“Great family run hotel”
Review of Hotel Stadttor

Hotel Stadttor
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Schladming
Hotel Stadttor
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Schladming
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We, and another couple, have just returned from a weeks skiing in Schladming and had an excellent experience, staying in the Stadttor. The rooms are spacious, clean and well appointed.
The only slight criticism, was the lack of a kettle, but we were provided with a flask of boiling water when required.
The staff were friendly, and very helpful with local knowledge.
The breakfast was extensive, and of good quality. And the evening meal (5 courses, with a choice of 3 main courses every night!) varied and very satisfactory.
There is a ski room with heated boot racks, and a large wellness suite with a sauna and solarium.
The position of the hotel is right in the town, with a 10 minute walk ( on the flat ), to the bottom of the main Planai lift.
Overall, a great hotel, which I would not hesitate to return to.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Stuart C

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Great food, I am a vegan and they desrve a medal for their efforts. Everyone in our party enjoyed all the different choices offered , certainly noshortage of food. Great rooms , plenty of space and very comfortable. Location is close enough to Planai gondola , leaving skis and boots in the lockers on the ground floor of the building every night meant we could go straight into apres ski mode immediately we'd deposited our gear in the double lockers, with heated boot storage. Also a great idea was that your ski pass opened and locked these lockers, so no fiddly key to keep safe.Schladming is a great ski area, varied enough and big enough to keep us happy for 6 days skiing.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Fii59
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have stayed here twice with family and friends. Great location, right in the middle of town.

Wonderful service and staff including Carl are pretty fantastic.

Good boot room with plenty of space and the bar stays open quite late.

Nice living room area downstairs and taxis are easy to find.

Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Thomas F
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Stadttor has been our base for summer walking holidays in the Schladming area for a number of years. It is a very welcoming, family run hotel just a couple of streets from the main town square. Rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean. The buffet breakfast (and the evening meal if staying on a half board basis) are varied, substantial and excellently prepared and presented. If you need 5 star opulence then you'll have to go somewhere else; but if you want good value, clean comfortable accommodation with very good food and friendly, personal service, you'll be hard pressed to find better

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BobSlee
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Stayed in January 2010 could not fault anything with hotel. Food great, staff helpful, amenities good. Made use of all facilities, it's only 5-6 mins walk to main plania lifts. Spar shop just round corner for provisions. Lucky to be there for night race atmosphere fantastic but standing on snow for 4 hrs on normal shoes not recommended!! Would be first hotel to look up on a return to Schlalming.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank paulnewy
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Stadttor. The room was really spacious with a good sitting area and had a good view of the church and the valley. Staff were attentive and food very good; they do try to give you a flavour of Austria, so be prepared for dumplings! They seemed to cater particularly well for children. The position in town was very convenient and the walk to the lift station was manageable - if you don't like walking with skis there are lockers at the lift station for 1 Euro per day.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AnneLang
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Me and my partner travelled here in March 2008 and I booked the holiday through Crystal. This was my fourth visit to Austria in the ski season and I usually go for no less than 4* hotels as I like a touch of quality. Unfortunately this was the tattiest hotel I have stayed in in Austria. The rooms needed redecorating badly and I had to request another mattress as my butt touched the floor when I lay on the bed. The owner was really good, she said that she had a family in with children under 10, so she would swap mine for theirs (poor kid). We also decided to have a welcome drink from the minibar in the room, opened a mini bottle of jack daniels, said cheers and began to drink it, until I realised it had been watered down, obviously not the owners fault it must have been the previous guests that couldn't afford the 3 euros!. We did laugh after me moaning for about an hour to my partner. The food was actually quite nice but on one occasion I had a blue elastic band in my creamy soup, only found it after eating four mouthfuls. The waiter came over and said "oh can I get you another" I said "no thanks, not unless you have a pink elastic band!"

The hotel is a trek to the ski lift and hence we called it the "walk of pain" you know what it is like carrying skis and walking in ski boots, it seemed about a mile but it was more like a quarter of a mile.

All in all, the skiing was great in Schladming even though it snowed everday and I didn't see a blue sky all week, the hotel was OK but not worth the money we paid, it is a 4* (silver awarded) property according to Thomson and Crystal. Please expect 2* unless it has been totally refurbished or you may be disappointed with the money you have spent...

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple