“Team 'Orange Peril Schladming 2012'”
Review of Hotel Rossl

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Schladming
Hotel Rossl
Ranked #54 of 72 Schladming B&B and Inns
Crieff
“Team 'Orange Peril Schladming 2012'”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Just back, sore and tired from wiping out, laughing, late nights but what a trip! Lets be frank - the Rossl isn't a hotel as such, no facilities, no front of house, no bar or restaurant. Don't have any expectations other than to get clean, adequately comfy bathroom and bed. Can't fault the housekeeping and for what we wanted, it fitted the bill perfectly. Think of it as an overflow for the The Neue Post (a few steps away) very welcoming full service hotel where you get your breakfast and dinner - no complaints about food or service - thanks Wolfgang :) There IS a late night drinking establishment in the basement of the Rossl and, if you're a light sleeper or not knackered after a day on the slopes then you might struggle with the shut eye.
We took the 'if you can't beat em join em' philosophy and ventured underground a couple of times...good door / bad door! The incredible church bells (and they really have to be heard to be believed) are either a rude awakening or a necessary wake up call if you're going to beat the lift queues before 0900. The latter for us. There's clearly been a lot of capital investment in Schladming as a resort, the lifts, lockers and base stations are state of the art and very slick. As for Apres Ski, the fabulous Tenne Bar is the obvious and most conspicuous place for wonderful uninhibited barmy european-ness we stiff brits could learn a lot from but check out the sublime Szenario bar for great music, the lovliest staff and nights to remember (or not, if you're in the bomb squad) I loved my first taste of Austria - safe, clean and utterly charming - and GREAT SNOW!! Thanks Sarah, you were fab too!xx

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank rs032014i

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Last minute booking at a cost so low I thought I might have to sleep in a cable car, turns out the room has comfy beds is really warm and a small shower room with plenty of warm water.

Knew exactly what to expect regards negatives, bells, nightclub and security. Our room was in such a location that we were not disturbed by bells or music, and no issues with security either.

The Hotel Neue Post is exactly as described 50 metres away and couldn't fault the service, food was good, lovely continental breakfast and the evening meals were well above average.

Snow conditions were out of this world, on the last day we had more powder than a persil washing advert. The huttes are superb especially oncle willys for lunch and quellbodenhutte for a hot chocolate with rum. In the evening, try Talbachschenke, food was outstanding and waitress was fantastic (as well as being gorgeous).

Now the financials, spent 318 on flight, accom transfers and half board, 60 on skis, 170 on pass and 300 on lunch and beer (lots and lots of beer) and shots. Same stay in France would have been closer to 1500 im sure.

In summary if you see a cheap ski holiday with Thomson Ski, give it a go as this is their 'worst' hotel and I had a superb time, not just great value for money, great time all round.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank paulowilhelm
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I booked a last minute deal with Crystal ski to the hotel Rossl in Schladming . I read some of the reviews before I went and was concerned - but you don't be put off if you didn't pay full price for it.

OK - So - The hotel does have a nightclub that is open until 5am at least - and we were there NYE - but staying on the second floor, at the front of the hotel where the nightclub entrance was, didn't hinder my snoozing whatsoever. You could sometimes hear the music faintly but that was about it.

The location is brilliant - in the centre of Schladming, and close to the Planai Gondola, and the Rathausplatz for catching ski buses to other mountains / resorts/ Dachstein Glacier.

Hotel
Has a ski/ boot room - not sure how secure but there was a lot of nice stuff left in there (not mine - too old) overnight and I never heard of anyone having an issue with theft.
If you go out at night or come in late, you are asked to lock the front door behind you . I kept my room locked whilst in there in case any wanderers turned up (as in other reviews) but never noticed a security issue.

NB - There is no lift, so expect to carry your stuff up 2 flights of stairs , not a problem if you are capable.

Rooms
Basic, but clean, and a maid came every day and would change towels and make beds (towels if left wet etc) . Beds were comfortable. Rooms are non smoking (the rest of the hotel doesn't appear to be , but not much in Schladming is..)

