“Very well maintained and great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flam Camping and Youth Hostel

and 1 more site!
Flam Camping and Youth Hostel
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very well maintained and great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We had a cabin here for 2 nights which was really nice. Only disappointment was they were bunks (we were a couple). My fault though for not checking properly.
Hinders romancing a little!
A few minutes walk from the harbour. Very friendly and helpful people who run it.
Immaculately kept gardens and very clean everywhere including the toilets and shower blocks. I thought the 5min shower thing is a good idea and saves people wasting energy but my girlfriend disagreed but I get their idea for it.
Lovely sitting outside the cabin with kebab and vino. Some advice would be....take your shopping with you for self catering. The restaurants aren't that great and they charge a fortune (even by Norway's standards) and the supermarket charges crazy prices!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graham07930

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I organised one night here as part of a Norway in a Nutshell trip instead of the hotels offered through the trip, and I was really glad I did.
It's nice and near the station, though to be honest everything in Flam is near the station. I had accidentally booked myself into an individual room but they were happy to change me to a cheaper bunk room when I arrived. Sheets were included, which was great, and although my room was in a different building to the bathroom and shower facilities these were great. I didn't check out the kitchen but everyone else said it was great.

The room was clean and airy. A bit drafty when I stayed over Easter, so maybe a bit cold in winter! The only drawback was no wifi in the room, so I had to sit outside near the office to check my emails (who am I kidding? I was updating my facebook status.)

The staff were friendly and helpful, and though there were no safety deposit boxes I was able to leave my laptop with them while I went out walking.

Room Tip: There are lots of little bunk houses with rooms in. I was in one of the larger little wooden houses...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

First time hostal stay for us - what a pleasant surprise ! We stayed 2 nights, modern room with 2 bunk beds, our own, clean bathroom with shower. Extremely clean. Sheets included. Towels for rent - NOK 20. Several different types of accommodation in the camp. Large well equipped kitchen for all to use. Fantastic location, few minutes walk from port/bus. Market close by. Settled below waterfalls, incredible surroundings. Every night owners make BBQ to offer for buy and drinks. Very friendly service. Play area for children. Will come back !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Freindly welcome at reception. Stayed in what I assume was an annex to the hostel building. Spacious dorm with comfy bunks and bed linen provided. Well equiped kitchen/diner (big fridge!). Very clean and modern. Only downside was no common room / lounge. Showers (NOK 10) and toilets in seperate block - about 25m away. Beautiful location and very well looked after site (also does camping, caravans, huts etc etc). Dorms advertised as coed, but I stayed for 7 nights and it was all male. Well recomended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place is only about less than 10mins from the station/jetty. Receptionist is friendly and willingly to tell you where to hike if you are geared.

Actually, the centre so small that everything is within walking distant.

We chose a cabin for ourselves as we wanted privacy but not on the expensive side. Little cabins face the entire Flam with mountains and trees in a scenic view.

We cooked in our little cabin too though the washing area is in another "house" which makes it inconvenient as it was raining and cold. Otherwise, experience is fantastic.

You will wake up to a nice view of the entire Flam. Step out of your cabin and sit in the front yard with a hot cup of kaffe or tea and breakfast. Excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kidman
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We camped here early April and when we arrived the lady at reception was more than welcoming! Such a pleasant reception after a day of travelling and sightseeing!! The lady was extremely helpful and told us all the things we could do around Flåm, as well as giving us maps and directions of where to go so, much so that we stayed here 2 nights.
The atmosphere is so relaxed and a beautiful view of the mountains - it was also nice to have the owners in a less formal manner, in that if we needed anything we could have just knocked on her house door.

We had the campsite to ourselves, with newly refurbished, spotless toilets and showers which were a joy in the cold, early mornings! The owners have done the campsite beautifully and I even spied the owner working with some lambs beside the campsite.

Very close to the tiny village of Flåm which has a Coop and a train station, as well as boat tours along the fjord and a beautiful big waterfall if you want the hike. Also suggested was the lookout point you can drive to.

A good unexpected visit!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JJJ183
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a very nice stay at this hostel. Rooms were modern and clean, Wifi was working without any problems. Bathroom was also very clean. Kitchen is large and well-equipped. Surrounding is beautiful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. For Norwegian standards not expensive at all; excellent value for money. Would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flam
Flamsbrygga Hotell
#4 of 4 in Flam
Stalheim Hotel
Stalheim Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stalheim

Been to Flam Camping and Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!