“"A good Faulty Towers" !”
Review of Kirchenwirt Hotel

Kirchenwirt Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Schladming
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Very pleasant family run hotel in central Schladming. Quirky , and somewhat old fashioned , but not in any way unpleasant . A very entertaining headwaiter - a real character. Good food. Nice cosy bar/restaurant. Homely rooms and atmosphere. Can be noisy outside in the square (Sat night only) so if you are a light sleeper,request a room at the rear ! Would have no reservation in returning and I noticed they do a lot of repeat business. Stayed there for a ski trip on 13th Jan 2014. Only 6/7 minutes walk to main gondola and ski storage -very handy !.

Room Tip: Light sleepers - get a room at the rear !!!!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Colin p G

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed new year ski holiday 2013/14.
The hotel is in the town centre and was about 8 minutes walk to the planai gondola and great position for a wander around town.
Our room was plenty big enough for two with en suite, and plenty hot water.
The hotel has two restaurants with the kitchen right in the middle and the food was excellent, plenty of choice with good home cooked Austrian fayre. We were on a half board basis but the staff were very flexible with my daughter and we were allowed to go off piste and ate a few different dishes from their main menu and they adapted to our needs and choices even making me a meal I fancied on the mountain for me one evening. Every day the smell of home cooking filled the place, fantastic. It looked to me all the locals ate here as well which tells a story as far as I'm concerned.
My thanks to Albert the Manager, Christina on reception and Vladimeer who served us most mornings and evenings, as nothing was too much trouble.
The hotel oozes old Austrian charm and it's steeped in history with it being in the same family for such as long time since before the war I think and it's kept its traditional roots.
Well done all.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank David S
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We booked with Crystal and stayed here in March 2013 for a ski holiday - three women sharing a room on the 3rd floor. This hotel could not have been better for us. It was really good value. It was clean, comfortable, quiet and in a great central location. I liked that it was a family run hotel with character and an authentic Austrian feel - and with wonderful Schladminger beer on draught. The staff were marvellous - helpful, friendly, interesting people. I had my birthday while we were there. The hotel surprised me with a truely delicious cake and then Albert (of the Familie Tritscher) opened a few bottles and somehow created a inpromptu birthday party for me of all the other guests who were still in the restaurent, which was a blast! This hotel makes you feel really welcome. It somehow manages to completely look after everyone as individuals without over doing it. We had a magnificent holiday. I absolutely recommend the Kirchenwirt Hotel and skiing in Schladming. Oh, and we skied on the last day after checking out and the hotel allowed us to use their last newly cleaned vacant room to shower before our departure. You can't ask for more!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MartinShotford
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We've stayed at several hotels in Schladming, including the supposed "best" one the Royer. However, Id say that if you're looking for a hotel that is clean, friendly and central; this is your best bet. We will certainly stay here again.
It is old fashioned and could do with redecorating and, yes it is in the centre of town, so it can be a bit noisy, but the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and it's only about 4 minutes stroll to Planai gondoler.
The food is OK but a bit limited and there isn't a proper bar: just some Formica stands at the end of the restaurant but it's nice and warm and gives good service. My only criticism is pork for pretty much every meal!
My advice would be invest in a ski locker so you don't have to walk back in your boots.

Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank lottiesmums
Reviewed 25 February 2013

A good location close to centre and ski bus stop if the walk to the lifts is too much. Old fashioned hotel, but very clean, good food, and very friendly and helpful staff. We had room at back on 3rd floor, very quiet, church bells start at 7am but this is good alarm call for keen skiers. Ski room a little crowded if a few people are leaving at same time, but not a major problem.

Room Tip: Book room at back of hotel
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank John P
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed here in January having booked through Crystal and were the only skiers going to Schladming so we got a private taxi,GOOD, it's windscreen wipers did not work and the road was dirty,BAD. We were given a room with a four poster bed on the third floor which was nice and quiet until the church bells at 7 every morning. The hotel has no lift which could be an issue for some.
The Cafe bar which is open to all is charming and Ideal for a quiet couple of apres ski and pre-Dinner drinks. The food was fine and you did not have to choose at breakfast what you were having for dinner as in most places. The location was good , a pleasant 10 minute walk through the town (we left our ski gear in a locker at the gondola station), and away from noisy night spots. Staff were very pleasant and indulged our 6 year old granddaughter which made for a very enjoyable week.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank redlion29
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We travelled with Crystal to this hotel. Very clean, great food (6 course Christmas Eve Gala Dinner - Brilliant). We helped the family celebrate Christmas, everyone staying at the hotel was invited to gather round the tree to have some christmas fun. All the guests received a Christmas present. The owners and staff treat you like a friend and nothing is a problem for them. You are made to feel very welcome. The rooms are well equiped. We stayed on the third floor with a four poster bed and a single bed in the room, plenty of space. Our other son stayed in the single room on the second floor. I would definetely return to this hotel in the future. The skiing in Schadming is wonderful and well linked. I think this resort must be one of Austia's well kept secrets. The lifts were just a short bus journey or if you feel like walking just a 10 minute stroll.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family