“You'd Be Better Off With Rice-A-Roni”
Review of Can Carlus

Can Carlus
Ranked #32 of 179 Restaurants in Tossa de Mar
Price range: US$25 - US$99
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed 25 May 2014

It's hard to make great paella. It's NOT hard to make good paella, though. So why did we wind up with slop at Can Carlus?

We weren't expecting great paella at Can Carlus -- a restaurant with a big menu can't devote the time or burner space necessary to produce great paella with the characteristic crunchy caramelized bottom layer. But what we got was gluey glop with some difficult-to-identify extra ingredients added in.

And though I can be a bit fussy about food, I've never seen my husband turn away any combination of seafood and rice (he'll gladly eat rice-a-roni with some clams thrown in). But we both left this food on the table and went out for ice cream.

Our appetizers were awful as well. I had some red shrimp - small local shrimp quickly cooked in oil and garlic and served in the shell. Mine were so dry and tasteless I wonder if they had been frozen.

But my husband's Caprese Salad was worse -- (yes an Italian dish was on the menu). My husband loves Caprese (basically sliced tomatoes and mozzerella) -- and this wasn't the first time he had it in Spain. When he ordered it in Valencia, he got fresh tomatoes with fabulous fresh burrata cheese. At Can Carlus he got generic Spanish table cheese with flavorless tomatoes.

Our meal was cooked by someone who didn't seem to care about the quality of the food he serves. The food we had in Spain was usually good, and sometimes great. There is no excuse for serving food this bad.

2  Thank Mara10570

Reviewed 4 October 2013

We ate here one evening during our stay in Tossa de Mar. We had mixed paella and a litre of sangria. The food here is fantastic, in a great setting in the old town. The service is great the guys attend to your every need despite the restaurant being very busy!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Read some differing reviews, like all of us we have good and bad days, the day we went the chef was having a fantastic day, food was awesome, the best we had all week, mind you everywhere we went was good.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed in Tossa de Mar 13-21 Spetember 2013, and ate at this restaurant twice. First time we had tapas, 4 different ones which we all liked. Second time we had the t-bone steak,that we finished cooking ourself at the table, good fun! The steak was so tender, we didn't really need the steak-knives. The wine could have been better, specially the white. As a bottle of wine was included I guess they don't do the fancy stuff. However, as we only wanted one glass of wine each, they didn't charge us for the water, which I think was really nice as we drank 3 bottles between us.
The waiters had a much appreciated sense of humour, and the service was excellent! The setting is beautiful, and I will go there again when/if back in Tossa.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Hi both me and my partner love this restaurant. We came to Tossa in June and ended up eating here 5 nights out of 7. When we came back in September we tried other restuarants as we thought that we should really try and sample other restaurants, however, we struggled to find anywhere as nice so we felt that we wasted evenings by not going here. The service is fantastic, Juan, Carlus and the waiters all really looked after us. The food is gorgeous and the menu of the day is really good value with 3 course and a drink for 17 euro. So in 2 one week holidays this year we visited Can Carlus 7 times and never once were we dissappointed. we can't wait to get back there next year. Zoe & Richard