“Only Hotel in Old Town”

Hotel zur gold'nen Krone
Hotel zur gold'nen Krone
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Amberg
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My daughter and I loved this hotel. It was more like an old towne Inn with comfortable rooms and a pub downstairs. The owner is on site and has put alot of hard work into restoring this gem. Breakfast was included in our rate. If you wanted bacon or eggs freshly cooked Ray was willing to head to the kitchen to do that too. Stayed 3 nights and wish we had longer. Thanks for a good place to land!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Marylee A

Reviewed 6 January 2013

Location behind the main church in town is ideal to walk and explore the city. Ray and Katherine are terrific hosts. Breakfast with the room. Free parking in the rear courtyard area. Irish pub downstairs. Built in 1590, but has been renovated for the hotel rooms. English is spoken, if needed.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jake J
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We spent 6 nights in the Golden Krone. We ate there 4 out of six (they do not serve food on Sunday). The food was fantastic. The waitresses all speak English and were able to help us understand new foods we couldn't look up. Breakfast was LOVELY in the morning. They have a room that's perfectly set up and comfortable. We were up and leaving by 6 am so we were the first ones down, not sure if it gets busy later on but we were very pleased with breakfast.

Our room was AMAZING! We had a fridge, a huge cabinet/dresser and two small dressers. A large jacuzzi, a nice shower, etc. It was very clean. The hotel just recently became a non-smoking hotel so the smell was lingering just a *tiny* bit but I suspect by the time you arrive it will be gone. We were on the 2nd floor and the only noise we heard was our neighbor talking (or their TV) for a little bit on one night and it stopped around 9pm. We never heard any noise from the bar. We were on the inside of the building so our window looked directly at the building a few feet away, so no view. I was thankful because the other rooms are above the beergarden and people do smoke out there. We did have a VERY early wakeup on Monday (6am) morning, someone was trying to open our door. That was creepy... they don't have peep holes in the door so no way to check it out without opening the door and we weren't going to do that!

I have two small complaints.

1) There was no door on the bathroom! Just a personal preference but I like privacy... I ended up using the bathroom for the pub on the first floor instead. Again, personal preference but I found it very irritating!

2) Service in the pub wasn't that great. The waitress was friendly but it took her a long time to get us drinks and get our orders. We didn't mind waiting for food but we wanted a beer while we waited! She also overcharged us one night... the person sitting at our table before us had their items on our bill. Good thing we checked... she was very apologetic and refunded us right away.

Overall it's a lovely town and it's a lovely hotel. Try the Chinese food in the area too... it won't disappoint.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank hycaliber
Reviewed 17 March 2010

We went there to eat and were told that it would be "awhile". I only asked if they accepted VISA card. Three times while we were sitting there, they came and asked me to pay the bill. What bill? i asked. I had not eaten. Then, I would tell then in German that we were waiting for our food. The waitresses then said to me, in German, oh no problem. We waited two hours and the food arrived, for my daughter, but they had the wrong order for me. I told them that I did not order fish. ( I have an allergy). Later when I wanted to leave, they wanted my credit card without showing me the bill. I speak German so I said no. The waitresses, in their best English tried to explain to me the bill. I said, no. I speak German so I switched into German and as soon as I did, they said that I had to speak to the boss. I spoke with the supervisor who told me not to talk to staff that way. What way? i asked. Oh, that I asked for the bill in German so demanding like - was her problem. That is how Germans talk when you ask for money without a bill. I was no different. The food sucked! The service sucked. Don't go there.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Irish4566
Reviewed 27 January 2010

This is my second stay at this hotel and I am returning in Feb and March. Ray and Kathi are the very best hosts, the breakfast and breakfast room and fantastic, the quaint atmosphere is the best in town! All the standard amenities are included and when it is cold outside, there is no better place to be!! If you want the flavor of Germany with the warmth of an Irish pub, this should be your choice. You are not just another customer here, you are part of the family.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Everleytravels
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I hope this review does not get scratched and the hotel doesn't get penalzed, because it tells a true story. Honesty is important, and I believe travelers should know the truth. I did not stay at this hotel because they were booked up during my entire 3 months in Amberg. I stayed at a different hotel. But I was at the "krone" for most of the time I was there. The restaurant, Kate's, was bar none the best in town so I spent a lot of my free time there visiting with co-workers and locals. Another poster pointed out Ray, Katherine and Yvonne as excellent people and he was absolutely on the money. I visited co-workers in their rooms at the Krone and was jealous because they were so much cozier and pleasant than mine. Again, though I didn't actually stay at the Krone, I hope this review holds up because it is well deserved. Hopefully Ray and crew can see this, I will be back in a couple months, and guess what? You guys are booked up AGAIN! Just have some stew and Asbach ready for me when I get there, I can't wait!
Tom

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 November 2007

This is THE place to stay in Amberg. The prices are cheap and the amenities are excellent. Ray and Katherine Grassik (owners) are very cordial and will do anything to make your stay a pleasant one. The staff are always attentive to your needs and will go above and beyond to help. Yvonne is an expert behind the bar and can mix a cosmopolitian as easily as she can pour a local beer. Make no mistake, she can cook too. She and her brother Marcus, are both pedigreed cooks who have studied in the culinary arts. Any and all dishes can be made to order. The atmosphere is excellent. There is a fantastic cross section of the world that frequents Kate's. The staff and owners are bi-lingual so no need to worry about communication problems.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)