“delusions of grandeur”
Review of Hotel Mar Bella

Hotel Mar Bella
Ranked #40 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Reviewed 8 August 2012

recently stayed at this hotel with my partner having previously stayed at the tossa beach hotel without any problems. This is not a 2 star hotel and is barely a 1 star. The double room we were given was a single room with a double bed, no daylight as the window opened into the middle of the building in the drain shaft so the room stank too. we asked to be moved but the manager at tossa beach didn't want to know. we were finally given another room by the under manager. in the same hotel which we had to pay another 150 euros for. there was no air conditioning and no lifts so not suitable for elderly or disabled. meals ok at tossa beach but when we tried to order a packed lunch for a day trip we were informed that because we were in the marbella this was not included in our package.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My daughter and i staye for 4 nights at this hotel (if you could call it a hotel) we had to go to another hotel to eat and have our all inclusive deal which was in the next street.
There was no air conditioning, the toiled leaked and water ran in the pan all the time, I reported this problem 3 times! There was no security to the room as the doors were closed ba a bathroom lock and the balconys were accessible by hopping over a meta barrier.

I did not leave anything in my room of value at all it would have been silly to as access was easy by a push from the outside and you were in!

The rooms were so hot it was impossible to sleep and when i asked about air con i was told by the assistant manager of the Tossa Centre Hotel (where we had our all inclisive time) to go and but a fan from the shop. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!

The pool would have been ok if the Non English holiday makers did not keep shouting and jumping in splashing everyone all the time they were very rude! I asked for them to be told about it as previously the Management had a go at a young girl for jumping in (she was English and jumped in once to cool off) Her boyfriend was asked to tell her not to do this and was then discriminated against for the rest of their holiday by the some of staff, particulary the night man at the hotel where we and they were staying, i was told off for talking and laughing quietly at around midnight as we were chatting to the couple in the next room, it was too hot to sleep!

The porter spoke to me at the top of the stairs and told me that there had been NO COMPLAINTS about noise but the couple we were talking to were on a warning for something or other. They were very nice people and i had not observed any problems from them as we chatted most days at the pool.

A case of if your face does not fit i think, and if you complain the staff dont like it and are quite rude and half the time they did not understan English so it was a waste of time.

This has to be the worst hotel ever i will never know how they got 2 stars as they should have none at all!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay there!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jld321
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This hotel was hard to find when we got off the coach. Very basic and problem with sewers - room smelt awful, had to close bathroom door and keep balcony doors open to let in breeze all the time. I understand some rooms didn't have the benefit of a balcony at all! Management should sort out toilet issue and get air conditioning, but building very old fashioned. Very basic amenities, but was nice to be able to eat and sunbathe at Tossa Beach Hotel

Room Tip: Rooms overlook busy street full of shops. Also, noise pollution terrible due to thin walls and traf...
2  Thank Gaby B
Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here for a week on all inclusive basis the two sister hotels which are across the road is where the restaruants and bars are these being the tossa beach and the tossa centre bearing in mind the hotel mar bella is a one star and the two others are both 3 star the food is of the same quality breakfast i would say had the best choice apart from that nothing great and the drinks are limited at the bars but all in all are ok .Tossa itself is a nice place unspoilt by to much tourisem if your looking for bars clubs and a busey nite life then loreit de mar would be for you a diffrent contrast and a 3 euro bus ride .Our room was basic and hot but used as a base. 5 nights out of seven the hostals opposite were very noisey and kept us awake untill 3am ish .All in all we payed £560.. via teletext for a week inc transfers and taxes card charges web check in etc etc if your looking for a budget break with meals and drinks thrown in and dont mind the basic set up this is ideal if your looking for comfort and gourmet food pay a lot more then you have cause to moan i would return to tossa but would proberly go for the tossa beach or the tossa centre but on reflection the meals would more than likley decide me against this in the end .A few points about eating out in the many bars and restaurnts most are very resonable as we did this on a few days nights if your looking for a british bar then hollys bar do great food tipcs bar up one of the side streets in the town opens at 8 pm great beer Don Juan is another bar in the town with hams hanging from the ceiling where you can try these and cheeses together with bread all very nice but nothing special if your looking for pizza or pasta these are plentifull throuhout tossa .One bar to avoid is called bottles bar again up a side street next to dinos which i think is part of the same place 1 large beer and a tia maria and coke 10 EURO thanks for that we wont see you again nice to rip of the tourists apart from that go into any local bar and listen to the banter and pay 3.50 for a large beer and small beer .we also visited julie and nicks bar well what a undfreindly host julie was so didnt ventrue back there .Not a bad trip but the euro isnt strong and in my veiw spain is getting exspensive every year hope yhis reveiw helps .....

