“Didn't honor reservation”
Review of Hotel Colonna

Hotel Colonna
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Frascati
Reviewed 25 June 2008

I booked a suite at this hotel by contacting the hotel by e-mail. After several e-mails to confirm the configuration of the room and determine that the room would be suitable for our family with two small children, I followed up with a phone call and a final e-mail. Last, I sent a fax with my credit card information. This was done months in advance. When we arrived at the hotel (from the US), we were shown a very small triple room. I said that we had reserved the suite, but the person on duty said that the suite was not available during the times we had reserved it, and we were told that we "could have" the small triple room for the same price. We had to move to a hotel with a room large enough for our family at a considerable additional cost (more than 60 Euros/night difference for four nights). I had the confirmation from the hotel with me, and though I showed it to the manager, I was told that they were sorry and could do nothing. I don't know how to avoid this problem, and in many years of traveling in Europe, I've never had this problem. It was a very bad beginning to our vacation. I would not take a chance at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
6  Thank cynthcore

Reviewed 16 May 2008

The Colonna is situated in a little piazza in the centre of the gorgeous little town of Frascati. It's about 15 minutes from Ciampino Airport by cab and about 30 minutes from central Rome by train.

It's a small, family-run hotel and the pride of the owner is reflected in the cleanliness and service at the hotel.

The foyer is small and impressive and the welcome and check in were quick and efficient.

The room was magnificent for a small hotel - very clean with a settee, huge bed and spotlessley clean bathroom.

The only small criticism was the small TV with poor reception but, if you stay in this town there's no reason to watch TV in a hotel.

We stayed for 4 days and throughout the roomwas cleaned perfectly and staff were friendly.

The main receptionist, Peter was outstandingly friendly and helpful - a credit to any hotel.

Within minutes of the hotel are many lovely restaurants, cafes and bars. There's no shortage of things to do in the town.

If you want a trip to Rome and don't fancy the hectic, crowded, noisy city then Frascati's ideal - the train ststion is a few minutes walk from the Colonna and it's only half an hour into Rome city centre. Ideal for sightseeing then returning to the hills of Frascati.

All in all a great town and fabulous little hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank tarka00
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Stayed at the Colonna for 3 nights over a weekend. Found it an altogether satisfactory hotel choice in a wonderful location convenient to Rome.

We were looking for somewhere near Rome, without the noise and big city hassle the latter tends to entail, and chose Frascati. It is 25 mins away from Roma Termini by train; Ciampino airport (not Fiumicino) is much closer. The train service is about hourly, two hourly on Sundays.

Frascati turned out to be much more than we had expected, a charming hillside town in its own right and good for a wander around. Excellent convenience to Rome and, as an upscale suburb, we didn´t have the same concern about safeguarding our possessions as we have in Rome´s streets. And of course there is the wonderful Frascati wine in plentiful supply.

The Colonna is located in the centre of town near the pictured church, just off the main piazza. Though only about 300m from the station it was a bit of an uphill hike to the piazza, with lots of stairs.

However once we got there we found the hotel quite satisfactory - comfortable and quiet room, friendly and good service, and good location with plenty of osteria close by and shops for browsing.

Room was a standard one, not large but quite good for a 3 star European Hotel Room, equivalent to alleged 4 star hotels we´ve stayed in elsewhere in Italy. Room was on the first floor over a lane which had a lot of people wandering along and sometimes making racket (Half of Rome appears to descend on Frascati on weekends). However the combination of shutters and good windows kept the noise level very low inside. We thought the afternoon and evening crowds aded to the atmosphere of the place.

Breakfast was in the basement and a typical continental breakfast. The made to order cappucini were well received by us.

Bathroom had new facilities in good condition although the ´bath´ was exceedingly small and suited only as a shower, and the lack of an adequate shower screen meant that you tended to develop a lake on the bathroom floor.

However this is trivia. We paid €130 per night room and breakfast and overall we considered it good value; we considerably doubt we could get anything like as good the same price in Rome. Don´t know if other hotels may have been better but Frascati was great and well worth sampling.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PineappleSkip
Reviewed 4 April 2008

I would like to say that having stayed in the this hotel in the end of January, I would without hesitation recommend it to anyone. I am writing this review as a guest and although I am in the hospitality industry in Canada, i felt the need to explain my experience. I made my reservation online and although I could've tried to get a discount due to the nature of my job, I wanted to keep the reason for my travels confidential, to ensure I would have the same experience as any client would. Not only is this hotel the kind of hotel that is priced wonderfully, it will definitely satisfy the needs of people of all tastes, you will appreciate the tastefully decorated atmosphere and the superb setting in the main Piazza "Gesu". Walk out of the door, and you are smack right in the centre of this wonderful Town. The great staff, Gianfranco, and one of the owners the wonderful Mr. Guido (whom really left such a wonderful impression on us) made this a very hospitable stay. Always caring so much about suggesting to their guests many wonderful restaurants to eat at, at and offering to make reservations! I cannot express enough that anyone choosing this hotel will be left with a wonderful feeling of having experienced the true ambiance of a Roman Hill town amidst the friendly local people. The town is so nice. The local people vacation here in the summer. It is an ideal alternative to the hussle bussle of Rome. And its only 10kms away from Rome! Its a breath of fresh air to stay in this area and do day trips into the city! The train that takes you to Termini Station was so close to the hotel. Although rated a 3 star, I would definitely rate it a 4. If your looking to experience a true local Italian experience stay at the Colonna and enjoy this ambiance of this wonderful little town! You will be glad you did!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank mytripdesigner
Reviewed 4 April 2008

Though we in the end were not able to visit this hotel due to the excellent emailservice Peter Paul gave us I would like to compliment them by a short review.
This hotel must be one of the friendliest I have ever contacted. they were so kind in answering all our questions per email on really short notice and gave us a good deal on a suite which I must say looked so great on the pictures. We wanted to go there because of the great reviews on tripadvisor, though due to some familythings we were at the end not able to go so had to cancel. However my greatest compliments at the wonderfull service to Peter Paul of the Colonna Hotel.
we would definetely want to go here next year. Frascati is a wonderful place and you can enjoy a luxury hotel in beautiful Italian surroundings for a reasonable price instead of in Rome itself.

Best regards, Melissa

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank mykingma
Reviewed 2 November 2007

Simple but subtly upscale hotel in the historic center of affluent Frascati, just south of Rome. Great shopping and wonderful restaurants within easy walking distance. Free valet parking, solid service, nice rooms for a reasonable price, good continental breakfast. We booked here as a last-night stop before catching a flight out of Fiumicino back to the States, and the Colonna worked out very well. The drive to the airport (although it was on a Saturday morning) was a snap and took only 45 minutes. Count on some extra time, however, if you're traveling the same route on a weekday and have to contend with commuters into Rome.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Jim314
Reviewed 1 September 2007

This was a great stopover for an early flight from Ciampino the next am. Right in the heart of the small suburb of Rome, very friendly and helpful staff, spotlessly clean, restaurants just around the corner. Rooms comfortable breakfast fresh and everything you expect in Italy. 20 mins from airport just be sure to have clear directions.

Stayed: August 2007