“brilliant stay”

The Kings Arms
cleckheaton west yorks
“brilliant stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Just spent (4) fantastic nights at the kings Arms,fron the 16.08.14 til the 20th.08.14. What a lovely place set in a picturesque village.The host Jill and Derek were very welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable,lovely and clean establishment and food was excellent both breakfast and the meals we ate in the pub very reasonably priced.Will definetly be going back next year thankyou from Karen,Kelvin and Wendy.

Room Tip: both rooms brilliant excellent shower
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Christchurch
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I came to the Kings Arms after staying in excellent and cheaper properties on the Continent. It suffers from the comparison, although I think by UK terms it is OK.

It is an older property and it lacks in fittings and decoration.

Having said that the room was fine, the bathroom OK (as long as you are small - for the shower), breakfast was good, bar meals for dinner were OK and the hosts were helpful.

Arrived before bar opening time - so getting in was difficult (find the front door and ring the bell) - but for the next day I was given a key.

Wifi worked well, but the room lacked a desk on which to work.

Basically a typical UK pub - and at least it had great beer!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had two nights here we thought it was lovely. Great value for money . The landlady and staff were helpful and friendly. Room was very clean and the bathroom was nice and clean. Food was nice breakfast was good . Tea and coffee facilities in the room. All in all nice quiet village , great value for money. We would definitely go back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel C
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

stayed one night, arrived approx 16.00hrs, pub closed but found entrance and landlady was there to greet us. showed us to room which was fine for one night, clean and had tea coffee tray.
found difficulty in finding light switch for bathroom, it was beside shower well out of sight!
feel decor could do with an overhaul as looking tired and drab.
breakfast mediocre, not offered choice of brown or whilte bread, had scrambled egg, not particularly tasty, husband happy with his cooked breakfast though.
one criticism would be that there was no information regarding time of breakfast or where to park when car park full.
overall cheap place to stay if only passing through.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

There are only 2 places to stay in Stratton-on-the-Fosse and only I place to visit - the school. This pub is on the main road but not noisy and there is easy parking. The rooms are above the bar but again we were not disturbed. It looks as if it is in the middle of refurbishment as there was a door at the top of the stairs which was not fitted around the surround. Much stored furniture was visible from the landing in adjacent rooms. The bed was comfortable and the room clean and modern with the facility to make tea. However the bathroom light could not be found in the dark and this was because the pulley was well inside the room next to the shower. The towel rail was loose and indeed fell off. Breakfast was unexceptional although full cooked is included in the price. Overall we felt that the experience did not justify the price of £69.

Room Tip: Our room at the back was quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bluebellplasnewydd
Wimborne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Despite reading encouraging reviews The Kings Arms failed miserably the weekend of the 14th March. My partner and I had booked a room for two nights. I arrived at the Kings Arms at 3.30pm to find it closed, I sat in my car for two hours watching people coming and going to try and get in the pub. I then telephoned and spoke to the landlady to cancel the accommodation as my partner had not received a booking confirmation and had booked elsewhere. The landlady assured me that we would not be charged. We now find that the Kings Arms has taken our money and is denying all knowledge of ever having this conversation with me.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jennifer B
StagediveRy, Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback, the public house is closed between 2 and 6 on weekdays, but we do have a bell you can ring on the front door if you arrive before check-in time.

You could always have called the number as soon as you arrived if you could not locate the bell.

I'm afraid our cancellation policy clearly states that full payment will be taken if not cancelled 48 hours before the date of scheduled arrival, in which case no payment will be taken.

Booking.com send the confirmation on our behalf, and if for some reason it doesn't arrive, I would advise calling as soon as the booking is made rather than waiting until the day of check-in.

Thank you.
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

One thing I can't stand is pretentious establishments where people mince up to you after you start eating and ask if everything is all right. Being Brits we say yes everything is fine even though it might be dreadful.

I can guarantee that this establishment does not fall into this category. We visit it many times for a quiet pint because it is easy to get to, is intimate without being claustrophobic and has adequate areas for drinking and eating. It is a truly local pub and most people who come there know each other but don't let this put you off it's not cliquey.

Derek and Jill are indeed there and maintain a sense of humour even though they work seven days a week so far as I can see. On Sundays and holidays they do have help. We went there today Sunday 24th November 2013 for lunch. There was a choice of three types of meat, and about eight different types of vegetables. My other half who is vegetarian selected some cheddar cheese as an alternative; they were not able to cook vegetarian food as such because there is only one chef and they don't seem to do frozen food.

For two Sunday lunches, two large glasses of Merlot, and one sponge pudding with custard I paid £28. This is a little below par for the course in this area where people are starting to charge £11.95 for a standard Sunday lunch which I find a bit steep.

On cold days there is a log fire and the television is on most of the time but you can escape that if you want in the main sitting room-come-restaurant area which is quite small.

There is a good variety of food in general and they sometimes do 'two mains for one' Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday lunchtime.

I do recommend that people visit. It is what it is. Jill wouldn't know how to chat you up if she tried, she just does her very homely best to make everyone comfortable and feel at home. I suppose we go there about once a fortnight on average.

The accommodation in part faces the road but don't worry the traffic drops off in the evening so you will not notice and also don't worry that there is a pub downstairs because people are not noisy.

Yes they love dogs and there is a large friendly example behind the bar. I'm useless on breeds ... maybe a collie. White and black anyway.

Room Tip: They look after you which ever room you are in.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratton-on-the-Fosse
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
#1 of 4 in Radstock
The Old Priory
The Old Priory
#1 of 2 in Midsomer Norton

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!