“Conference stay”
Review of Cedars Inn

Cedars Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Sticklepath B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Pub looks nice from the outside.. Dinner was good. Wine also. However rooms very tired and need massive refurb. Begrudged the fact i needed to phone reception about non existent wifi and phone clearly not been cleaned in years! Breakfast was scarey.. Food was ok but service not the best and staff quite strict and unwelcoming. Luckily we don't have conferences in barnstaple very often!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank anon19
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at Cedars Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you for choosing Cedars for your conference. I can assure you we are updating our rooms on an ongoing basis. Kind regards

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have stayed in Many places and this hotel is a great disappointment, on arrival the reception was dirty with all paint Chipping's on the floor, .. Finally got a room key, we stayed in the pub not the hotel, omg pictures say it all, the hall is grubby and dirty, the carpets are stained including the chair outside our room, the ceiling paper is falling off , we got to our room and it stank of carpet freshener, one small window that is black with dirt we opened to breath..... The bathroom is dated and needs updating, mould in room and bathroom see pictures. We paid £100 per night, I am appalled, it should be £45 per night max. We had dinner In The restaurant, my husband asked the waitress what table was ours she showed him, he came and got me to find the table was given to someone else, we ordered dinner, the meal was great other than I asked for pepper sauce and was given mushroom. The service was terrible, we ordered a bottle of wine, the waitress plonked it in front of us unopened and no wine cooler and then abandoned us. The manager came he gave us cutlery for our soup as we had none and got us a wine cooler. Dessert was fine. Breakfast was good other than you get told, toast over there , you need to cook it yourself, we got served coffee to be told milk is by the toaster if we wanted it. The service in this hotel is disgusting. If it has stars which I need to see they should be downgraded and I will write with my complaint if they do have stars. First and last visit cedars, what you see is not what you get, be warned when booking. The second night in the dining room we ordered wine , it never came, ordered lasagne it was burnt stuck to the dish and was tasteless. Customer service yet again non existent. Never again

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tadadam

Thank you for your review. We are acting upone your feedback to make constant improvements

Reviewed 4 July 2014

All the staff including the manager who carried my case up the stairs for me, they were so helpful and very friendly. Very comfy and clean room, lovely breakfast I would highly recommend this hotel. The grounds are lovely around the hotel and its not too far from Barnstaple or Braunton.

Room Tip: If you stay in the main building there is no lift but the manager carried my case to the room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at Cedars Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give your review. I am pleased to see the work that has been completed in the grounds has been noticed. We invest time and money in team training and I am pleased to see my team delivered again on this occasion. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Peter Elder General Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here last night as I was working away in Barnstaple
Found this hotel on the internet and very please
Wonderful food and quality breakfast (great staff and hard working Eric)
Great feel to the place and very comfortable
I had room one which was very spacious with a great bed
Disappointed with bathroom, dated and being integral with no window
Drain smell, clean but needs money spending on it

I will stay again in the future

Brian (Lancashire)

Room Tip: As above only stayed in bedroom one
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedars Inn barnstaple. I am pleased that you have discovered us and would like to assure you that we are undergoing work to improve our bathrooms, this is an ongoing project. I will ensure I pass on your comments about service to Eric and the team. Kind regards Peter Elder General Manager.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

today i met up with my son, his partner and a friend along with my teenage children to have something to eat and a couple of drinks as it was a beautiful day, we sat outside at the entrance to the hotel. food was ordered and in fairness it arrived sharpish and hot, i asked the waitress for cutlery when she put the food down and her reply was ' its inside help yourself' - 1st bad point. so we left the food on the table and went inside to retrieve cutlery. this in itself was poor customer. My daughter ordered a lasagne which was unedible due to being full of cheese ( and trust me we like cheese but this was more cheese than anything) we attempted to get a waiter who kept walking past trying to find other tables with food that seemed to be walked around the gardens before being claimed by its owners, anyway we gave up as we were ignored, our dessert came out over an hour after the main course and our dirty dishes were still on the table, i couldnt believe it when the waitress tried to put one of the plates on top of the dirty dishes from previous. She only stopped when i said 'really' and then she tried to push it to the side which was impossible due to the amount of dirty dishes on the table, so my daughter ended up holding the sweet on her lap while she eventually cleaned up half of the dishes, i told her about the lasagne and she said why didnt you come find us, my reply was that it was THEIR job to come and check on customers not ours to run round finding staff, then she replied I DONT LIKE CHEESE, !!!!!!!!! and took the plate away but didnt return to let us know about our complaint, or clear rest of the table. I eventually found another waiter and told him and he said it was a new member of staff and that was it, so i had to push and say that that was not an excuse and that the food was awful as 3 of us tried it and said it was inedible, so i asked him to inform the manager as i was not happy with the responce so far, 5 minutes later he asked me to the till and i was given a refund. Im sorry but the damage had been done. Customer service was lacking and food was awful - we most certainly will not be going back there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank flo043
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at Cedars Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your food at the Cedars on this occasion. I am pleased to see my duty manager dealt with this and refunded your meals. I have taken on board your comments and will ensure all team members are telling guests were to pick up cutlery and sauces for the outside. We do offer full service in the Restaurant, but not in the gardens, as displayed on all the large bar blackboards. I will pass on your comments to our suppliers with refference to the amount of cheese used to top the lasagne. Kind regards Peter and the team.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having stayed in March and enjoyed our visit we booked again in June.staff were less friendly,thehotel neededsome general tlc, dinner was mediocre and service poor but breakfast wasgenerally good. It has such potential but in this instance was poor value. We will look elsewhere in the future.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

As you will know from your previous visit to the Cedars, this is not the normal standard. We have employed a team of gardeners and maintenance staff to inprove the grounds. Thank you for your comments

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We all had a super day and was well looked after. My husband, myself and all the guests cant fault the care and support we had through out our day and also the constant communication we had through out our plans.
My only fault was the honeymoon suit, it did not feel special or romantic but then again we stayed one night and that was the wedding night and wasn't in the room long.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking thet time to review your wedding and stay at the Cedars. Kevin and the wedding team work extreemly hard to ensure everything is covered and the day runs smoothly. I will pass on your comments to Kevin and his team. Kind regards and we wish you all the best for the future. Peter Elder General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sticklepath
The Imperial Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
Durrant House
Durrant House
#8 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Cedars Inn? Share your experiences!