Eastwell Manor
The Conningbrook Hotel(Kennington)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$88
US$97
US$86
Priceline
Premier Inn Ashford Central Hotel(Ashford)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$80
The Dering Arms(Pluckley)
TripAdvisor
1,514 results
All reviewsthe cottagesthe main housemain restaurantspa facilitiesevening mealbirthday treatspecial occasionchanging roomslovely settingmy mumwaiting stafffour poster bedbeautiful groundslog firesteam roomspa restaurantoutdoor pool
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have been for afternoon tea at Eastwell Manor 3 times now and clearly I must like it as I keep coming back.

The room you have tea in is very warm and charming and creates a far more relaxing atmosphere than the foyer of major London hotels or the Palm Court at the Ritz.

The quality of the food is also excellent, the star of the show being the scones which look and taste 'home made' and are nice a big. Not small and uniformed like others elsewhere.

There is room for improvement however.

1) The style of the old Manor means unless the sun is beaming it is very dark if you don't ask for a window seat in advance. A few more lamps wouldn't go a miss.

2) Service. Although on the 3 occasions I have had tea here I have had no complaints; the staff are generally inattentive and can not describe the different teas well. You do also have to catch a staff member to ask for more tea as the waiters generally stay in the hallway.

3) More sandwiches. I can imagine most visitors find the amount of food enough (especially as the scones are large), but I would happily pay a little more of it means I could enjoy my favourite finger sandwiches again.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank RobbieLammas94
managementeastwell, Owner at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. It looks as if the tea staff need a little extra service training which will be addressed.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Went to East well manor for valentines dinner and it was lovely,staff were very friendly especially one guy can't remember his name but he's originally from Portugal and he made us feel so comfortable and couldn't have done anymore for us,the food was really nice very well presented and fresh,it is posh here but def worth a try:)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
managementeastwell, Owner at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. The restaurant staff were superb at dinner and breakfast, most knowledgable and attentive. The food at both was outstanding (lamb to die for) In a wonderful romantic dining room. The spa is excellent with clean facilities, nice staff and and pleasant decor. The house itself and grounds are fantastic, beautifully kept and maintained. I was a little disappointed by the room, with a few too many nicks, bumps and marks on walls and carpets and ceilings and divan. The view was a bit of a let down too and it was very hot, but the window was easily opened. Bathroom was very clean. The reception folk could be a bit more welcoming, although we did arrive during a wedding and were not the focus of attention at that point. The request for a fifty quid deposit on a card, although apparently common practice, was a bit "hi, nice to see you, but we don't trust you and although I've got your details already and you've paid up front, we want a bit more. Enjoy your stay". As a guide for drinks, we paid £7.50 for a gin with £2.50 for a tonic. My Shivas regal was 8 quid. I'm sure this is normal? The letter we were given on arrival outlined a dress code for dinner which made me a bit uncomfortable, having only packed denim trousers. Would have been nice to been informed in advance perhaps. I was not perfectly dressed but then the room was not perfect either so we complimented each other. I'd stay again any time and be wiser in advance, asking perhaps for a better room and easing off the spirits. However the spa and wonderful dining experience are our main memories of our stay.

Room Tip: Poyntings was quiet but view was of asphalt roof and disappointing considering what's at the front of building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you, your issues are noted. Most of our rooms have views over the manicured grounds, golf course and Kent countryside. As is normal practice in country house hotels all spirits are served as doubles. Our booking procedures are normal for the industry and no money is actually taken until your departure.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

I booked the hotel last minute after travelling through Holland, Belgium and France. On arrival my I was shown to my fantastic room and even better bed. Sleep came quickly in a comfortable bed, breakfast was superb, as was the morning swim. It was a pity I could not stay longer, but a lovely hotel in fantastic countryside.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you, another happy traveller.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My fiancé took me for a romantic treat here and he had booked an afternoon tea. Wow what a let down. Afternoon tea is one of my favourite treats and have had them all over the place and with such a lovely location and a high price I was expecting something special. I couldn't have been more disappointed. We were sat at a very small table in the reception area of all places, bearing in mind it's the end of December and perishingly cold outside, people come in and out and leaving the door open,how ridiculous. Also being the reception area we had the lovely entertainment of the receptionist,who was talking very loudly to customers and staff. Not good enough really. This was pre booked about three weeks in advance, you think they could of found somewhere a little better than this to seat people.
The table was far too small and we were in arm chairs too far apart so could barely hear each other to talk. The first pot of tea I had was far too week and again nothing special. There was a long delay as there had been problems in the kitchen,it's sandwiches for goodness sake, which when the food did eventually arrive yet more disappointment. The cakes were very tasty but so very small and we had two each, which didn't even amount to a mouthful. I'm not a greedy pig but if I'm paying £40 I expect to be fed something! The sandwiches again were tiny but tasty. One of the scones was delicious the other was a bit over baked.
On leaving we were asked if we wanted a box to take some cakes, that we had not eaten away with us, I still chuckle now thinking about this comment. I know some other reviews had said that they had taken cakes away with them, they must have been dining with mice or had their cakes replenished many times.which we did not.
Unimpressed really there are much nicer and better value afternoon/cream teas out there!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Libby B
managementeastwell, Owner at Eastwell Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

We are not certain why these adverse comments have been withheld for nearly two months. We have many requests for afternoon tea by the fire in the grand hall and teas are always amazingly popular, particularly before Christmas. It is a simple fact that many afternoon tea guests consider the meal so ample that they do ask to take away their surplus cakes and we have had boxes prepared for that sole purpose.