“High class hotel high above Rome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Villa Tuscolana

Grand Hotel Villa Tuscolana
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Frascati
UK
“High class hotel high above Rome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed at this 4 star hotel for a night in September largely because of the value for money (€85 on-line booking) compared to other nearby B&B/hotels and the fact that they provided a free shuttle from the Frascati train station and that the hotel was away from hectic Rome. The hotel sits on the side of Colli Albani volcano.
The shuttle brings you up the winding road to a majestic wonderful piece of architecture high above Frascati and overlooking Rome. The grand doorway brings you into a beautiful interior that is wonderfully original with painted walls, natural stone doorways, marble and granite floors and a classy dining room. Rooms are cool and airy with firm beds, excellent showers and a frigo bar. High ceilings and large windows are shuttered but can be opened wide to let the welcome cool air fill the room. WiFi is everywhere except it is weak in the garden. Before dinner take time to walk in the grounds and gardens. I would recommend eating in the dining room with waiter service of tasty crusty breads, chilled Frascati, abundant home made mushroom pasta (primo), grilled fish with a pepper and prawn topping (secondi) and vegetables, and fresh fruit all for €25. Breakfast is included in the room price and is very full with pastries, coffee, juices, breads, meats, cheeses, yoghurts, fruit etc - sets you up for the day. At check-out I was pleasantly surprised that what I had consumed from the frigo bar was ignored even when I mentioned it......and the shuttle took me back to the station to return to hectic Rome.

Room Tip: Frascati train - Be aware that when you get to Termini central station Rome there appears to be no p...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Roxsrgreat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reigate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

20th July 2013. The biggest day of my life! 18 months ago, and on several occasions since, Victoria and I scoured this part of central Italy looking for a wedding venue. We had a list of around 40 possibles to visit, and Villa Tuscolana wasn't one of them. On our way to visit the first place, on our first trip, we saw it's signs and chucked an unexpected right. Stunning does not come close! The building is amazing, genuine, original, authentic Italian chic! the views, 10 times better! Rome is laid out before you in the far distance, with the sea behind. Villa Tuscolana is high in the Alban Hills and therefore several degrees cooler than Rome itself. Wearing suits, that really makes a difference! We continued on over the months and visited all the places we'd shortlisted. Nothing matched Villa Tuscolana. We stayed and visited Villa Tuscolana six different times before actually booking our wedding so we could be absolutely sure the superb service we got wasn't a one off. When we did book, we block booked all the suites, all the premier rooms, all the rooms with excellent views and all of the function rooms. We asked for a formal black tie party on the 19th, then the main wedding. At every turn and on every occasion we were so impressed with the service/food/venue/flowers/drinks and absolute attention to detail that we could not recommend this place highly enough! All of this was made a reality by Francesco, the Hotels wedding manager. Efficient, friendly, honest and one of the nicest characters you will meet. We were graced with the company of many friends and family who had nothing but praise. We had arranged a few 'frills' and the fireworks were probably the biggest hit with our guests. Francesco, I hope you get to read this. Thanks you for helping make the most important day of my life, the best day too! We will stay in contact and will be revisiting!

Room Tip: Suite 401 is the only one to face Rome, Suite 220 is better and views the hills! Hire a sports c...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kevin y
andreacarboni77, Responsabile reception at Grand Hotel Villa Tuscolana, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Kevin and Victoria,
I was very happy for your beautiful review.We were all delighted to have welcomed you at Villa Tuscolana and having participated in your joy, with your relatives and your friends. A joy that will remain forever in our hearts with the memory of unforgettable days spent with all of you. Thank you for the trust you have given us more than a year ago when you choose our Venue to celebrate your Wedding .... The most important day of your life!
Thank you once again for your elegance ... We all hope to have you in the future at Villa Tuscolana to embrace you again !!! See you soon and good luck!!!
Francesco Torrente – Wedding Manager - Grand Hotel Villa Tuscolana
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

We had 2 nights at the hotel, staying in a junior suite. Having read some of the other reviews before we arrived, we were unsure what to expect, but our impressions of the room were very positive. We found the staff to be polite and helpful. The room did have air conditioning and was spacious and fairly well appointed. The restaurant menu seemed a bit limited but the food was well prepared and the service gave no grounds for complaint. The hotel was not particularly busy, but I suspect that reflects the fact that Frascati is a little off the tourist trail, and the main business of the hotel seems to events such as weddings.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

This is a historic hotel with a beautiful view of Rome in the distance. Unfortunately, we had an interior room & looked at a wall. The lights are dim & yellow. The bed was thin & like a rock. Breakfast was no fun at all & was charged a flat 10 Euros when I only had a coffee (which I served myself) and a yogurt. The staff was not friendly. We liked Frascati but will stay in town next time.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen C
Darmstadt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

After my last scathing review of this place, I was very displeased to again find myself outside the hotel, with every other hotel in the area booked solid. The last time I stayed here, it was without a doubt one of the worst rooms I had slept in, looking like it had come straight out of the 1970's (and not been cleaned much since).

This time around, I had a room on the third floor. First impressions - simple, but clean, tidy and actually very good value. The bathroom was clean, the room had air conditioning (not needed), a mini bar and a TV. The free wifi was pretty solid too - I got enough connection speed to hold a skype session.

The breakfast was good, and the evening mean I ate in the hotel was very tasty. Everyone seemed very friendly.

So then we come to the problem with this place. When I stayed there, it had a total of 10 occupants. I only ever saw one other guest in my three day stay. Remember that I was forced to this hotel by the fact that EVERY SINGLE OTHER HOTEL in Frascati was full. Something is seriously wrong if this hotel can't muster more than 10% occupancy with those sort of odds.

If you stay here and get the same kind of room as I had this time, you will find an excellent value hotel in a picturesque (if not entirely handy) location. Bring a hire car and you'll be fine. However, if you get the kind of room I had previously (which is the same rate and description), expect to have a very bad stay.

If you could guarantee a good room (try the doubles or suites) then I recommend this place. If you just book a single, I hope you're feeling lucky.

Room Tip: Go for a double or suite on the front side of the hotel - don't book the single rooms, even if y...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

I did not stay at Villa Tuscolana (much to my dismay) but I did make use of the Spa twice. You have to try it. It's not expensive - entrance to the sauna & hamman is 30 Euros on weekdays and 40 Euros on weekends.

It is in one word - FANTASTIC. The staff are fabulous. courteous, caring - I was floored. The services were great. On the first day I did the hot stones massage. Sooooooooooo good.

And then I followed it up with 2,5 hours in the Finnish sauna, hydromassage pool and then Turkish bath.

I will do it again.

It's easy to do this as a day trip from Rome. You must book before hand though. It was not crowded but I'm not sure if it was just the time/season.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

Fantastic building! Beautiful location, nice rooms and Interior. But the spa first open at 12.00. A bit late. The breakfast cost 10€ and then you can put 6€ at top of that for a eggs and bacon! It's not worth the price. The bar selection is not impressive.

But the view from the hotel and the interior makes this a hotel worth visiting.

And remember that the hotel offer a shuttle service to Frascati down town.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Frascati and Rome obviously.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frascati
Villa Mercede
#1 of 6 in Castel Gandolfo
Hotel Flora
Hotel Flora
#8 of 14 in Frascati

Been to Grand Hotel Villa Tuscolana? Share your experiences!