This hotel is wonderful. It may not be the most modern, but for a beautiful location, a really warm welcome, comfort and great food, you couldn't find better.
Stayed for two nights in March, to do the Flam Railway trip, in a twin en suite room looking out towards the railway siding, with nothing else in sight but mountains. It snowed quite heavily while we were there which just added to the beauty.
The welcome you receive at this hotel, from Jannet and the rest of the staff, is really warm and you feel instantly at home. The room we were in had all the essentials and was very clean. The single beds were blissfully comfortable, and the windows could be opened to enjoy the fresh air. The hotel is quite secluded so is very quiet. There are two communal lounge areas with the one on the upper floor having lovely views across the valley and lake. Coffee and tea are available in these areas at all times.
Breakfast and dinner are both included in the tariff, making this hotel excellent value. They are served in a separate dining room which also has good views and is nicely set out. The food is varied and plentiful, with dinner on both nights we stayed offering three courses, and as you help yourself even the heartiest eaters should be satisfied - and what food! The quality and preparation was outstanding with a lot of local produce used (the smoked ham from the Flam valley and the cloudberry icecream were particularly delicious), and traditional Norwegian dishes are included. There are also plenty of vegetable dishes and fresh fruit. Breakfast was similarly generous.
In summer it is possible to walk from Myrdal Station, where the Oslo-Bergen train stops, to the hotel (not sure how easy this would be with luggage) but in winter you need to take a 3 minute trip on the Flam train, which stops straight in front of the hotel so is very convenient to catch for the full trip down to Flam itself. In summer there are walking tracks from the hotel.
All in all, this hotel was such a nice stay that it provided a second highlight to go with the Flam Railway. I have no hesitation in giving it the highest recommendation and would stay again any time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Are you on the lookout for a recreational place in the mountains? Then you are welcome to visit us here at Vatnahalsen Høyfjellshotell, 820 metres above sea level. We are doing our outmost to ensure you will have only the best experiences during your stay here with us. Vatnahalsen is a family owned and run hotel; the Aksnes family have more than 25 years experinece in running the hotel at the top of the Flam Railway. We have created a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere. Everyone is welcome as they are, no matter if you come in your biking shorts or your best suit, you’re still welcome. Here you can feel as if you’re at home, and we very much hope you do so. You will always be greeted with a smile from the hosts and staff, and they may tell a story or two…Welcome to Vatnahalsen – your mountain retreat – all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Vatnahalsen Hoyfjellshotell reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vatnahalsen Hoyfjellshotell Hotel Myrdal
- Vatnahalsen Hoyfjellshotell Norway/Myrdal