“Great” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Excellent food and fantastic service. This is a very small restaurant but with about 8 tables outside. There is a wide variety in the menu and the fish is really good. Overall, a great dining experience. Staff are friendly and the service is top quality.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“I thought the chicken piri piri would be nice but oh dear!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

I ordered the chicken piri piri. What a mistake. The waiter put a very small bottle of very concentrated piri piri sauce on the table and said it was very hot so use it carefully. When my meal arrived it was fried pieces of chicken and boney very small pieces of chicken at that. Which part of the chicken, who knows. Other than the batter there was very little chicken and a lot of bones. Half way through the meal the waiter took the piri piri off the table and gave it to other customers (Fawlty Towers came to mind) When I had finished (which didn't take long!) I had more on my plate than I had started with! Someone described this to me a few days later as the chicken's coccyx. I thought it was going to be a piece of chicken (breast or thighs) marinated in piri piri but it was the most awful end of the chicken you could eat. We have laughed about it since and fortunately my husband didn't have the chicken he had a port chop so and his was ok.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank GregoryB
London, United Kingdom
“a good place to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2012

This is a small restaurant but has a wide choice with something for everyone. Not as expensive as the main restaurants but could have a larger dessert menu. Friendly service from the waiters and owner as we have dined there a lot in the past 5 years we have been visiting Monte Gordo.

• Visited August 2012
Hampshire
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

We went to this restaurant twice during our 2 week stay in Monte Gordo. The first visit was OK but on the second occasion they didn't have one of the items on the fish menu. I appreciate that this can happen often but there was very little apology for this. One of us just wanted a snack meal and opted for Pizza, it was the worse Pizza we've ever been served. The base was rock hard, dry and the topping was greasy and didn't go anywhere near the edge of the dough. Clearly this was a pre-made Pizza and not home made as we'd been led to believe.
There are several restaurants along the same small stretch of road in which this eatery is located and on subsequent nights we noticed a lack of customers here whereas the other 3 places were always bustling.

• Visited September 2011