Even though we were there for NYE, and hotel was full , the meals and breakfast were taken over at the sister hotel 50 yards down the road (NeuPost) . Not a problem, food was fine, usual hearty Austrian cooking, soup, salad and Breakfast was rolls, eggs, hams, cheese - usual European fare . The beer was reasonable if you drink the local stuff (Schladminger) about 3 - 3.50 euros a pint . 1 Litre of wine was 17 euros . Service was very good and the lads serving are very pleasant.

The thing about this hotel which is brilliant is the location - downtown Schladming, spitting distance from pubs, bars, restaurants shops. There are lots of recommended restaurants that we didn't try but Maria's Mexican was one - have a wander and see what takes your fancy - if you do fancy eating out one night.

Generally - Schladming is an excellant resort, with 4 interlinked mountains, heated chairlifts, efficient ski bus and they live and breath alpine sports. I particularly recommend night toboganning on the Hochwurzen - we did a trip independantly from the tour operator, and it as brilliant - first lift 7.30@ pm, last lift 10.00@ pm and it is a long 7km run. 5 Euros for the night bus, 5 euros for the rodel (sledge) and 19euros for unlimited trips up the mountain (via gondola) . The hutte at the bottom has post toboganning apres too ! (if you like cheesy disco and dancing) Last bus is about 1.30 am !

The snowboard park on the Planai is worth checking out too - it's a beginner park but has a good selection of rails etc . Queues for the |Planai in the morning around 9am can be big, but you can get to the Hochwurzen and grab the gondola from there which takes you over to the Planai - less busy. Ski buses for all the mountains are about every 30 mins

We didn't get a chance to go to the Dachstein glacier - but the skywalk and Ice Palace was recommended - there was so much snow (hardly a drawback) constantly, you just wouldn't of been able to see anything from the top - and thats kinda the point so go on a clear day for maximum benefit !

So for all the moaners about the Rossl - just remeber - if you got a cheap deal, thats why - don't expect 4*, but perfectly acceptable accomodation for what we paid !

Room Tip: Get a balcony room if you can. These are all above the nightclub entrance - but that shouldn't...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Victoria B
Leeds
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Returned Saturday 12th March. Area is top notch with excellent on and off-piste, although it was getting very warm towards the end of our week and getting patchy underfoot. The mountain huts are all excellent value, especially compared to France or Italy, and not one of our 17 strong group complained of anything to do with the ski area or facilities.

The hotel however was poor...very poor. Apart from the morning we arrived, it is totally unstaffed. On 2 mornings we discovered scruffy unshaven types kipping on the 1970s sofas on the landing, and using the boot room seemed a bit of a lottery as the back door which leads to the room was open all day and appeared to have no way of being monitored. The rooms were basic, but clean and beds comfy. Not that you get much sleep...!!!! The nightclub below the hotel is popular with the locals and tourists, who seem to have no inhibitions when falling out at all hours, puking in the doorway, smashing glasses and bottles and screaming and fighting in the streets below. Once they've all cooled off, it's only a matter of hours before the loudest bells on the planet, on the church opposite, start their daily rantings at 7am. Not content with 7 bongs, they ramble on for about 20 minutes - so forget any kind of regular sleep. Breakfast and dinner were around the corner in the Neue Post hotel - brekky was excellent, but dinner very hit and miss. Wear a T shirt for dinner cos the restaurant averages temps of about 50 degrees c!! Schladming yes - Hotel Rossl a resounding Nein !!

• Stayed March 2011
11 Thank BrammersLeeds

Travellers are raving about these Schladming hotels

England
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel in January this year. I was travelling with Crystal holidays and it was part of a ski holiday. Before I left, Crystal were pretty upfront regarding the hotel, but unfortunately their summary of the pros and cons were in my opinion, less than accurate. As you can see from my rating I give The Rossl two stars at of a possible five, so what were the two stars for? Firstly, my room was clean and comfortable if rather small (I was travelling alone). Secondly, the food, although served at another hotel round the corner, was for me, a veggie, really quite good. I found it useful to provide the chef with some culinary ideas at the beginning of the week which he tried out on me. Others in my group had no complaints about the food either.

