“disappointed!”
Review of Redcastle Hotel

Redcastle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moville
Reviewed 23 August 2014

This was my first and last time to stay in this Hotel, first appearance the room was tired, shabby and not clean, the windows and mirrors where dirty and there was mould in the tea tray. I expected a family room to have two double beds at least but my children were to sleep in a sofa bed with a hollow in the middle. rooms were not sound proof and you could hear music from function room til all hours. staff were friendly and accommodating but hotel is over rated.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank alison m
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy certain aspects of your stay.
I will certainly be passing all of your points on to our management team in the hotel. The details of our family rooms are available on our website and booking forms and it does state that there is a double sofa bed in all family rooms. I note that in the room that you occupied the sofa bed is new and it does not seem to have a defect. I am sorry that you and your family were uncomfortable. We would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you if you could contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com
Redcastle Customer Care Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,980)

Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had a 2 night break away recently. Staff were friendly, food was outstanding in both the bar a restaurant. All was reasonably priced.
The room itself was a let down definitely not what I would call luxury. Pretty bog standard.
Not really a lot to within the town either.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Loggiebear14
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and for your lovely comments. I will certainly ensure that these comments are passed to the team here. I am sorry that you were unhappy with your bedroom and also that you felt there was not a lot to do in the surrounding area. There are a number of activity providers and tourist attractions in the area. There are also many walking trails and natural beauty attractions. We may need to look at updating our hotel literature to promote these attractions and I do hope that on your next visit you get to see the many attractions to visit in the area. I hope you will consider returning to the hotel again soon and please do contact us directly prior to your next visit on feedback@redcastlehotel.com

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Booked a party of 12 for bed, dinner, breakfast and golf and were not disappointed. Comfortable rooms, good food and attentive service. Due to heavy rain the golf course was very wet underfoot and played long, slow greens. Would go back

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ANNENIreland
Your_Customer_Care, Guest Relations Manager at Redcastle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for sending us your comments. We are happy to hear you all enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This is the third time I've been to this hotel in the past year and it was as good as ever this time. Great family rooms, food & staff. Only criticism is that the wifi signal only works near reception and we use iPads to entertain the family & not DVDs.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Sara C

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback, we appreciate as always your loyalty and custom and we are delighted you all enjoyed your time with us.
We are currently having some issues with our Wifi but are looking into this and hoping to have it rectified as soon as possible.
We hope to see you back in the hotel very soon again

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent two nights here. I don't like giving a bad review in difficult times for hotels but this time I feel it is needed. Very disappointed with the general run of the hotel. Staff are very pleasant and friendly on reception and in the bar. One gets the impression they are under serious pressure to follow set rules though, in particular a bar manager who I dealt with, felt ripped off from that encounter. Hotel is shabby and badly in need of a clean up. Carpet in lift smelt and was badly stained not nice. Furniture in rooms worn and walls dirty. No Wi Fi in the rooms though the web site advertises this. Windows in restaurant filthy dirty. This is a beautiful part of Ireland and the Donegal people are so friendly and nice, it has much to offer. This hotel would benefit from a manger who cared about customers comfort and not a regime where they can get as much out of you as they can.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank fermanaghgirlIreland

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. You do not note the details of your encounter and why you felt ‘ripped off’ .Our staff are trained to deliver the highest possible service and standards. As with any business we have policies and procedures in place that staff must adhere to. This ensures that the service we provide is correct and efficient and that customers are dealt with fairly and professionally. I am sorry if you felt that this was not the case. I note your comment regarding the lift and your room. The carpets in the lift have recently been replaced. We do offer complimentary WI FI throughout the hotel and recently this service has been interrupted in certain areas within the hotel. I apologise for the obvious annoyance and inconvenience caused by the the lack of coverage in your bedroom. The exterior restaurant windows are cleaned once a week and interior windows daily. As you may appreciate the restaurant is situated directly over the water’s edge and it is not always possible to keep them completely pristine due to the water and seaside weather.
If you would like to discuss any of these points further please do contact us directly on feedback@redcastlehotel.com

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed there July for aunts 60th. My parents room was away from us (3rooms were booked) and it was extremely hot. Had ask fan for room. If you want to relax and play golf then this is great but we thought more things to do which wasn't the case. Couldn't get into spa as already booked out even for aunts birthday. Staff lovely and helpful. Breakfast good value and tasty. Ate in restaurant and meals just ok. Thought hotel would of done something more special for the actual day. Rooms good size. Clean. Felt bit overpriced for what is there. We came from Australia for her birthday and wished stayed somewhere with more to do and special.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mazziePerth_Wa

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and also for choosing to stay with us. I am sorry that your stay was disturbed with the recent heat and I understand that this can indeed be uncomfortable. I am sorry also that you felt your Aunts birthday was not recognised, we always make a special effort to mark special events that are celebrated in the hotel, it seems this was not the case with your party and I will certainly ensure that this matter is looked into. Our spa is quite popular and we advise guests to book treatments in advance, we include a reminder in all booking confirmation letters and the spa then contacts all guests directly prior to check in. The hotel is located along the Atlantic Way and there are many tourist attractions and activity providers along the hotel route and in neighbouring villages. Many of our guests would visit the hotel to tour the area and visit these attractions locally. I hope that you will get an opportunity to visit the hotel again to see some of these sites. If you would like to discuss any of these points further please do contact us on feedback@redcastlehotel.com

