“A hearty breakfast”

Simonsvlei Winery Restaurant
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Paarl, South Africa
“A hearty breakfast”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Had a business breakfast meeting in the middle of the week. Received very friendly with menus brought swiftly to the table and an offer of coffee. Offered a big table given that we were going to have a meeting. All of us had the Full English Breakfast. This was served with plenty of whole-wheat bread toast and butter. I requested poached eggs (soft) and they were prepared perfectly. Everything else on the plate also well-prepared and tasty. A good-sized portion too. Atmosphere was relaxed and peaceful; service good and friendly. Venue is easily reached from the N1; well situated for meetings / meals with people from outside town (Paarl).

• Visited October 2013

Riversdale
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexpected excellence!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We were a party of seven and our orders were varied. Those who ate the pizza were treated to an excellent meal. The curried chicken was excellent and the tripe (a risky choice!) was superb - it was tender and I savoured the curried tripe with amazement. All of this came at an extremely competitive price. It will certainly be hard to beat this restaurant for value for money!

• Visited July 2013
“Ughh”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Very, very disappointing lunch. This place clearly works for families with small children, with a fenced in play area (but completely unfenced large pond). However, when the best part is the malva pudding and the rest to be questioned ...... Beef and barley soup needs to have more taste than this did (the best description I could think of is not a food term, but it was "shallow"), prawn risotto should not be a blended mush, and lamb roast very dry and luke-warm served with vegetables cooked a bit too much and also not piping hot. And we were early diners, so there is no excuse for really poor roast lamb or for cold food. My lamb was hard, dry chunks, not moist slices - probably the worst lamb I have eaten anywhere. My companion also had the lamb special, which was dry, but at least sliced. A guest at a nearby table dropped his knife and fork on the floor; the manageress saw that, picked up the knife and placed it back on the guest's place setting; the fork was left on the floor. Neither was replaced by the manageress.

• Visited June 2013
“Excellent”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I checked Simonsvlei restaurant two times in last two weeks. I tasted different pizzas and they were all just delicious (I come from european country which is just next to Italy, so I know how real pizza should taste like!). :) It was very good, congratulations! At my second visit I ordered pork steak (wiener schnitzel) with mashed potato. It was also very delicious. Thank you to Simonsvlei waiters also for fast and friendly service. At the end I was also surprised by the prices which are very affordable, I couldn't beleive to my eyes when I saw my vallet was still thick when leaving the place.
So general impression: excellent. I recommend a visit.
Matej
P.S.
Only thing I noticed was south african way of making mashed potato which is different to european. Next time (with permission of chef) I would like to introduce slovenian way of making mashed potato - of course if chef agrees. :) So you might Go International! ;)

• Visited February 2013
“Bad attitude/food issues”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My boyfriend had pizza and I had a smoked chicken salad.
The pizza was bland, and then he asked for garlic, which was oily and made the pizza worse!
I had to give him feta and avocado from my salad to at least make the pizza taste better!
When he got to the second last slice, he found a hair on the pizza. He then told the waiter,
who came back, asking “where’s the hair”, we looked and suddenly the hair is missing. No apology, nothing.
We then just wanted to leave, so asked for the bill, when we received it;
we saw that the garlic and extra sauce was charged for at R15!!
For That horrible garlic and without informing us that there is a charge for it!

My boyfriend then went to query it and it was brought back removed from the bill,
he asked to speak to the manager, as she at this stage still did not at least come out to apologize.
When she eventually came out, she had an attitude and asked “why didn’t you bring the pizza back when you first saw the hair”.

Would someone seriously go on eating a pizza after seeing a hair on!
Obviously the minute he saw it, he stopped eating, it just happened to be the second last slice,
who checks out a pizza thoroughly before eating it. We were both disgusted after seeing the hair,
so much so that I didn’t even finish my food. She just pushed with the fact that the pizza was only
brought back when there was one slice left. She had a bad attitude!! No apology!

We understand mistakes can happen, however certain things need to be checked before leaving the kitchen!
My boyfriend,being a manage himself, knows that a manager cannot be everywhere at once to monitor,
however the resturant was empty AND in cases like this, atleast come out and apologise, not sending out the waitor to
pass on the message and give us bad attitude about it being the second last slice. Its not like we were not going to
pay for it,we just wanted to bring it to their attention, but instead receive bad attitiude.

We like to try out new places all over the Western Cape and choose Simonsvlei out of
5 other restaurants in the Paarl area, however we will NEVER go there again or recommended it to anyone.

• Visited June 2012