“Appeared that we were doing them a favour”

Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Pembury
London, United Kingdom
“Appeared that we were doing them a favour”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booking the room was unpleasant, booking staff were moody at best, unfriendly and impatient at worst. Would have stayed elsewhere but I was with a large wedding party.
Room was ok, not big by any standards. Breakfast was ok, although they were not prepared for a large influx of diners at 9.15 (breakfast finished at 9.30). Staff seemed perplexed that we left it so late to eat..."I ask you, how inconsiderate of us."
Fast check out was slooooow.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank T5530BCchrisb
Chris R, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Chris B

Thank you for your review, I would appreciate it if I could hear more about your experience. Please could I request that you contact me on the following email : gm.mercuretunbridgewells@jupiterhotels.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Dartford, Kent
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night, whilst attending a birthday party. Lovely use of all facilities, sauna, steam room, pool ect. Hotel & rooms v clean. Staff were friendly, receptionist lovely girl. Bar staff friendly & will serve you till whatever time you want. breakfast staff slightly slow service, bit hectic but was busy, food nice though. Would go back.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank gemstar30
Dear gemstar30

Thank you so much for your kind review of the Mercure Tunbridge Wells, please be assured that this will be shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

For the price of £150 a room I was extremely disappointed with this hotel. We stayed here as we were at a wedding near by. The breakfast staff were just bad. Whilst we waited to be seated at one point a member of staff walked towards us, looked at us and walked away. The buffet wasn't great and wasn't filled up on time.

The rooms were pretty standard although the bed was really springy and twanged a lot when we moved and wasn't very comfortable. Any movement was also amplified as it travelled through the springs meaning my partner gently moving his foot resulted in me bouncing up and down. We were on the ground floor (of 2 floors in total) and were woken each morning as the people above us got up to move around by creaky floor boards.

I would not stay here again. A pretty naff hotel with an overpriced tariff.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank sja1980
Chris R, General Manager at Mercure Tunbridge Wells, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear sja1964

Thank you for your feedback and please be assured that we will utilise your feedback effectively to ensure our team are focussed on delivering great experiences for our guests.

Travellers are raving about these Pembury hotels

Essex
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here last Saturday, on arrival there was no one at reception, we waited a while then two women came from the back room. There appearance could do with smartening up. We checked in and were initially given a room with two single beds but we were able to change to a double bedded room without any fuss which was appreciated.
The room was clean but had that dated feel to it, a lovely large bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom was functional but we only had one bath towel and one hand towel between the two of us which I thought a bit odd.
We had room 139 which was on the end of a block and felt like we were on the hard shoulder of the motorway. So if you are a light sleeper don't accept this room. The window frame at the bottom was covered in mould which wasn't very pleasant.
The room cost £80 with no breakfast included which felt a bit high especially as it was not near any facilities, the location was not great to be honest. Breakfast is an extra £10 per person and offered a good selection. There seemed to be a lack of waiting staff and we had to wait a very long time for tea and coffee and then again when we wanted a second up. I didn't eat breakfast as I did not feel well and they very kindly deducted this from our bill without any problem.
We wouldn't rush to stay there again as the location was too far out from the town centre and restaurants etc but if your passing through it would be OK. I would try to negotiate breakfast to be included as £100 for two people for one night is a bit steep, during the week hotels are full of business people but at the weekends I would hope to get a better deal.

Room Tip: Avoid room 139. They have weddings here and we were told when we checked in that there could be so...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Champagne1958
Dear Champagne 1958

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please be assured that the room rate pricing is market appropriate. Please also be assured that I am reviewing all your feedback with the team.
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A four star hotel which was our base for a Kent and Sussex gardening trip. The main areas were very good and initially we used a room which was used for conferences for our evening meal until we were changed on the third night as another coach party had left. Unfortunately none of us were told of this move which I could have been informed about to let the group know in advance, as the group leader. My room was of a very good standard but was behind the reception where a lot of noise came from the staff which went on until late in the evening and started early in the morning at 5am! The service in the restaurant left a lot to be desired,. This was after I gave out the menus each day and handed them into reception each evening on our return, so that they knew in advance what we wanted. I felt overall that the management was not as good as it should have been for its 4* rating. I was not happy one time when I went to reception when another guest was leaving and was obviously not happy about something and the receptionist pulled a face as he left! Not very professional!

Room Tip: Make sure that your room is well away from the reception area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Maria H

Thank you for your review and please be assured that I will pick up on all of your points internally at the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly should you require any further feedback.
Leek, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I, as members of a coach group, have just returned from spending four nights at the hotel. It was a most pleasant experience from the moment our room keys were handed to us on the coach until we reboarded to go home. Our luggage was taken to and collected from our room. The room was maintained each day to a very high standard; no detail was overlooked. We were made most welcome in the dining room by friendly, courteous and efficient staff who were well managed. On a personal note we found the food to be well prepared and to our liking. There was a problem on the first night in serving over forty people who had made their choices from the menu at the beginning of the meal. This was solved for the subsequent nights.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Keith R
Dear Keith R

Thank you for taking the time to post your review for the Hotel and thank you for your kind comments regarding the service and experience you received. I do hope you enjoyed your Kentish experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the area soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembury
The Spa Hotel
Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
The Royal Wells Hotel
The Royal Wells Hotel
#6 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Mercure Tunbridge Wells? Share your experiences!