“great time had by all”

Cuisines: Irish, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014

just back from week in inishowen stayed in lighthouse in shroove weather terrible but eating in rosatos was worth the visit alone there was 21 in our group we ate on sunday and tuesday food was fantastic and staff so cheerful and helpful will be back again

1  Thank Brian1504

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I've eaten in Rosato's several times over the years. With the exception of an unfortunate visit last October when the alledgedly homemade burger resembled something you'd find at a fairground and tasted worse it's always been fairly good, but never great.

Last night it was as busy as always so they're clearly doing something right. We had a short wait at the bar before being shown to a table. It was so busy that a few minutes later we were very politely asked if we would move to a smaller table which I really didn't mind considering how packed it was.

I ordered the Chilli Steak Pitta that was on special and my partner had the Hot & Spicy pizza. Unfortunately I wasn't asked how I'd like my steak cooked and by the time I realised, it was too late. Although everything tasted nice, the beef being overdone for me spoiled it a bit. Some of my garlic potato bites were a bit hard in the middle as well. The pizza was good enough but neither of us could spot the advertised chilli flakes and it certainly wasn't as hot & spicy as expected.

The service was attentive to start with but we sat with empty glasses trying to attract someone's attention for the bill a little too long at the end. The toilets looked clean and were nicely decorated but could have done with a bit more air freshener. Again, all good enough but not great.

As for the price, I've been reliably informed this region boasts some of the best restaurant prices in the country. The problem is what we chose this time was essentially glorified kebab shop food so it needed to be pretty spectacular and it just wasn't. At under €50 for 2 mains, 2 small bottles of wine each and an espresso it was still decent value though. Just not great.

On reflection, I'll be back again. The other reviews and various awards Rosato's has won keep me hoping I've just been a bit unlucky over the years. I've left satisfied but never raving about it or desperate to return. It's never far away, just a few small things always seem to let it down. Hopefully next time it'll live up to it's reputation so I can write a new review and simply title it 'Great'.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Great food, staff and atmosphere. The quality of live music at the weekends is always great as well. Love this place!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Had dinner here with family including two children aged 8 and 6. This is a very busy spot and you can expect to have to wait for a table because they don't take bookings. We went on a Tuesday evening just after 7 and had to wait 40 minutes for a table for the six of us. But it was certainly worth the wait. Lovely staff excellent food and great choices for both children and adults. Everyone in our group was very content with their meal. My husband had the steak on the recommendation of one of the other customers and he was very very happy with his choice. We had a few pizzas, a kids burger and a fresh seafood dish and all was clearly freshly cooked and home made. Would definitely recommend this restaurant and will definitely go again if back in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Ate here this evening. The menu was lovely with lots of choice. The restaurant was very busy even on a Tuesday evening and I can see why. The food was so good, the staff were lovely and the atmosphere was pleasant. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank Brightspark2014