“Absolutely superb!”
other travellers have booked this property
Front door full picture Living Room
Double bedroom
Second Bedroom
Second Bedroom
Bathroom
Village view from the cliff
Limpet ring
Houses at the Dock
Robin Hoods Bay from the beach
Whitby Abbey
View of the Bay from inland
Prize winning ram at Egton agricultural show 2013
Sandcastle and view to Ravenscar
Recent visitor comments
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Cottage -
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 6
Fylingthorpe, Robin Hood's Bay, North York Moors National Park, North Yorkshire, England

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 34 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Susan A
Matlock
“Scruffy and tatty, along with health and safety concerns”
Reviewed 30 June 2016 for a stay in July 2015
person found this review helpful

I am late posting this review, primarily because I was trying to upload my photographs as some evidence of all the negatives about Coach House Cottage. I ultimately failed to upload the photographs but decided to post the review anyway.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything positive to say about this place. My friend and I stayed here for a few nights, along with my daughter, son-in-law and their young family (see my daughter’s separate review entitled ‘Shabby n chic-less’) and it was such a disappointment. First of all, the photographs of the outside door, which bears a sign declaring the property’s name, are very misleading and are virtually no help to first-time visitors trying to find the place. This blue painted door, which is the only outside door, is actually situated at the back of the property and is reached by a fair number of steep, deep and irregular steps that lead up from the main street. My friend and I, arriving some time ahead of my daughter and her family, had a lot of trouble finding the property, even with the help of locals and, no wonder! ‘Coach House Cottage’ is more like a flat, situated on the first and second floor of business premises. An hour or so after arriving at the lovely place that is Robin Hood’s Bay, and with the assistance of locals, my friend and I were relieved to finally walk through the door. What an anti-climax that turned out to be!

In my opinion, this place is just plain tacky with little comfort. Hygiene is less than satisfactory, especially in the kitchen sink area where there is a filthy looking wooden plinth on which the taps sit. In terms of equipment, the kitchen was adequate although the absence of a microwave had me baffled. Clearly, this was not a kick against modernity since there was a DAB radio sitting proudly nearby. Worryingly, there were considerable health and safety issues, including trailing wires from the television, no handrail on the main staircase or on the steps between the living room and the kitchen, various tablets and bits of medication left in the bathroom cabinet and water that was either scalding hot or freezing cold. Due to the sloping ceiling in the bathroom, it was not possible to fully stand up when taking a shower and we ended up holding the shower whilst crouching in the bath. Although not hazardous, the twin beds were not in the slightest bit comfortable whilst the bedroom curtains were flimsy and cheap looking and did nothing to block out the morning light which just streamed in and woke me at an unearthly hour.

Given the health and safety issues, I cannot see how this cottage can be described as being ‘family friendly’, as claimed by the owner who also wrongly assumed that we were on a ‘seaside, beach holiday’. I also wonder how the owner believes that two young children, a five months old baby and her two year old brother, should be transported, if not by some type of travel system. We were hardly travelling with a 1960s style high slung Silver Cross pram! Surely, if you are marketing accommodation as being ‘family friendly’, it is reasonable to think that this might entail the need for some equipment.

Living in a small cottage, located in a small market town, I fully appreciate the charm and character that often come with older buildings. However, ‘Coach House Cottage’ has neither charm nor character but is just scruffy and tacky with some health and safety concerns. In my view, it is definitely one to avoid.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Robin Hood's Bay is delightful
Liked least: The health and safety issues of 'Coach House Cottage'
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
2 Jul 2016
1, I am very sorry that a year later you are still feeling unhappy enough about your holiday that you feel the need to post another review. A year ago I had dialogue with your daughter and settled a refund, so I can not avoid thinking this is a bit unnecessary. I can only apologise again to you that you did not have a better holiday. I have concluded in the years of opening our cottage as a rental that some people really enjoy Coach House Cottage and some people are expecting something very different. I really hope people read everything on my descriptions and in these reviews because it is very upsetting to have this level of insult put online. Let me assure you there is no great profit in renting out your holiday home and I try really hard to make our cottage as comfortable and fun as possible. It is not an exercise in trickery and money making. I have lots of families with small children come over and over again to our cottage, and similarly older people who don't find the things wrong with it that you and your family have. On the other other hand I cannot change basic structural and positional things about it. The bathroom has a sloped ceiling and the cottage is not widely known in the village because its not on the main drag. The name on the cottage door is not misleading, that is its name. The village is made up of tucked away alleys, streets and hidden cottages. I state that our cottage is above the dinosaur museum. and describe the sequence of steps up from the street.

2, We now have a new kitchen and mattresses throughout.

3, We will NOT EVER have a microwave, its not 'baffeling' Its a life style choice. I have now made that clear in my notes for other people. The DAB radio is not a stab at modernity because there is no radio reception down there at the bottom of the village (accept on line, we do have WiFi). We have it there to play ipods on.

6, The cottage has been fire safety checked recently and no health and safety issues were raised about wires or staircases. We were asked to up date the fire alarms and supply emergency torches, which is in hand.

I hope you have a better holiday in 2016
Deborah46
Lincoln
“Absolutely superb!”
Reviewed 2 May 2016 for a stay in April 2016

My husband and I booked Coach House Cottage to celebrate our 9th Wedding Anniversary based on the reviews for 2 nights.

We booked directly with Hannah and had no problem at all with this and promptly received all the details we needed about the cottage, access and contacts.

We arrived in sleet and were keen to park up and unpack and go out to eat, I rang and spoke to key holder Nikki who was most helpful and friendly, and I asked if we could go into the cottage earlier to get the permit. This was not a problem as Nikki said that the cottage was ready for us, I rang Nikki a couple of times just to query things and this was really useful. The neighbour, Jack, next door came out when we arrived and helped me with the key and was very friendly.

We immediately loved the cottage when we arrived, it was warm and cosy and remained so for the rest of our stay, there were heaters in every room and these were all on to welcome us, we enjoyed sitting by the log fire each evening.

We were very grateful of the milk in the fridge and the delicious biscuits which were left for us when we arrived, plus there were teabags and all the cleaning equipment etc, it made such a difference. Even soap and handwash in the bathroom. No need to bring bedding or towels, these are all provided.

The cottage is beautiful, so quaint and comfortable, we had a lovely 2 night stay there. Loved the Victorian slipper bath. We used the booster switch and always had an abundance of hot water.

We loved Robin Hoods Bay and enjoyed sandwiches at The Bay Hotel on arrival, and yummy lemon cake and a cuppa at Ellas. Tea, Toast and Post was great for a doorstep bacon sarnie. We ate at The Dolphin on our first night and the food was really good, we were recommended to The Smugglers for our Anniversary evening and booked in advance, this was wonderful and lovely for a celebration. Loved the Surf and Turf there! We found that there wasn't anywhere that served breakfast early and we decided we didn't want to cook whilst in the cottage although there was excellent cooking facilities, everywhere tends to open about 9.30 or later. We found Swell for our last breakfast whilst staying in the cottage and that was good.

Everywhere we went the people were so friendly and helpful. We were lucky with the weather and enjoyed a lovely walk over the cliffs to Ravenscar and back and had a drink at the hotel at the cliff top. Went to Whitby on the bus at the top of the hill and back, they run every half hour, and enjoyed Fish and Chips at Magpies. Its just lovely just to wander around the bay.

The cottage was only available to us for two nights and we stayed two further nights in a bed and breakfast up the top. We loved our time in Robin Hoods Bay and we don't know whether wi fi worked or not as we were not there for that, and anyone who is wants to go somewhere else, this is a real retreat. A place you can really relax in.

Liked best: Its quirkiness
Liked least: there was nothing not to like, it was superb
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
3 May 2016
Wow, It sounds like you had a great anniversary. Some people just get our cottage and really enjoy it. This makes me very pleased. I arrived with the new WiFi router, so now We're online for any future stay you plan on taking. Thank you very much for taking the time to write.
FiFiRose
York, United Kingdom
“Charming cottage, but mind your head upstairs!”
Reviewed 17 April 2016 for a stay in April 2016

We ended up being poorly on our break in the cottage, so that was unfortunate and meant we didn't really enjoy the break. However, that aside, the cottage is lovely and is 2mins from the beach, so close you can hear the waves at night! The cottage was very, very cold, especially at night, the weather was cold though so this may explain it.
You must be a fan of hills and steps to stay in the cottage, and at RHB, the cottage is half way up a very steep hill, in a maze of similar cottages. This does make for a slight challenge to find the property, make sure you have the strength to lug your luggage from the car up or down a number of steep steps!!
We would've liked to know that there was bedding at the cottage, in amenities it just states 'linens'... There are also a number of condiments, herbs and spices in cupboards :)

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
19 Apr 2016
Thank you for taking the time to review . I am sorry about the cold, the cottage normally heats up and holds its heat well so I am surprised but will note getting the heat on earlier and I will amend the listing if it is not clear that everything is provided. The nature of Robin Hoods Bay means that all the cottages are set into the steep hillside amongst a maze of steps and alleys. This is what gives it its unique charm. Coach House Cottage is set just off and above the main road so certainly not as hard to find as some but again I will look at the directions I send out and see if I can make it clearer.
Allison D
Bradford
“Good size and cosy but needs TLC...”
Reviewed 4 April 2016 for a stay in March 2016
people found this review helpful

