My wife and two sons, 12 and 15, stayed for four nights at the Gran Hotel Reymar in late August. We did quite a bit of driving to towns on the Costa Brava and we were happy with our choice of Tossa de Mar as a destination - it is a good mix of charm and enough going on to a have a good seledction of restaurants, without the overdevelopment of nearby towns such as Lloret de Mar.
This hotel is at an excellent location, right on the beach with a nice pool and within a short walking distance of the sights and restaurants in Town. We had a car but there is no reason to drive within Town and there is a parking garage at the hotel. The first night of our stay there was no room in the garage, which was frustrating, especially since there really was no good alternative. That was an example of why I struggle whether this is a 4 or 3-star hotel. It clearly fits in the 4-star category for location, cleanliness, and the breakfast was excellent (we did not eat in the hotel other than for breakfast).
There were a few items that should be noted and that might be helpful. We had reserved a balcony for our room and one without for the kids. It turns out that the balcony room cost twice as much as the non-balcony room and was on the 3rd or 4th floor overlooking an alley. It was clearly not worth it and we switched to a room at half the price after the first night. Also, the kids; room was down the hall overlooking the alley and smelled of smoke from people (I believe employees) smoking outside. Therefore, I recommend asking for a room away from that area and to avoid balcony rooms - they are not worth it. Other than that issue, the rooms were very reasonably priced considering the location. Nothing very fancy, but just fine for a family vacation. From what we saw of other hotels in the area, I think the price was right if you avoid the balcony room.
One other complaint. When paying for the sale (mildly annoying but consistent with other hotels' policy in Spain) and checking out, the credit card payment was processed in US Dollars, thereby requiring the bank the hotel uses to charge a 2 or 3% conversion fee and at an exchange rate not as favorable as my credit card company. When I asked about it, the response was "we don't get any more than the designated amount of Euros". I decided not to argue, but when I arrived home I complained to Best Western and they refunded the difference (about $50 in this case). I don't know why the hotel did not put through the charge in euros to provide the best exchange rate to the customer, but it is not a good policy. However, Best Western stepped up and provided a refund.
Even with that issue, I would recommend this hotel. It is a good value in the basic room, the pool is nice, it is well located, there is an excellent adjoining beach and the breakfast was excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Premier Gran Hotel Reymar, located on the seafront in Tossa de Mar on the Costa Brava, and just minutes from the town centre. The hotel is located on the more private Mar Menuda beach, separated from the main beach by a rocky outcrop, and a wonderful place for both adults and kids to sunbathe, swim, go snorkelling or even scuba diving. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TravelUp, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Premier Gran Hotel Reymar & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Tossa De Mar
- Tossa De Mar Best Western
- Premier Gran Hotel Reymar & Spa Tossa De Mar, Costa Brava