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on a 'romantic break' package with my husband in August. Having read numerous reviews about Redcastle on here, I concluded that as the vast majority were positive, it must be up there with other 4* hotels that we have enjoyed (Galgorm, Slieve Donard, Old Inn Crawfordsburn,Culloden etc.) and although I knew from the negative reviews there was a risk of disappointment, I went with an open mind and a willingness to try somewhere different. We were both so looking forward to this mini break as we knew we were not going abroad this year for our summer hols so I knew we would have to make the most of it ......I really tried to love this place but came away feeling fairly indifferent, and here is why.....

Room 306 - a suite, with a view of 'Leisureland', albeit blurred slightly from the filth on the windows that looked like they had never been cleaned. Panicked slightly at this because I had read reviews about a nightclub and lots of noise at night so my husband asked reception if this was anything to dowith it and was told no it's a kids play centre that shuts at 6pm. Fair enough, I thought and as I was suffering with a bad back and had just driven 2hours to get there, the thought of any hassle changing rooms at this stage was more than I could bear so I decided we could live with the flawed 'view'. The room itself was reasonably clean but when I turned on the lamps by the bed I noticed the walls were covered in a layer of dust and there was a water stain on the ceiling above the wardrobe area. Bed was a great size, comfortable and sheets were clean. Furniture was worn and the table in the lounge had one of its legs hanging on with a dodgy screw that nearly broke off completely when my husband tried to move the table closer to us whilst having breakfast on the first morning! The fizz and nibble plate were included as part of the package - we had no corkscrew to open the fizz and having waited nearly 20mins after ringing reception for one we gave up and hubby brought it to the bar for the waiter to open - kinda killed the 'romantic/lets celebrate' moment! I found a shard of glass on the edge of the bath whilst having a soak and this was 2hrs after arriving in the room so it was not caused by us and had clearly been missed by the cleaner. The bath panel was fraying at the bottom and splinters of wood that I found on the carpet outside the bathroom had obviously come from this. The wire on the iron was fraying and inner wires were exposed - health and safety checks are not being done thoroughly enough it seems!
The spa and pool area - changing rooms were very small, floor was a bad slip hazzard with tiles being very shiny and no grip and when I first went in the floor was littered with rubbish - not the hotel's fault but the filthy lazy people who can't walk two steps to the bin in the corner! The shower area was not the standard I would expect of a 4* hotel as there was paint peeling off the ceiling and some strange hole/gully in the floor by the sinks - not very safe! The soap in the showers nearly had my eyes out so I figured it must have been cheap rubbish - other 4* hotels usually have a more luxury brand for residents to use by way of marketing - I note Elemis products in the cabinets at the Spa reception - I'm sure they do a shower gel Redcastle?! The pool area - needs a good power hose and a bit of general maintenance with regards tiles/grout and trimmings on the pillars and the seals around the steam room door. The whole place felt a bit worn, neglected and not very 'spa-like'. So we had to wear swimming caps (2euro each btw!) for hygiene reasons but when I saw how grubby the pool edge was I was inwardly tutting and rolling my eyes! A lot of the 'jacuzzi' parts of the pool were not working and not one lounger where you could even recline and enjoy the view of the lough through the window .....block out the view of the the staff sitting in an out-house smoking and the roll cages and bins......
The spa treatment (massage) was lovely but again the spa rooms I felt could have been a little more opulent and a little less 'clinical'.
The gym - needs a right good clean!!!! Dust and dirt on the floor and the machines, especially the treadmills, were filthy with dried in sweat and dust! It felt a bit pokey but at least it was functional.
Restaurants and service - the Edge restaurant menu was o.k and the food was nice but there could have been a bit more of it on our plates - normally I'm stuffed at the end of a 3 course meal......the Captains Bar menu I felt had a better choice of dishes and the food was very tasty and more generously portioned. The service in both was great, staff very friendly and efficient.
Our last night was tainted with a horrendous nights sleep due to a lot of noise outside from young people messing about, cars revving and spinning and then a disco that must have been on until about 3am - we were trying to figure out where it was coming from and a one point another resident actually hollared 'shut-up' out of the window - I had to succumb and shut the windows so spent the rest of the early hours fitfully sleeping in a stuffy room. My husband mentioned this noise to the reception staff on check out but they denied knowing anything about it - sorry to say I didn't think it was the first time they will have had this complaint! I'm all for having a party but not outside to the annoyance of people who are trying to sleep and relax. If the hotel know this is a problem, they should give residents the option on checking in of having a quieter room even if it may mean a downgrade in room if they know that the room they are giving you may mean noise at night!
In summary, this hotel has so much potential - the views are amazing, the staff are friendly and welcoming and the general feel of the hotel is relaxing....but....it just needs some attention to detail in the short term and the spa/pool/gym needs an overhaul - this is what keeps people coming back for a bit of indulgence....you are missing a trick on this one Redcastle - visit Galgorms spa and you will see what I mean!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 306 or any other room on this side of the hotel due to noise!!!