My husband and I stayed here in the Easter holidays with our two young children 7&3. The cottage is located very very near to the bay and the sea and the small choice of shops and pubs. The cottage had everything you could need (except a microwave!) and was nicely presented. The kitchen was a lovely size and the wood burner and open fire great for cosy nights in.
The views were not great out of the windows (the run down back side of The Dolphin Pub) but if you stretch your neck you can see the sea from the front nearer bedroom window.
No outside space with the cottage so indoors only if you are not out and about in the little streets.
The bedrooms were a good size, and the bathroom sizeable enough however a bad scum line around the bath (a small slipper bath, I'm only 5'7 and my legs were hung over the end!) so the cleaner needs to be more thorough.
The bedrooms are in the loft space and the main bedroom has a door into a cupboard containing the water tank which was very noisy. The windows in the bedrooms and most of the cottage look like the originals and are pretty useless giving a noisy cold wet draft and therefore in the bedrooms wet windows and mouldy curtains ...but the rooms were warm with all of the heating on.
The mattresses on the single beds looked very old and were crumpled and saggy, and the pillows old and yellowed.
The hot water was odd, as there was a boost button in the kitchen and the wood burner in the kitchen has a back boiler but it was not very clear., however on our first night we didn't have hot water. Not good with little,children.
There isn't any central heating in the cottage so the main heat after/and/or the fire and wood burner have burnt out is electric oil heaters. My little 3 year old and my husband both burnt theirselves on the heater in the lounge which was not good, especially for my 3 year old.
Also no WIFI in the bay.

Overall a lovely cottage but a lot of TLC needed, more cleaning and less clutter, and overpriced.

Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
5 Apr 2016
Thank you for taking the time to review so comprehensively. This is our family holiday cottage and run as such. Every year we take on something new to update. We have just done the kitchen which is still taking some getting used to. Last year the mattress in the double room was replaced and it is the turn of the singles this year. Instructions for the emersion switch are in the the cottage instructions but perhaps I need to stick a sign next to the switch on the wall and I will pass on the cleaning complaint. I only hope you managed a good holiday despite all this, Our family holidays with children have always been lovely.
bdavies44...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Perfect seaside hideaway”
Reviewed 1 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

This was a beautifully equipped accommodation. Me and my friends loved staying here, the rooms all had a very welcoming and quaint feel, you can tell the place has history and has been well looked after, without being outdated. We'd even go so far as to say the pictures don't do it justice!

The location is great, right near the Sea, central to Robin Hood's Bay. The locals all seemed very friendly, we could have happily stayed there for weeks. The one thing we had trouble with, was we found the hob was tricky to use, it would have been handy to have a little bit more instruction, as we found it kept turning itself off, but we manged fine!

The steep steps and sharp corner to get to the front door unfortunately wouldn't be suitable for wheelchair users, and might be a little tricky for families with little ones and prams etc, but otherwise, I'd highly recommend this property if you want to feel nestled in the heart and soul of Robin Hoods Bay :)

Liked best: Decor and location
Liked least: The hob was tricky to use and there was no Wi-Fi, but for a weekend getaway we didn't mind
Travelling group: Friends
Friends getaway
5 Apr 2016
Thank You for the great review. And you're right the cottage is not any good for wheel chair users and if you bring a pram to RHB then choose your cottage carefully.
Kevwan
London
“Great little place!”
Reviewed 11 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016
person found this review helpful

I stayed in Feb with my wife and some friends. We all really loved this cute little fisherman's cottage right in the centre of the beautiful lower Robin Hood's Bay.

The weather wasn't great when we went so we spent a fair bit of time in front of the fire playing board games - which was great.

The beds were comfy, the decoration was tasteful.

My only criticism is a minor one and it is that the water heating was a little bit confusing and some instructions on how it works would have been much appreciated.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Decoration and cuteness!
Liked least: Water heating
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
5 Apr 2016
Thank you. Note taken on the hot water heater.
Val m
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Cosy, convenient and very well equiped.”
Reviewed 17 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

Our host had thought of everything and we felt totally at home at Coach House Cottage. The car park was very convenient for the cottage. There were plenty of maps and booklets giving information on place to visit. We went on several lovely walks and were able to make up picnics thanks to having such a well equipped kitchen. Anyone with small children would find all the books and games a real bonus.

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Matress
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
5 Apr 2016
Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you had a good holiday
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing