sheets, not the skimpy things of the hotel, and so many thoughtful touches as to make this truly a memorable place to stay.

Hobbit House is a distance from the main house and the other rental cabin, Goat Cottage. It gives it a feeling of intimacy and privacy, perfect for a real getaway. Yet it's a very short walk to a shared swimming pool and host Jill, although never intrusive, is always on hand with help, advice and anything else a guest might need. As I was not independently mobile, I'd requested meals. I was extremely well fed and there was no problem at all in catering for my enforced gluten free diet. The quality of the food was excellent, all local produce, much of it from the vegetable garden to which guests are welcome to help themselves. That's in addition to a welcome basket for weary travellers who may not have remembered to bring everything they need.

Hobbit House is extremely well equipped, with cooking facilities, a lovely log-burner which doubles as an efficient cooker, for the cooler evenings. It boasts an en-suite shower room with a composting toilet. Like everything else about the place, it is impeccably clean - cleaner than my hotel room. More thoughtful touches in the strings of solar fairy lights wound around the gazebo to welcome you to your home from home, and plenty of candles, including in an attractive chandelier, for that perfect ambience.

Endless inviting walks beckon from the property itself – you can even borrow a dog if you're not sure of finding your way back. Watch out for some interesting wildlife. I was lucky enough to spot a porcupine. There are all the amenities you could possibly need just a short drive away, including excellent restaurants serving delicious, traditional food.

If you want to discover the Italy away from the tourist traps, enjoy communing with nature, perhaps want a quiet place to write, to paint, to mediate, you would be very hard pressed to beat this. I recommend it highly and without reservation. Just watch out for Shitten the Kitten though, who will appear to inspect you, and whose licks quickly turn to mischievous nips.

28 Sep 2017
Thank you for a lovely review, we look forward to seeing you again.
Flyer6565...
“Stunning !!!”
Reviewed 9 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Absolutely amazing location.Literally in a secluded forest in the Appenine mountains,however,close to all local villages and amenities.Beautiful pool and outdoor bathtub with a view of the stars(no light pollution here).Have never slept as well in years.Lady owner(English) could not have been more welcoming.Picked up from airport and took me to train station for my next adventure.Local food cooked by the owner from her garden was fantastic.Highlight of my visit (apart from many) was sat outside Goat Cottage at night watching the stars and amazing fireflies.Absolutely magical."Hobbit House" built by the owner herself in the same forest was almost finished and looked incredible.Would recommend 110% and 10 stars.

12 Aug 2017
Thank you Paul, I appreciate you taking the time to write the review. Hope to see you here again. Jill
Liilalaur...
Zuzenhausen, Germany
“Peace in a little paradise”
Reviewed 13 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016

We had a wonderful time at this beautiful place! The nature around is just beautiful ... swimming in the pool with a great view at the mountains was lovely. In the cottage was everything we needed and it was really comfy and warm at nighttime when we made a fire :)
At this place you can really come down, relax and get away from everyday life. We will definately come back :)
Our dog was with us too and he just loved it...he could run arround the whole day and was really relaxed.
Jill was a great host...very friendly if we needed something and also really respected our privacy, Thank you.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
14 Sep 2016
You are welcome anytime. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Jill
Jpp1312
“Perfection”
Reviewed 8 September 2016 for a stay in August 2016

Calm, peaceful, tranquil!
Beautiful views
Fantastic service
Local towns/villages with authentic food.
Everything you need for some R&R.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
9 Sep 2016
Thank you Jess, for such a lovely review, hope you visit us again. Jill
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing