“Deceptively large”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Prince of Wales

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stow Maries
Prince of Wales
Ranked #1 of 1 Stow Maries B&B and Inns
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Deceptively large”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

On approach, the pub appears to be a small road-side pub, but it is a warren of rooms together with a large outside area in the yard and ample parking. The bars are adorned with memorabilia from WW1 and the nearby Stow Maries Airfield in particular. A comprehensive menu is available, but we went for the pub favourite, ham, eggs and chips. Freshly cooked, well presented and very reasonably priced at £7.95. Four or five ales were available ranging from 3.8% abv to 5% abv., one being an American Pale Ale and another being a black beer. Captain Bob at 3.8% was a very nice bitter. We will definitely be calling again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank peebee43

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here numerous times and excellent food, reasonably priced, local produce. Prompt and friendly service. Great selection of ales and beers. Really traditional feel, cosy open fires in winter and large beer garden in summer. Excellent fireworks display and comedy and entertainment always good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The pub, staff and food is fantastic. Stayed for one night - the room is very small and the bed was a small double (or certainly seemed like it) which was a bit of a let down and the slightest movement led to all manner of squeeks and creaks! the room was clean and fittings of a high standard (apart from the bed springs!). Very strange having a clear windown into the room with no cover so had to hang a jacket up to give privacy.

Unless there was a need, I would not stay here again by choice, purely because of the bed and the window but I'd certainly use the pub and eat there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Prince of Wales is notorious for its fish and chips - aptly named the Prince of Whales!
This is a lovely pub with a good atmosphere. Great oldy worldy setting.
Good beers, friendly staff and a busy kitchen.
Shame it's off the beaten track and out of my way because I would go more regularly.

Room Tip: My review is for the pub and not the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Redandy60
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I had been incorrectly directed (but by someone with the best of intentions !)from the Railway station at South Woodham Ferrers to the R.F.C aerodrome at Stow Maries. The route given me , which turned out to be two miles longer than it needed-led me to the` Prince of Wales `in the villlage of Stow Maries.
only a hot and thirsty walker or (like me) a cyclist knows the relief of coming on a place where one can get a drink of water ; so, to round a bend and see a picturesque white clap-boarded Pub at lunch time was perfection.! And so it turned out. I paid only two thirds of what I would have expected to pay for a pint of lemonade and a brilliant beef curry (popadoms, chapati, amd rice beautifully cooked )

Coming away from multi ethnic London and to walk in to a pub where everyone was English was a treat.

I could have sat inside but on a lovely spring day
on 7 May, I sat at one of the tables outside facing the road.

I wondered how many of those brave pilots of Royal Flying Corps stationed at Stow Maries in WW1 might have had their last cheery mea/drink in this old pub ?

The publican was human and most welcoming . I cycled away with a singing heart -eventually found the old RFC Aerodrome and am determined to bring my wife by car and stay.at the Prince of Wales at Stow Maries . How can I be sure it will be nice ? I can`t ; but my hunch is that it will be ..

Room Tip: If you have the right attitude, and enjoy the history of this part of England - Vikings at Maldon, r...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank servabofidem35
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

.......... about perfection? At last I have been able to fulfill an ambition, ever since Rob & Lynn provided accommodation at the BEST pub in Essex. As we were attending a function at the nearby 3 Rivers Country Club, this was the perfect opportunity for us to "make Saturday special". Arriving at around 2pm, following a liquid lunch of proper real ale for me (thanks Amanda!) and a lovely ciabbata for the Mem Sahib (thanks Michele!) and enhanced by some banter with the discerning members of Ipswich Rugby Football Club who had nothing but praise for the beer and the food, we trotted over to our room in the "Stableyard". Just the right touches here and lovely comfy bed, well appointed bathroom and the most extensive "to do list" in the Guest Information Folder that I have ever seen! This proves just how much attention to detail Rob and Lynn put into their pride and joy. After a great event at 3 Rivers we returned for a peaceful night and a marvellous full English breakfast in the morning. Rob and Lynn, you know what a gem you have!! To everyone else, I just want to say that it's not just because I am a regular visitor to the Prince that I write this, if it was rubbish I'd tell you and my weekends would never be the same !!! LOL !!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

The four newly established bedrooms look superb. Beautiful modern bathrooms and bright bedrooms. However, two people would have problems staying in one of the three standard rooms for more than one night; the bedroom has a standard double bed and a small hanging rail for clothes - so you have to live out of your suitcase and the problem is there's not much room for it. The larger and more expensive superior room has a proper wardrobe and storage - we were staying two nights and so upgraded. Breakfast is a standard full English or variant with fruit juice, tea/coffee - but cereals or marmalade weren't on offer. The owners and all the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Pub serves real ales and standard pub fare.

Room Tip: Couples staying more than one night need the superior room, or best look elsewhere.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Battlesbridge
Frasers Guest House
Frasers Guest House
#1 of 2 in Battlesbridge

Been to Prince of Wales? Share your experiences!