“Don't even think about it!”

Hotel Pavillon du Zoute
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Knokke-Heist
Amsterdam
“Don't even think about it!”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Is it legal to call yourself a four star hotel when you offer rooms which look like nothing has been done about them in the last ten years? Just like one of the previous reviews we were also confronted with brown stains on the shower curtain as well as "mouldy" tiles. How dare they charge 120 euros?!? And don't even get me started on the service... I can imagine the hotel manager is burnt out after receiving complaints every day. I'll keep it short and crisp - rude, expensive and repelling!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Without any doubt the worst experience ever with a hotel ever and I'm sure it will not be matched by anything worse.

We went to the hotel, because it was recommended for a marriage and we got a 'special' price for it (€120).. Reception was fine and then we went to the room....

I'm not too spoiled when it comes to the quality of hotel rooms: but this was what you expect from a budget motel in a third world country..
In short: stains everywhere, separate beds with a good 15 cm in between (mattresses were curved because of old age), wallpaper hanging from the wall at different places. Then the bathroom: it had mold stains near the bath area, a brown-used-to-be-white shower curtain, other stains in different places, etc. We were, to say the least, disappointed. It was actually worse when we saw the room of friends; this was actually a room that did look like the ones you see on the pictures.
We thought this quality difference was too large to pay the same price and we went to the reception to ask about it: the mud hit the fan almost immediately: we got yelled at, screamed at and then some.
A selection of things being said;
- 'you're not telling me how to run a hotel!'
- 'I'm the sun of the owner, how dare you tell me this!'
- 'who do you think you are being this rude to me!'(we actually spoke in a calm voice and uttered our discontent quietly, knowing this is normally the best way to achieve anything')
Until a point he literally snapped at my girlfriend and became aggressive.. . at one point I even had my hands closer to my face and stepped in front of my girlfriend because I thought he was going to take a swing at us..
he ended it all by yelling ....-off!!!
Even if we were rude, I think it's no way to treat customers or to yell a them.

Amidst all commotion they told us the room (27) was last in line to get renovated, and therefore was not as good a quality as the others. but why let it or ask the same money for it then? Even if they went for the ‘we're very very sorry’ treatment, they could have had a chance, but this was really the absolute limit.

Suffice to say that we booked another hotel, with a room that was up to standard and didn’t look like you can also rent it by the hour.

Another experience from 2(!) others in the same group.. they broke their hotel room key in the lock at night (those old long keys) and had to stay awake for hours not being able to sleep in another room as well. Besides being charged (!) with €50 for the broken key, they were told that you always have to pay what you break (??!?!). When they logically refused to pay, they were told that they’d better pay because: ‘Otherwise I get the son of the owner, and then you'll have a really serious problem!!!’ …. Need I say more....

Don't go here... ever....

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stommie

Travellers are raving about these Knokke-Heist hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2008

SUMMARY
The area round the Oosthoekplein is a super-rich part of Het Zoute, itself probably the most exclusive resort in Belgium. If you're from the UK, think Buckinghamshire meets Bond Street. The Hotel P du Z looks expansive and inviting. Now read on...

SITUATION AND ARCHITECTURE
The P du Z is about a 15 minute bus ride from Knokke and buses run hourly but note that the last bus even in summer is at 9.00 pm. That said, a cab shouldn’t cost too much. The hotel building is actually quite attractive. I reckon it's getting on for 100 years old. It is the largest hotel in this part of Het Zoute by a country mile and is located centrally, opposite the baker and the front looks out at the setting sun. However, you need to know that this is not a kiss-me-quick resort. The Oosthoekplein is big on money and superficial refinement. There are a couple of (inevitably expensive) restaurants nearby but I can recommend Vlinderhof, which was absolutely first rate and only fractured the bank, without actually breaking it. In the day time, you also have the Siska Waffels place (go there!) opposite. Other attractions nearby are the Vlindertuin (butterfly park) and Het Zwin, a nature reserve in the dunes, with an aviary. So, there’s plenty to do nearby.

VFM
While you don't need to be a Middle Eastern potentate to stay here, it certainly helps. It boasts four stars and charges accordingly but you simply don't get value for what you pay. One area where you do, ironically, is in the dining room, where a four course dinner is almost given away (and is excellent quality, too).

SERVICE
Check in was a shambles. The vehicular access is from the rear of the building and if there's more than one other guest at the reception desk, you're in for a wait. Reception staff (Mine Host, when we booked in) aren't up to standard, either. The members of staff are, as is so often the case, excellent but there simply aren't enough of them. Canny Flemish parsimony, I think. The bar is not routinely staffed and you have to wait for someone to come from reception or the dining room. There is no dedicated cafe, either.

THE ROOM - DECOR &c
Our room seemed OK but no more than OK. There was no tea and coffee making facilities, one of the windows (it was dual aspect, which was nice) didn't open. The 'phone didn't work properly (and this was not due to my ignorance of Dutch), the guest information was about ten years or so out of date, the bathroom was bizarre. The extractor didn't work and the glass door did not come all the way down to the floor. Nice. The telly had BBC and ITV for those I-can't-be-bothered-to-work-out-what-they're-saying-in-Dutch moments.

FOOD 'n' DRINK
Service in the bar was almost non-existent though I level no criticism against the staff. Management are you listening? That's a shame, as the bar was very pleasant. There is a totally eclectic mix of bric-a-brac decorating the bar, which is furnished very comfortably - not with the usual identikit furniture, either. Despite their reputed meanness (as a Scot, I entirely understand), the Flemish do like their food and drink and terms such as 'small portion' or ‘wee dram' mean nothing to them. So portions in the dining room (I call it that, as you can't dine their casually as a non-resident) were more than adequate (and there were four courses for dinner) and asking for a post-prandial brandy produced a bucket of VSOP (as a Scot, I entirely approve).

...AND FINALLY...
I'm not sure I'll be going back there, which is a shame. I'd very much like to like the place more than I do but there are simply too many shortcomings. If there's a hotel equivalent of Gordon Ramsay to pout a bomb under the management, perhaps the P du Z can be his first victim.

• Liked — The great location
  • Disliked — The shortage of available stafff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple