“Good stop over”

Ranked #3 of 4 East Harling B&B and Inns
Belper, United Kingdom
“Good stop over”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The pub is in a very small village. The front look likes an old fashioned village pub, however the inside is a lot bigger and very contemporary.

The room was a good size with a good size en suite and a good TV.

The food in the restaurant is excellent, very fresh. The breakfast was the highlight, pre-ordered the evening before.

My room was above were the smokers pollute the atmosphere and were quite noisy until the pub closed, not to bad.

Phone reception was also an issue, but not the Hotels fault.

Room Tip: Eat at the restaurant downstairs....
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bangkokram

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My husband and I were staying at a local campsite for a long weekend, and on the Sunday decided we wanted to enjoy dinner in a local pub. Although the George and Dragon didn't advertise a Sunday roast on their internet menu, we chose to go here anyway. We were very pleasantly surprised when we walked into the pub to see that a carvery was available. I have to say, it was one of, if not the best pub carvery's I have ever eaten - absolutely delicious! There was a choice of beef, pork and turkey (or all three if you fancied!) with a variety of sides and absolutely scrummy crackling! I understand the pub has been recently refurbished and very tastefully so too. The dinner was a little on the pricier side (£10 for the carvery), but in my opinion well worth it. When we camp in Thetford Forest next time, we will definately be visiting the Goerge & Dragon for Sunday lunch (and maybe other meals!) again!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2012

A friend and I stayed during a recent golfing trip, I was hoping for an adequate little place just to get some sleep every night but the place exceeded my expectations in every way.
There are 4 room, each with en suite bathroom. Tea and coffee facilities are provided but if you do run out the staff are more than happy to top them up for you (even going as far as to let me know where the supplies were kept if we needed anything!).
Excellent breakfast with plenty of choice. You need to order it the night before but this is fine for me. We had our three evening meals in the bar/restaurant downstairs and have to say that the food was excellent.
The staff were incredibly accommodating and always greeted you with a smile on their faces. Nothing was too much trouble for them, we could have ordered breakfast for any time between about 5.00 and 9.00 am!
Overall a very nice place to stay, and if I were travelling to the area again I would have no hesitation in booking another few nights.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AirRaidPatrol
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed in the G&D for three nights with my wife. The G&D is wonderful value for money. The accommodation is contemporary styled with four en-suite bedrooms. The whole place has had a recent refit and everything is spot on. The beds are very comfortable.
Breakfast is excellent. We also eat two evening meals at the G&D while staying. Again the food is excellent with a very good menu covering everything from Steak to bangers and mash!
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed for two nights on business recently, the accommodation and service at The George and Dragon was beyond my expectations. The staff are friendly and very welcoming they make the place what it is, a great pub with good accommodation and excellent food. I will most definitely stay again when I’m in the area and have already recommended it to my colleagues.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

great pub and good accomodation food was excellent. staff very friendly. would definately stay again had a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carlton l
Beverley
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We visited the George & Dragon one lunchtime and really enjoyed it.
The restaurant has a lovely ambience to it and the staff were helpful and pleasant.
We had the home made burger and chips...be warned you need to be hungry as the portions are huge ..no room left for a pudding which was a shame as they looked delicious.
We will be going there again next time we are in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in East Harling
Dog and Partridge
Dog and Partridge
#1 of 1 in Wretham

Been to The George & Dragon? Share your experiences!