So where were the stars lost? Well the location of the hotel is rahter unfortunate. It's about ten minutes walk from either ski lift, which is not bad but it's right next to two churches with VERY LOUD BELLS. Especially the one that goes off at 7 each morning. Secondly the hotel is above a nightclub. The music is well insulated from the third floor where the accomodation is, but unfortunately the drunks that turn out of the club and shout in the street below are not. Other street sound included a monster snow plough at 5.30 and a delivery at a store nearby at about the same time.

The Rossl is not very cosy. On the first floor is a reception, never manned during my stay and a bar similarly deserted. There was a half drunk bottle of orange on the bar on Saturday night and there it stayed until Friday when it was tidied away. It was dark and unwelcoming. On the second floor was a dark landing with a four piece suit, two leather armchairs and sofas. The bedrooms lead off this landing.

But the really worrying problem during my visit was security. How surprised I was one morning during the week to find a body stretched out on one of the sofas. The body, male, unshaven and snoring peacefully had obviously either lost his key whilst out on the town or was someone who had wandered in off the street drunk and probably could not believe his good fortune when a large leather sofa swum into view. So there he was. As you can imagine he was the talk of the table at breakfast. Luckily our 'rep' arrived mid discussion and upon hearing about the affair promptly informed the hotel manager who sent some poor young waiter to deal with the problem. I can already hear you ask how the dosser managed to evade hotel security in the dead of night. We asked the same question, already knowing the answer....there is no security.

At no time during my stay had the front door been locked, and neither had the boot room, leaving hundreds of pounds worth of equipment free to anyone who so wanted it. We were told later that it was locked at nine each evening. Not true! She then informed us that it was actually our responsibility to make sure the door was locked at all times. I pointed out that this instruction had never been given and would be particularly difficult to achieve with her original request that we leave keys at reception when we went out. (This I realised was so that anyone wandering in from the street would not have to suffer the inconvenience of sleeping on a sofa but could actually find a bed to sleep in together with a change of clothes and some cash. The rumours of a first class Austrian social service system based on the famous 'Care In The Community' one we have in good old GB I realise now are true.) I am looking forward to my next stay at a Crystal hotel when hopefully Imay get a chance to to do the cooking and cleaning as well as try my hand at security.

Hopefully, Crystal will have addressed these problems by the time the next guests arrive and I Ieave it to you to decide if this is the right hotel for you. I won't be going back.

• Stayed January 2011
Chepstow
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I booked this hotel for several reasons- it appeared good value for money, it was in the town centre for nightlife for the teens and because the skiing was supposed to be excellent. On all counts the hotel and skiing completely lived up to this.
The hotel is a bit tired and basic but basically clean and functional. Service was pleasant and helpful at all times. There is a boot and ski room or you can store equipment at the Planai lift station. We actually stored ours at the Trischer hire shop.
The beds are all double/king with two single mattresses and separate duvets etc. and the rooms a reasonable size.
There is small bar by the dining area.
The food was good and there were 2 choices at dinner time which you choose the day before. Breakfast was buffet style with cereals, bread, eggs, cheese and ham, juice, coffee,tea and milk.
Dinner menus were odd but totally edible. Salad bar to start with followed by soup and then either pork, chicken, fish and venison with potatoes , rice and vegetables. Dessert to follow. Very little food was left or wasted.
The worst thing about this hotel was the central location as it was very noisy especially on the friday night. The noise continued through the night to early am. We all slept fine as we were so tired from skiing but some people were affected by the noise. I was woken several times during the night but managed to get back to sleep again.
The best bit about the holiday was the skiing. Plenty of red runs on Planai and then more intermediate slopes on Hochwurzen. We got the free bus to Rohrmoos to get to blue slopes.
Loads of chair lifts, gondolas etc. Basically any level can ski here and enjoy it although you would have to split up as we did on occasions to make the most of it.
This is excellent skiing territory.
We all had a great time and would definitely go back although maybe to a hotel a little further out of town.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family