Alcazar Hotel & SPA
US$49
US$70
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Monte Gordo Hotel Apartamentos & Spa(Monte Gordo)(Great Value!)
US$72
US$68
Hotel-Apartamentos Dunamar(Monte Gordo)(Great Value!)
US$81
Priceline
The Prime Energize(Monte Gordo)
US$67
Travelocity
Hotel Paiva(Monte Gordo)
US$64
  • Room Service
Vasco da Gama Hotel(Monte Gordo)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$71
HotelsClick
All reviewspool areaexcellent hotelfour postermini fridgehot breakfastupgraded to a junior suitepool towelsstar hoteltop floorplenty of choicesea viewevening mealbaconflat screen tvtwin bedsexcellent beacha wonderful holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2014

First a little about Monte Gordo. It is fairly flat, has light traffic and a lot of people use bicycles to get around (part of a dedicated 200+ Km cycle path. Many places and most hotels hire bikes. The beach is reputed to be the best in the Algarve. At the one end of the town is a wooded area that stretches for about 2 miles along the coast to Villa Real. Bus fare to Villa Real just over 2Euro, taxi about 6Euro. At Villa Real you can get a ferry across to Spain 1.75Euro. The railway is out of town and a taxi there costs about 4Euro. I was told if you are a Senior providing you showed proof of age (passport) the fare was reduced. The conductor (you pay on the train) seemed to ignore my passport but the cost was reasonable, so who knows. Plenty of places to eat, many fairly local markets (tours), and a boardwalk on the beach. The only fault I could find is that local dog owners tend not to clean up after their dogs.

Alcazar has had a fair amount of money spent on it and work continues but they are fairly unobtrusive. At this time a gym is under construction. The hotel is on a quiet road, about 200yards from the beach. Most front and side rooms offer some sea view. At the front of the hotel is a sitting out area. Wifi in reception area and lounge and on some rooms over reception. There are 2 main lifts serving all floors, but look for the extra lift at the end of the corridor which offers scenic views. There is a games room on the ground floor (paid for games) and a small library. The restaurant is situated below the ground floor and its design, as is most of the ground floor, unusual. But….

Outside is a small pool for toddlers, a pool for swimmers (although I could only find one depth marked but it does vary). There is a lounging area and tables & chairs. The remainder of the spa area was closed due to works. There is a tennis court and what appears to be a childrens play area. Next to the hotel is a caravan site in a wooded area but this posed no problems during my stay. But…

Rooms are fairly large, have wardrobes, a desk, two bedside tables, comfortable beds and are spotless. A few more drawers would have been welcome. The maid on my floor was most obliging, calling in on my arrival to ensure that all was well and offer more clothes hangers. The rooms have obviously been included in the extra spending and the only problems I could find was that the mirror in the bedroom was past its best and the new floor covering I doubt will last long. The fridge is free but there is a charge for the room safe. But….

According to the entertainment programme it is repetitive (about a two week cycle). Fado music/singing is everywhere but not to my liking. Do however catch Grp Etn St Antonio de Arenilha which seems to be local folk music. I enjoyed that. But…..

The staff (Maria, Nelson, Valter, Orlando, Nuno and Christina in particular) were fantastic and an asset to the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble, always friendly and polite. But….

There is a “but”, the food. Breakfasts were mainly okay (fried eggs were always hard and bacon could be overcooked/burnt), but on four days (14 day stay) there was no bacon served. As a substitute, two days local cooked ham was offered, the other two “frankfurter” style sausage. There were cereals and the usual healthy breakfast food, but I do look forward to my bacon when on holiday. Tea, coffee, water and fruit juice was available. But…

Evening meals were usually a disaster. Soup was the exception. Desserts usually consisted of a dream topping type mixture, a cake that even the local supermarket would not sell and icecream. I am not a salad person so I assume the salad produce was suitable. Every night rice and pasta was served, usually two types of fish and two types of meat. Roast chicken consisted of unidentified chicken parts that contained more bone that meat, roast duck was also unidentified parts which were tough, veal steaks I could have soled my shoes with, meat pie turned out to be cottage pie, veal stew had few potatoes and even fewer carrots. I could go on but you get the theme. Usually potatoes came just in one type (boiled, mashed, chips etc), never a choice. Some nights no cooked vegetables were offered and if they were it was usually just one type. A lot of oil always seemed to have been used in the cooking. The only fluids offered (at a cost) were wine or bottled water. This is not unusual in hotels today but why cannot us non wine drinkers be offered a cup of tea or coffee.

This hotel is believed to be trying to obtain 4 stars. It is a great hotel, it is in a good position, it has very good staff but it does need to offer more palatable food to increase or even maintain the percentage of holidaymakers wishing to return. I personally would have paid extra for better food (after all I incurred extra costs buying meals at local restaurants that I could eat).

Would I return? On B & B basis yes, if the food improves very likely, to the number two hotel (on the beach) more likely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jos22
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have just returned from a month at the hotel. it is so welcoming that it is like visiting family. All the staff are so friendly.Have already booked my next two visits. The food offers plenty of variety - both hot and cold buffets at breakfast and dinner. I am a fussy eater and can always have a good meal. Already looking forward to my return.

Room Tip: I have always have a good room. Prefer a lower floor though some folk like a higher room for a better view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed for a week in February 2014. Well kept hotel, room (we had a junior suite) clean and quiet. Let down by quality of evening meal - would have complained if we had been in a restaurant but it is what it says on the tin - an eat all you can buffet. And some people did. At this time of year the resort is dead - and not much in the way of decent places to eat out. Breakfast ok but nothing special.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a junior suite at a relatively small cost, we thought this was worth it for the extra space.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Very clean and tidy, although buffet style evening meal too bland and warm eaten out three nights instead of staying in hotel. A long way of 4 star standard hotel.Need for better quality food, and selection of proper evening meal dinner menus. Ok if on budget only standard lots to be inmproved

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank john462013
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I returned from my last stay at this hotel on November 23 and that was my third stay at the Alcazar and I can recommend it unreservedly
I am a single woman who loves to travel and this hotel is one of my favourite destinations
The customer service is superb ; the staff are welcoming , friendly and really helpful and also will advise you with honesty and knowledge of the locality The hotel and the destination are both wonderfully safe for single women travellers .
The rooms are well equipped and the whole hotel is spotlessly clean and wonderfully warm especially as the temperatures in the Algarve can drop quite low at night
The food is delicious and the staff in the restaurant are friendly efficient and really helpful ; as a person with several food intolerances that eats very healthily I often find travelling somewhat challenging however it's a pleasure to visit this hotel as the cold and hot buffets are wonderful and the menu is varied . On the one occasion I couldn't eat the hot menu Raymond the manager was great and I was served a delicious alternative meal ; this type of service is exceptional
I have travelled the world in both a business and personal capacity for many years ; also I have worked in the travel industry ; and there are very few hotels that I can unreservedly recommend as highly as the Hotel Alcazar
I am returning to the Hotel Alcazar for Christmas this year and I really look forward to visiting this hotel again and again It's with the greatest of pleasure I write this excellent review of a excellent hotel in a great location with exceptionally great staff .

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Tess R
Nelson T, Gerente de relações com clientes at Alcazar Hotel & SPA, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for your preference. Hope to see you soon.
Obrigado.