“Friendly, relaxed and good value”
Review of Hotel Stadttor

Hotel Stadttor
Hotel Stadttor
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Schladming
Carnforth
“Friendly, relaxed and good value”
Reviewed 21 March 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Stadttor. The room was really spacious with a good sitting area and had a good view of the church and the valley. Staff were attentive and food very good; they do try to give you a flavour of Austria, so be prepared for dumplings! They seemed to cater particularly well for children. The position in town was very convenient and the walk to the lift station was manageable - if you don't like walking with skis there are lockers at the lift station for 1 Euro per day.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnneLang

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nuneaton
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Me and my partner travelled here in March 2008 and I booked the holiday through Crystal. This was my fourth visit to Austria in the ski season and I usually go for no less than 4* hotels as I like a touch of quality. Unfortunately this was the tattiest hotel I have stayed in in Austria. The rooms needed redecorating badly and I had to request another mattress as my butt touched the floor when I lay on the bed. The owner was really good, she said that she had a family in with children under 10, so she would swap mine for theirs (poor kid). We also decided to have a welcome drink from the minibar in the room, opened a mini bottle of jack daniels, said cheers and began to drink it, until I realised it had been watered down, obviously not the owners fault it must have been the previous guests that couldn't afford the 3 euros!. We did laugh after me moaning for about an hour to my partner. The food was actually quite nice but on one occasion I had a blue elastic band in my creamy soup, only found it after eating four mouthfuls. The waiter came over and said "oh can I get you another" I said "no thanks, not unless you have a pink elastic band!"

The hotel is a trek to the ski lift and hence we called it the "walk of pain" you know what it is like carrying skis and walking in ski boots, it seemed about a mile but it was more like a quarter of a mile.

All in all, the skiing was great in Schladming even though it snowed everday and I didn't see a blue sky all week, the hotel was OK but not worth the money we paid, it is a 4* (silver awarded) property according to Thomson and Crystal. Please expect 2* unless it has been totally refurbished or you may be disappointed with the money you have spent...

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank strikeapose22
Chichester
Reviewed 4 February 2010

This was the second time we stayed at the the Hotel Stadttor. As expected great service, excellent food and a spotless hotel.
My son and I decided to visit at the end of January as we wanted to experience the night race in Schladming. This event changes the whole villiage from a quiet sleepy villiage to a bustling, party atmosphere throughout the whole villiage. An experience that I am keen to repeat next year.
The hotel as I have mentioned before is well placed, if you book ski lessons through Tritcher ski school then they provide a ski bus to take you to the ski school on Rhormoos which only takes 5 minutes. Saves on walking to the bus station which can be quite busy at certain times.
My only criticism of the hotel is that I personally would like to see bigger tv's in the rooms and a larger screen in the lounge area. The current ones are quite small and that is probably the reason they are not used. Its not that I want it on all the time but with all the sports etc that is available it would be nice to watch it in the hotel as oppossed to finding a smokey bar. It may also increase bar takings,
but saying all that I will be back next year.

• Stayed January 2010
1 Thank Eclipse10
Blackpool
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I've just returned from a skiing holiday in Schladming, staying at the Hotel Stadttor. This was my first skiing holiday and I am now hooked!! I cannot fault the hotel, the rooms, service or food served. Although it is rated as a 4* hotel, I would rate it as a very good 3* hotel by British standards. Don't let this put you off though. I would definitely return to Schladming and the Hotel Stradttor. Definitely an excellent place for beginer and more experienced skiers.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank BA-Lancashire
england
Reviewed 13 April 2009

just stayed here for a weeks skiing, resort was fantastic as ever,wirh great snow. the hotel was spacious and in a good location apart from the church bells every morning,but they got me up for the skiing so not too bad. The hotel was not too bad, nice and clean and roomy. We did not like the smoke however and the smell wafting around the bar was horrid. The staff were ok,but all smoked and this really stopped us having much to do with them. We are obviously non smoking and know that Austrians do smoke heavily but it did really put us off. Food was good but not enough selection for us we are used to about 3 main course options and a veggie one. I love this resort and have been to Austria about 15 times skiing but this was still very smoky and will mean i will not return to this hotel. If you smoke its fine. I will come back to schladming but will look for another hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank archiebald
Manchester, UK
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Myself and my partner travelled with a mixed group of friends to Schladming in Austria and stayed at the Hotel Stadttor.

The hotel itself is not flashy, it is a definate family run property which has a really comfortable homely feel. If you are looking for marble floors and contemporary design, you won't find that here.

What you will find is an extremely friendly couple who cannot do enough for you. the staff are attentive and interested in you and your party. The bar staff could bring us our drinks without asking what we would like and we were all known by name.

The food was really good. It was continental breakfast style in the morning and then a 5 course meal in the evening, which was never the same twice and you always got a choice between three different main meals.

Rooms were always clean and tidy and the hot water was almost boiling and on tap when you trudged back in after a day snowboarding.

We cannot complain about this hotel and would gladly return. When we left, the lady who runs the hotel got up to serve us breakfast even though we left prior to the designated breakfast hours, which was a really lovely touch.

We would all recommend staying here without hesitation and intend on returning soon.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank sunnie84
ireland
Reviewed 30 April 2006

Our family stayed at the Hotel Stadttor over the Ney Year period. This was our second visit to this hotel. We had an absolutely fantastic time. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the food is of a very high standard. The hosts, Karl and Michaela, make every effort to ensure that their guests have an enjoyable stay. The rooms are relatively large and the beds comfortable. The Gala dinner on New Years Eve was magnificent. It commenced with a champagne reception and concluded with a fireworks display in the garden. It was a truly memorable way to bring in the new year.
Schladming is a beautiful little town with great skiing to be had. The scenery in the mountains is spectacular and the runs through the trees are brilliant.
We have skied in Andorra(Arinsal), France (Valloire, Alpe d'Huez, Val Thorens), and Switzerland(Zermatt) as a family but our favourite is Schladming. We are already planning to return next year and will stay in the Stadttor.

• Stayed January 2006