Alcazar Hotel & SPA
Calema Aparthotel(Monte Gordo)
US$71
US$65
  • Restaurant
Vasco da Gama Hotel(Monte Gordo)
US$148
US$87
US$82
  • Bar/Lounge
US$125
The Prime Energize(Monte Gordo)(Great Value!)
US$136
US$129
Priceline
Hotel Paiva(Monte Gordo)
US$100
  • Room Service
All reviewspool areaexcellent hotelfour postermini fridgehot breakfastupgraded to a junior suitepool towelsstar hoteltop floorplenty of choicesea viewevening mealbaconflat screen tvtwin bedsexcellent beacha wonderful holiday
Reviewed 28 May 2010

this was our first time in both this resort and also Portugal. The hotel room ( junior suite ?) we were given had two single beds in the main part of the room where the tv , fridge (free) etc were , then a lovely bathroom and in a seperate second bedroom a double bed ( very useful to chase a snoring husband too ! ). The hotel is modern and very clean, the staff mainly very helpful and friendly. The food was a bit mixed, always pleantiful but not as you would normally expect in a european hotel, maybe it's a portugese thing , some strange snd surprising combinations. The resort is very quiet but it is ideally placed for getting about the area. We hired bikes (7 euros for 3 days) and the area has lots of cycle paths, so it's safe and easy to get about. You can ride the short distance to villa real de st antonio , which is a nice place to visit for the day, and take your bike on the ferry there ( 1.50 each, and 1 euro for the bike, and about 15 minutes) and go to Ayamonte in Spain .We found Portugal to be less developed for the tourist than many other countries but that is balanced by the kind and friendly people we met there, Wine was .80 - 1 euro a glass, beer 1 euro small beer, 2 euros large. Good value for money holiday.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karent33
Reviewed 18 May 2010

A beautiful very clean hotel, with excellent service, and excellent food. Very reasonable internet access. Great pool, bars and self service restaurant. Small shop in which to buy souvenirs.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GlendaG2
Reviewed 16 May 2010

I have stayed in the Algarve many times, often in 4 star hotels, but this has surpassed any of them for ther cleanliness and service of the staff.

I stayed on a B&B basis so I can't comment on the evening meals, but breakfast was all you could wish for. Cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, bacon, poached and boiled eggs (okay, a little hard) but the bread rolls are excellent, and real butter!!

I stayed in room 302 which had oak floors which can be easily cleaned and was daily! My room view was over pine forests and a camp site and a water tower. I watched the sun rise over the water tower every day.

The reception staff were very friendly and very helpful when I needed to confirm my transfer but was going to be out for the day. The transfer office didn't open until 9 am and I needed to be out by 8.30 am. They sorted this for me.

My flight back to UK was an early one so I ordered an early breakfast which was brought up to my room at around 8.30 pm. Wow!! It was a whole tray wonderfully presented - a real surprise and helped me on my journey the next morning.

In my opinion this is a 4 star hotel and I would go back in a flash!

PS, I was on the 3rd floor and had no problems with waiting for the lifts.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank travelleralone1
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We have just come back from a week at the Alcazar in Monte Gordo.

The room was spacious and airy - having two seperate windows in the bedroom which we were able to open which was just as well because the air conditioning wasn't very good. The bed was comfortable and was cleaned daily. Television was basic Sky News in English but we found English films with Portuguese subtitles on another channel.

Breakfast was quite good - although the menu was the same every day. Dinner was OK with a lot of different fish dishes. Meat seemed to be mainly turkey and turkey. Vegetarian option was always pasta. There were no drinks lists so we ended up with two small beers most nights. There was no price list in the bar either so although "Happy Hour" was posted as being 8.30 - 9.30pm daily we had no idea what the prices were in the first place.

Situated at the eastern end of Monte Gordo with a camp site in the pine forest next door it was still not far from all the amenities of the town.

The staff were all very friendly.

One of the two intenet computers in the reception area was out of order the whole time we were there.

As a base the hotel was fine

The whole resort seemed much quieter to when we have been there before - possibly due to the recession.

I have ticked that I would reccomment the hotel to a friend. I would reccommend it as a base for sight seeing in the area but would advise them to go B&B and eat out at night as there are plenty of restaurants in the town with a good touristic menu for around 10 euros

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cotswoldian
Reviewed 29 January 2010

After reading all the positive reviews (apart from the usual "nothing is good enough for me" brigade) we booked our Christmas holiday at the Alcazar in Monte Gordo. The pictures and reviews do the hotel justice. Our arrival was seamless and we were allocated a room at the back of the hotel which was fine for us as we enjoy the quiet! The room and hotel were spotless all week and the staff friendly.
Despite reviews to the contrary the food was good. Some have mentioned the lack of variety for breakfast. How much variety do they have at home? Juice, tea/coffee, eggs (scambled/boiled), bacon, sausages (OK not the best!!), beans, toast, cold meats, preserves, fruit. Maybe people were expecting kedgeree, kippers or quails eggs on alternate days!
Dinner was as mentioned meat, fish or vegeterian every night and repeated on a three week rolling basis apparently. Soup, salads and desserts were available as well. I have to say the salads were superb and I could have lived on them all week! And as for the Christmas night gala dinner, well it was incredible only spoilt by the antics of one person and if you can read you know who you are! How proud our European cousins must be of us.
Monte Gordo itself is a very quiet resort even at Christmas. Even out of season there are plenty of shops, bars and cafes open. Best night of the holiday - fado night at the Nax bar! Superb. We did visit the casino but being veterans of Vegas we found somewhat lacking in atmosphere and very smokey. How soon we forget!!
It rained 5 out of the 7 days we were there but we still managed to walk and bike to Villa Real, spend an hour and Spain and promenade on the beach every day.
We are going back in March we so impressed and hope to see more of the surrounding area without the rain.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple