“excellent dog friendly pub”

The Crown Country Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Lovely food and very dog friendly the landlady made a proper fuss of our dog.The service was excellent I would highly recommend this pub.

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

If overcooked & soggy vegetables, greasy roast potatoes & parsnips, burnt Yorkshire puddings and raw beef, plus a gum chewing, hysterical & downright rude proprietress are your idea of a pleasant Easter Sunday family reunion, then this is the Inn to visit!! Enough said!

9  Thank Susan B
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband & I have recently relocated to Newton in Cartmel and this pub is our local. We have visited a few times for different occasions, mainly with friends who have been visiting our new abode as we have always felt it is important to support local business. For the majority of our working life we have been self employed and know the importance of good customer service which was sadly lacking on this occasion. My husband is now the Fresh Food Director for a large convenience store wholesaler.
This visit was a belated Mothers Day meal with the whole family. 1 sister visiting from Turkey and another sister who brought my 82 yr old mother. 11 people in total. I thought it would be a special day, but were sadly proven wrong. I booked the table mid week for Sunday and was offered 12.30 or 1.30. I went for 12.30. When we arrived, we were told that the beef wasn't ready and would be about 15 minutes. We weren't in any hurry so decided that it wouldn't be a problem as a few wanted beef. The waitress took our drinks order while we looked at the choices. When she returned for our meal order, we ordered 2 childrens meals, 8 carvery, and my mother only wanted soup. At this time we stipulated that we only wanted the childrens meals and the soup at the same time as the beef would be ready.
Time passed and the childrens meals were brought out and my mothers soup which prompted me to ask about the beef, only to be told that it still wasn't ready and would still be around 5 minutes. When we mentioned that the other meals weren't supposed to be served until the beef was ready, the response we got from the manageress was ' we always serve the childrens meals first' and 'wasn't the soup a starter'. When I explained, the meals were taken away in an unpleasant manner.
I would probably say after another 10 minutes, the beef was brought out. When the beef was cut into, it was very obvious that it wasn't cooked and was very red in the centre, I asked if it was possible to cut the slices and finish them off on the griddle so that we could have our meal which they did. Myself, my husband and my daughter all had beef. It did look cooked but once I cut into min I realised that it was still very underdone but I do like my meat medium to rare so I decided to stick with it. My husband ate his but my daughter couldn't face eating hers and doesn't like turkey or ham so only ate potatoes and a yorkshire pudding.
When the waitress came to take our plates, she asked if everything had been alright I explained that my daughter was unable to eat her meat and in light of all that had happened I thought it a reasonable request to have her meal knocked off the bill. She said she would show it to the chef who is also the co-owner. The response was that he would only knock off the cost of the meat which I said wasn't acceptable so the manageress came over. She re-iterated that they were only prepared to knock off the cost of the meat and that she thought I was a troublemaker only looking for free food and she didn't want to see me in there again.
I was absolutely amazed. She didn't care about the service that we had and at no time offered an apology for anything that had happened. She just turned away and ignored us. Eventually after my husband went to speak to both her and the chef, they did knock 1 carvery off the bill. If they had done this initially we would have stayed for dessert and more than likely had another round of drinks and/or coffee.
We certainly won't ever be going into the pub again and will take our business elsewhere. It is just a shame that they have such a bad attitude with complaints, which I have realised after reading other reports. They have no customer service skills at all.

5  Thank Norbreck
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Visited for Sunday lunch with the family. We booked a table for the 12 of us at around 12:30, the place was quite quiet and we were sat opposite the carvery. We'd been in before and it was nothing to shout about but it was ok.
This time it was really something to behold. We were shown our seats and everything was normal, the waitress was taking our drinks order and the owner (Terrible woman) stated to the waitress the beef would be another 15 minutes, fortunately we heard this otherwise we wouldn't have known as the information was never relayed to us. Upon making our food order we asked if the kids meals and other meal which wasn't a carvery could be brought out when the beef was ready thinking this wouldn't be too much to ask as everyone likes to eat together. 5 minutes later and the meals were brought out, we asked if the beef was ready and the owner (Nasty woman) said the kids are always served first, fair enough but not when they have no idea how long it will take for the rest of the meals to come out. The carvery chef, who was the only good thing about the place kindly offered to store them before the owner (Lesley I think her name was) snatched the plates back and stormed off.
Around 20 minutes later the beef was brought out, raw! Sick of waiting we asked if they could cut the slices and cook those separately to speed the process, 5 minutes later and we finally all had our meals.
The beef wasn't the best but we soldiered on as no one bothered to ask if everything was ok, and for the prices they charge and how quiet it was its not really the kind of service you would expect.
When they came to take our plates and the waitress asked if everything was alright we said the beef wasn't the best and we thought we'd let you know, the next minute this Lesley woman comes straight over and starts saying she'll take the price of the meat off from one of the dinners but as we'd ate everything else that's it, she started becoming very aggressive insinuating we were just after a free meal which is ridiculous as we were paying over £150 for Sundays dinner! Then her horrible other half came out of the kitchen and started insinuating it was our fault for not telling them sooner! They had already failed twice before we'd even got the raw beef! at this point they both became extremely aggressive and finally said we were barred! For criticising there food and service! It's called constructive criticism, you're not going to get it right all the time but just deal with it, accept you didn't do the best of jobs and actually show some hospitality. Glad we never have to or can enter this place again as the owners don't seem to have a clue about respect or customer service.

5  Thank Liam W
Reviewed 13 April 2014

It is a couple of years since we have been to this restaurant. The menu has changed - and so have the prices- sharply upward. It is now expensive for what is on offer in what is little more than a pub.
The restaurant was almost empty, but we waited 40 minutes for our main course. The food itself was well presented and well cooked although a slightly greater choice would have been pleasing.
We were concerned to see both a chef and waitresses fussing a large dog that was in the pub and restaurant area. I would like to think they washed their hand afterwards. We will need some persuading to return.