“Relaxing 10 days” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alcazar Hotel & SPA

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Alcazar Hotel & SPA
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Monte Gordo
Filey
“Relaxing 10 days”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Smart hotel in good location with nice garden and pool area. Hot breakfasts 'tourist' rather than 4* standard (currently 3* but 4* in 2014 is planned) - varied from passable to quite good. Didn't try evening meals .... the menus didn't look inspiring and local restaurants much better options.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smpfiley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Polish first
birmingham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Alcazar with my husband for a week at the end of July. It was very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful.

A reviewer mentioned taking a junior suite if one was available and we followed this advice. It wasn't, however, a suite as such. When I imagined a suite, I thought there would be an area - perhaps a bedroom - for the bed and closets and a sitting area. There was a good sized bedroom in our junior suite with open shelving and a small desk. The large room, however, had two single beds in in and a hard chair. I was disappointed with this but that may just be because it was not what I expected. The balcony was great and that is where we sat most of the time we were back in our room.

The food I found a bit dull. I know if is difficult to have a buffet appealing to all. There was a meat dish and a fish dish and a pasta dish - at the least - every night and lots of good salad ingredients. I ate primarily salad with a piece of chicken or fish beside each night. It was fine but not "good" or "great" by any stretch..

Would I stay there again? Likely not; I'd want to try somewhere else for variety.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kathleen58
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in July, weather was great, room was OK but inadequate air con. Pool was regularly dirty, but by far the thing that needs improving the most is he quality of the food, bland cold, no imagination, we paid for half board but ate here only once. I can't imagine how this place s rated number one.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ikorel
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This hotel is friendly, offers large suites and is situated near to all amenities. We food the breakfast to be excellent, whereas the evening meal in the early part of our stay was a bit hit and miss and was sometimes very cold. The pool area is well furnished and as other reviewers has said can get a bit chilly but you can always move around with the sun. We never experienced a problem finding sun beds. Monte Gordo is lovely area unspoilt by rowdy tourists, it is easy to visit Ayamonte and Tavira by bus and ferry. A highlight for us was our visit to isle tavira simply stunning! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and area to others

3 Thank KZE
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I too feel the need to respond to previous comments. We have just returned from 5 days at the Alcazar, at no time did I find the pool area dirty, (in fact I saw staff clean it every evening). We spent 4 of our 5 days chilling by the pool at no time were we deafened by music and we could have as much sun or shade as we wanted all day. All in all, a super place to stay for a relaxing holiday, a great little resort with lovely restaurants and bars. We had our best meal at Vicius up the steps just off the main square. Monte Gordo and the Alcazar are certainly worth a visit. We will be back!

2 Thank 53alipali
Rugby, Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure where mcrunner was when he wrote his review but I'm sitting by the pool right now which is around 90% in the sunlight! Also, the only time I found the music a little loud was when I was sitting right next to one of the speakers. Easily solved - I moved along as there are always plenty of free sunbeds available. One of the best things about this hotel and Monte Gordo in general is the lack of loud, shaven-headed tribal-tattooed Brits in football shirts.

4 Thank Fonzarelli
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

First and last time to stay here. The rooms are excellent, big, clean, perfect. The pool area was dreadful. We asked twice to have it cleaned as it looked really dirty - in fairness the next day it was done - but there appeared to be no regular cleaning. The loud music pumped out into the pool area every morning, and EVERY morning I had to ask for it to be turned down - also a full week of listening to the same 1 hour 30 min tape over and over, forced us to the beach for our final 2 days!! The pool area also isnt a sun trap, very few areas get the sun. As I go on sun holidays to chill by the pool, relax and catch the sun, this wasnt the hotel for me and I wont be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Monte Gordo Hotel Apartamentos & Spa
Eurotel Altura
Eurotel Altura
#1 of 4 in Altura

Been to Alcazar Hotel & SPA? Share your experiences!