“Beautiful place, nice house!”
Review of Brekke Gard Hostel

and 1 more site!
Brekke Gard Hostel
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Brekke Gard Hostel has many good things: is located in an awesome spot, 15 minutes walk from the Flam's touristic center, and with a perfect view of the Brekke waterfall. The place is pleasurable. The house is over 300 years old which brings a very good felling. Staff from the hostel is very nice and the house is really clean. I have only two things to complain about: the beddings are not included and I had to pay extra, which was a bad surprise; and as the house is wooden and old, any noise is heard from any room, so if the hosts don't strictly respect the silence hours, your quiet sleep hours are in risk, as happened to me!

Room Tip: Go for the 3rd floor rooms for a more quiet stay!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank igor_affonso

Reviewed 6 July 2014

All I can say about this place was that it was very interesting. It's an old farm that's been turned into a hostel so you end up staying in some really old and unique spaces. It was quiet when I was there but I don't think they were booked completely. It's one of the longer walks from the ferry but it's only about 15 to 20 minutes and not that bad. The waterfall hike is very close and very worthwhile. For the price I'll definitely recommend this place to anybody looking for a cheap place to stay in flam

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank James W
Reviewed 15 June 2014

There were no signs directing us, so we headed to the wrong building. Another guest sent us to the right building. The receptionist seemed to be poorly trained, not knowing that they did not accept American Express, and did not offer a receipt for cash payment. She did not tell us about wifi access, and there was no information in the room. She did not tell us about a second bathroom in our building. The building was set in the middle of a construction site, we tracked gravel into our room, and there was no broom. Since we shared a bathroom, a mirror in our room would have been helpful. The broken wardrobe contained no hangers, a cabinet did not open, and a crib was being stored next to our bed. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky W
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I enjoyed two nights here and it was a convenient base while in Flam. It is 1.2 km from the centre of Flam so you need to be mobile with your luggage, but this means you're out in the country with only a waterfall and farm animals as company.

The 300-yr old farmhouse has lots of character; think sloping floors, hand adzed beams and low ceilings. If you want slick and modern don't come here.

I booked through Agoda. The reception person comes three times each day at set times, and was very pleasant and helpful. Three bathrooms for about 9 rooms, which is OK. Kitchen has enough appliances, but could do with more pots and pans. Internet was rather unreliable, which was frustrating for everyone.

I stayed in the old red house. The same owners are building several new white buildings, which show up on the website, but I'm not sure if these are yet in use.

As others have noted, you do hear every creak and noise through the building. This wasn't a problem the first night, when the hostel wasn't full. Next night the hostel was pretty well full and a bit noisier. Special no-thanks to the two young Americans who thought it was OK to come back at 1 am from eating and drinking, crash into the room next to me and start a long discussion. You're in a hostel, dudes, not a frat house.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I was staying in the red building - a nice old countryside building with a small number of rooms, wifi included and a full kitchen at disposal. They were also preparing the new white apartments for the peak season during my stay, but if I go again I'll rather take the same I had :)

The staff was multilingual, flexible, friendly and informative.

It's a bit of a walk (15-20min) from the services and the hostel served no breakfast (at least the time I was there), so buy some breakfast groceries from the market in town. No better way to start a sunny day there than to take the breakfast outside and admire the landscape while the waterfall roars around the corner :)

There was no public transport, but no wonder - it's a small town. I guess you can find bikes for hire.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ville G
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived at Brekke Gard Hostel extremely late in the night, but that wasn't a problem at all - somebody has waited for us and let us in the hostel. The design is also very nice - we stayed at the Red house - old, full of antiques. Wish we would have stayed for more than just one night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Brekke Gard Hostel. On arrival, we were impressed by the lovely old house and rather than see a list of maintenance jobs needing done, I found the place to be quirky, traditional and brimming with character. We had a beautiful big room on the bottom floor (room 1) that came with a lovely table and chairs right by the window. There was a crack down the door of the room but you couldn't see through it and it actually strangely suited the place! It wouldn't feel right if they filled the place with the usual boxxy Ikea furniture you often find in these places.The house is full of old furniture which some might find outdated but I felt was entirely appropriate for the building. It has a lovely feel to it, like a family home. Several bathrooms were available and showers were grand. Kitchen utensils could perhaps do with some updating (old chipped bowls, burnt pan etc) but this certainly didn't bother us. As there was nobody around on arrival, we weren't quite sure what to do so sent a little email and they were with us in no time at all. We received a lovely greeting and lots of wee tips on how to get up to the gorgeous waterfall right behind the house etc. Well worth the walk by the way, the view is lovely. Obviously this is a very old house so with that, come all the creaks and noises of any old building. During our stay, only 2 other rooms were occupied but be warned, you will hear every movement another person makes within the house. It is quite difficult to move around quietly so this was not due to noisy housemates, more just noisy old doors and creaky stairs etc. Another couple in the house played music in their room until the early hours and although they were considerate and had this on very quietly in their room, we could still hear every lyric as we lay in bed. The hostel was quiet at this time of year but I imagine when it's full in the peak season, noise from all the other rooms could become irritating to some people. Worth considering if this bothers you but I still found the place to be very quiet and peaceful when compared to other hostels. If you want silence, you should probably be booking a more private hotel. Overall, a wonderful stay in a beautiful location and I'd return in a heartbeat :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flam
Gudvangen Fjordtell
Heimly Pensjonat
Heimly Pensjonat
#4 of 4 in Flam
Flam Camping and Youth Hostel

Been to Brekke Gard Hostel? Share your experiences!