5  Thank m666
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Just back today from a weeks holiday staying here and was impressed by the helpfulness and friendlieness of the staff. The hotel is ideally situated in the middle of a lovely town and the food which was available at the sister hotel two minutes away was very good. The staff there were very helpful and efficient. The only negative was the rooms had no air conditioning but apart from that they were a bit basic but spotless. I cannot understand people giving bad reviews because for the money it was well worth it.. Tossa itself is lovely, clean and unspoilt by tourism. We had the misfortune to visit LLoret de Mar and the contrast between the two was startling. Buy a cheap fan when you get there and it will be a great holiday! Thanks to everyone there...

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor room!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank Musky1962
Reviewed 8 July 2012

My partner and I just returned from a week long stay at the Hotel Mar Bella. We were all inclusive so we used the facilities at the nearby Tossa Beach/Tossa Center hotels.

The hotel is easy to find and is located right in the middle of the town which is convenient, if somewhat noisy at times.

Unfortunately, were we on the 4th floor which meant a gruelling amount of stairs every time we wanted to go to our room. Also, every other floor had windows in the corridors except for ours which meant that as the heat rose, it had nowhere to escape.
This, combined with the lack of air conditioning, meant that our room was stifling hot most of the time.
To combat this we left the windows open 24/7 and kept the shutters closed during the day.

This was ok except for the last night. We retired at about 2am and some loud French holidaymakers somewhere nearby kept us awake. At about 3am I shut the window which resulted in the room immediately becoming stifling hot so I opened the windows again at about 5am. Not the best start to the day we were due to travel home!

The decor in the rooms was fairly plain and dated. Our room had been given a lick of paint recently but the bathroom suite, windows etc are clearly 20/30 years old.

The towels were changed every day and sheets every few days which was excellent. I had to mark them down on cleanliness however due to the dust under the bed and a smear of shaving foam on the bathroom wall which was there when we arrived and still there when we left!

The size of the room was excellent with two more beds than were actually required! We have one double and two single beds in our room. The room had a small television for which you could obtain the remote for a refundable deposit of 30 euros. If the program was an English (mainly USA) program that was dubbed in Spanish you could change the audio to English.

The reception staff were friendly and very helpful.

It was not a big problem at all to get to the other hotels for your food/drink/facilities.

The pools on both the Beach and Center hotels are quite small but clean and the centre one is more geared towards adults.
There is a jacuzzi at the Tossa Beach but I would recommend letting the sun warm it up for an hour or so first!

The sunbeds fill up earlier at the Tossa Center as it is more of a sun trap as you only get sun in certain parts of the day over the road at Tossa Beach.

The food was a bit of a disappointment. I have been all inclusive a couple of times before and found the food to be slightly worse than my previous experiences at 3* hotels.
Breakfast was the best meal of the day with a passable English breakfast along with continental options, fruit, cereal, yoghurt and so on.

Personally I found the bar snacks to be of better quality so towards the end of the week I abandoned the dining room in favour of the burgers/hot dogs/toasted sandwiches served at limited times from the bar.

They did have a wide range of drinks stocked at the bar, all locally produced versions of your old favourites. They are not shy with the measures either. No complaints from the bar side of things. The bar staff were friendly and helpful.

They have a two drink per wristband rule but they would overlook that usually if you weren't rude/obnoxious.

Personally I would not stay at the Mar Bella again. I would consider paying a little more and staying at the Tossa Centre/Beach but the quality of the food would probably deter me.

Just a note to say where I have graded the restaurant and pools, obviously this relates to the Tossa Beach/Center,

3  Thank Lee1340
Reviewed 4 July 2012

mart bella hotel may be cheap but I would not stay there again if I was offered a free holiday. The rooms have no air conditioning and are on a main road so the only way to keep cool was to leave the doors open on to thestreet and the noise is horrendous. All night traffic and people shouting at the top of their voices. We asked to be moved to a different room and were told for 120 euros we could move to a lower floor which did not address the noise issue. We did not get a meal on the first night and on the last day we only got breakfast although we did not leave until 2.50 in the afternoon. When we complained I was told that we got a meal on our first night but we did not and the restaurant was not open and neither was the bar so I do not know how they could say that. Most of the staff are helpful except for the lady in charge on reception who was very rude when we enquired why we did not get dinner on our last day. The rooms also have a very bad smell of sewage which comes and goes all day long and can be quite overpowering. All in all not a nice experience and not one I will repeat.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple