“Would not recommend”

Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Arrived at the Hotel Costa Brava on Tuesday 28th August for a 4 night stay. We were allocated a 3rd floor room (even though we were traveling with 2 small children). Check in was easy, we enquired about parking and were informed we could park for 17 euro a day! We declined and subsequently found a car park just up the road opposite the hotel (up the side of Panos) for 5 euro a day so the hotel clearly trying to rip off the clientele. The room, well, tired and very cramped for a family of four. We discovered the room was infested (in the wardrobe, bathroom, near the balcony doors and in the bed!) with ants so we reported this to reception who informed us that they would tell the cleaner ..... by bed time when nothing had been done and ants were crawling over our children in the bed we demanded to be moved to another room (a bit of ant spray was never going to sort the ant problem out, rentokil more like). Reluctantly we were moved to a ground floor room which we were more than happy with but the next day we were told we would have to move to yet another room so 3 rooms in less than 24 hours, not a good start, first day was spent unpaking and re-packing and un-packing again. Not a word of apology let alone a good will gesture did we receive. The rest of the stay was OK - the walls are paper thin so don't expect any peace and quiet, we struggled to find anything we could eat (mostly meat dishes) but the brekkie was good and the puds were good. The younger male members of staff very friendly but the rest in particular the older ladies very miserable, we were told off for not paying our drinks bill at the end of each dinner - we're used to settling the bill at check-out and no one had told us that the drinks bill needed paying each day so woops! At check-out this morning, again, no courtesy or 'hope you enjoyed your stay' nothing and to top it off, I left my mobile phone in the room, so I doubt I'll see that again! All in all, not a dreadful place to stay but certainly wouldn't return and wouldn't recommend. Tossa itself is OK, the beaches are gritty so didn't spend any time on them, old town area is beautiful but again, not somewhere we would return. Parking is horrendous costs a fortune in some places up to 40 euro a day so beware if you have a hire car!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank welshone2010
Josep_Gibert, Director of Sales at Hotel GHT Costa Brava, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you the time it took you to write these comments. As our goal is to keep improving our services, for us is very important the feedback from our customers and so be able to get continuous improvement.

As we want to know the needs and dislikes of our customers, we are doing a continuous and comprehensive monitoring of feedback from you, both in establishment and on-line.

In Hotel Costa Brava in Tossa de Mar and also in the rest of the GHT Hotels, a high rate of customers repeat every year and this fills us with pride, but we are not satisfied and we strive every day, so our guests can get with us a great vacation.

We would like to apologise, in the name of Hotel Costa Brava and personally myself for the incident with the rooms.

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. We take note about things you didn't like and look forward to see you soon at the Hotel COSTA BRAVA or to any other hotel of our group, located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Commercial Manager
GHT Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Really to say, the hotel was nothing special, although we enjoyed our stay. As the town is quite small, it doesn't take more than 7 minutes by walk to get to the beach, supermarket, bus station etc. Rooms are very clean and of descent size. Breakfast and dinner buffet is not a Michelin restaurant, but pretty nice for a 3-star hotel. Wi-fi worked in corridors, in lobby, but not in the room as the signal was very poor. Overall, this hotel is a nice choice if you aren't going to spend there all day long.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank mill94

Commercial Manager
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This was our first visit Tossa de Mar. We arrived around 7 o’clock in the morning. In spite of some reviews say that early check-in might be possible, this is definitely not a case for high season like in August. That’s why we had to wait for several hours until we get into our room. A good-natured receptionist pointed a place to leave our luggage, excused for his “small English”, registered our passports and showed us to the sofas in the lobby where we could wait for a room which was expected around 11 AM. The receptionist having seen iPad in my hands promptly offered a password for free WiFi.
Unfortunately the storeroom where we left our luggage is neither locked nor watched. Therefore suitcases should be left there on your own risk.

To kill time we walked on empty streets to know the town better. We found that the hotel is very well situated indeed. But since the town is small, under these circumstances I dare to say that all hotels are well situated in Tossa de Mar. Anyway I noticed many bars and cafes as well as other hotels next to the hotel Costa Brava and only 5 minutes are needed to walk from the hotel to the sea beach. We adored the beach from the first sight. It is covered not with ordinary sand but rather with coarse sand or small pebble. Stepping on these pebbles is pleasurable for feet. However there were many boats and small yachts in the bay. When they start engines foul odor of diesel is spread over the beach.

The room we finally entered was sufficiently spacious, with twin beds, a desk with TV on it, standard small fridge below the desk, chairs and wardrobe. There’s a safe box in the room but you have to pay for it. At the first blush the safe box looked strange: a rough metal box without a lock. It turned that the lock together with its cylinder is to be obtained on the reception and paid for all days in advance together with a deposit of 10 euros. But it’s a pity – they did not accept a credit card as a payment method for the safe box despite the POS terminal exits on the reception and pretends to be working well.

So I had to visit an ATM which due to small size of the town is not far from the hotel – it took less than 10 minutes to find an ATM and withdraw cash. Thanks to the young lady on the reception who spoke English with confidence I obtained a map of the town and general directions where ATMs and banks are located. Later I incidentally realized that that helpful receptionist speaks Russian which is considered good news for Russian speaking tourists.

A fridge is generally not free-of-charge for guests except for rooms on the first floor where it is free as a compensation for absence of nice view from balcony. We were staying on the first floor and not so great view from balcony did not bother us at all. Instead because of the first floor the room got less sun and was not heated much. We did not have to turn on air conditioning at its full power. However I’d like to admit that the air conditioning system was the most noiseless among all hotels I ever stayed.
The telly on the desk was pretty small, about 14”. However it had more than 20 channels most of which were local. Also I watched channels in German, Italian, French and English. There are even three channels in Russian. Unfortunately I did not find any musical channel but I was willing to learn trends of Spanish popular music.

It's worth to say a few words about the door of our room. It had electronic lock operated by a magnetic card. But the door did not have a latch or door chain to safely lock the door from inside. It didn’t have a door eye either. Several times chambermaids entered the room despite the door was actually closed. After that I decided to hang out a sign “Do Not Disturb” to prevent unexpected entering. Furthermore the door passes all sounds from corridor and the lobby as if the door does not exist at all. That’s bad.
Walls of the room were not better in terms of being soundproof and very thin. Once I was reading a book leaning on headboard. At the same time somebody started moving furniture in neighboring room and hit the wall so that I got blow in nape.

Unfortunately rooms in the hotel are equipped with neither kettles nor coffee making machine. I always write in my reviews that I’m a tea addict, having a cup of tea is mandatory for me. So we had to visit various cafés for tea or request it in the bar.

But the most significant disappointment caused a bath in our room. The draining system of bathtub did not work well, somehow the drain was blocked and bathtub emptied more slowly than normal. I talked to various receptionists several times, left formal requests for their technician, but nobody showed up till our final check-out. Fortunately at least a draining system of lavatory bowl worked well.

I’m not certain if WiFi worked on other floors, but for sure it was available in lobby and in our room of the first floor as our room was situated close to the lobby. As I already mentioned WiFi in the hotel is free for guests. But for some strange reason the password provided by the hotel had not been accepted for a couple of days whatever I did. Even ladies from the reception tried to enter the access password to double check my steps but in vain. Then on the third day WiFi access magically appeared without any reason. I decided that all's well that ends well. As an alternative you can use a computer in the lobby for certain fee or visit a nearby café with internet for 50 cents for 15 minutes.
Surely the hotel’s management must learn how to fix things in their facility.
Another thing that embarrassed me was that bed sheets were not changed for all days in our stay in the hotel. On one of first days I unintentionally dripped a peach juice to my bed sheet and had been observing that spot until we left.

I mentioned that we stayed half-board. Food was not bad but in my view the choice was poor. Well, at least you won’t be hungry in this hotel. As usually when you are on HB you have to pay for all beverages during dinner. That’s why we enjoyed tea in other cafes. Thankfully there are lots of them in adjacent area.
We badly missed hot porridge and cottage cheese in the morning breakfast. Some people took corn flakes served with milk but I’m afraid that was a weak alternative, I need real porridge for breakfast.
There were fruits, yogurts, sausages, cheese, ham. One could fix bread-and-butter with tea. Mercifully tea and coffee were included into breakfast. I also was fond of hot chocolate for breakfast, my wife loved cocoa with milk.
I’d say that mealtimes were quite noisy and bustling: waiters were running, dishes clinked, knives and forks clattered. For me it wasn’t a peaceful and quiet atmosphere.

Likewise I would not call this hotel quiet and boring. Evening entertainment in the lobby was targeted mainly for kids. To pity it was not dubbed in English. But kids delighted in participating in it anyway. Adults listened to singers or watched football supercup. At midnight entertainment ends.
Sadly at this late hour it's almost impossible to find a place for full supper. Maybe except for beer in bars. However around 1 AM we were lucky to find on seafront promenade a small bar where we could get crepes (Russian blini) with stuffing. This place is very close to ascent to medieval castle.

You could rent a car. As I learned none of rental companies exist in Tossa de Mar. Usually they reside in Lloret de Mar. But they can willingly deliver a car to the hotel. I checked several and chose Olimpia. Their prices attracted me. Additionally a receptionist understood what I needed, called them and talked to the same language. Thereby she saved me from calling and explaining my request in English. Olimpic company has a Russian speaking agent who delivered car from Lloret de Mar without extra fee and signed a contract with me. I have to confess it was convenient.
Do not expect to find a parking lot near the hotel. I was recommended to use free car parking behind “Seat” garage. It is about 3-4 minutes walk from the hotel. But usually all lots are occupied there. That’s why some 20 meters farther huge public parking exists. I paid only 5 euros per day there. Trust me this is very nice price as other parking in the town will charge you about 15-20 per day.

I cannot tell how much I paid for this hotel as we purchased our entire trip from Nizhny Novgorod to Tossa de Mar including flight, shuttle from Barcelona airport and etc. and of course staying half-board in the hotel itself. But judging on prices of similar offers in other hotels Costa Brava 3* cost me a bit higher. So I assumed the more expensive the better. Another reason that contributed to choosing this hotel was the fact that hotel management responds to reviews here. It gave me an impression that they would like to improve.

If you ask me whether I return here, I’ll reply that I’d like to return to Tossa de Mar. This is a charming small town. Although not sure if I will be staying in this hotel. But maybe I’ll choose it again, who knows?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank _0Alexey0_
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time it took you to write these comments. As our goal is to keep improving our services, for us is very important the feedback from our customers and so be able to get continuous improvement. As we want to know the needs and dislikes of our customers, we are doing a continuous, comprehensive monitoring of feedback from you, both in establishment and on-line.

In the Hotel Costa Brava in Tossa de Mar and also in the rest of the GHT Hotels hotels, a high rate of customers repeat every year and this fills us with pride, but we are not satisfied and we strive every day, so our guests can get with us a great vacation.

We really appreciate your extended review about Hotel Costa Brava in Tossa de Mar. We think it is very complete and sincere, and we will analize all different parts in order to solve as many as possible.

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. We also will take into account all the things that wasn't of your complete satisfaction. We hope to see you soon at one of our hotels strategically located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Commercial Director
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2012

A lovely hotel, we had Full Board option, the food was good, with plenty of options, Breakfast cereals are horrible. We had 2 kids with us, rooms are tight but they are nice and cool (a/c) and serviced daily. The entertainment for kids is ok, mostly in Spanish and not great for English speaking 3 yr olds. Walls are paper thin also and we could hear the guy next door snore!
The whole place caters for Spanish and French and as such the quality in the resort is good. Also, the prices are very reasonable. I would go back to this hotel and definitely the resort. Its great that it caters for Spanish/ French as its quiet and relaxing.
The beach is shingles and quite deep so if you may need beach shoes.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank fionny11
Josep_Gibert, Director of Sales at Hotel GHT Costa Brava, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Dear guest,

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. We look forward to see you soon at one of our hotels strategically located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Commercial Director
Ireland, Indiana
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We booked a last minute break to the Costa Brava Hotel. Were a little unsure as reviews in general were excellent with an odd negative comment here and there. We were impressed from the monent we turned onto the street. The outside looks well and is kept in excellent condition. The foyer is spacious and check in was hassle free. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean. It was cleaned every day, right to the outside of the balcony. The food is basic but for the price you cannot expect fine dining. Fresh juice, expecially orange juice, being in Spain, could be provided for breakfast. The staff in all departements are very efficient but could be a little friendlier, Entertainmant for children excellent but not so good for us adults. It is also in a great location, short walk to the beach and town. We were checking out at 4.30 am and enquired about getting some breakfast but we were told they did not provide breakfast for early checkouts. I note in a rewiew that some people got packed breakfasts so we are disappointed. The least they could have is a tea/coffee machine for early checkouts. I would recommend replacing carpet on stairs it lets the hotel down. Having said all that the hotel is excellent value, spotlessly clean and looking forward to returning.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank scampCoClare
Josep_Gibert, Director Comercial at Hotel GHT Costa Brava, responded to this review, 23 August 2012
Dear guest,

Again, thanks for your kind remarks. We take note about things wasn't of your complete satisfaction and look forward to see you soon at one of our hotels strategically located along the Costa de Barcelona-Maresme and Costa Brava.

Kaiserslautern, Germany
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Reserved a single room for 3 nights for an unexpected last minute trip. Arrived at hotel before 11a.m. and was pleasantly surprised that the room was ready. I was expecting one of the closet rooms where you have to jump from the doorway onto the bed (as single rooms often are) but was delighted to have a normal sized twin room with balcony. No great view from balcony but the place was perfect for me as I just needed a place to sleep, hotel was spotless, bed comfortable, price was right, staff friendly and efficient and excellent location for the beach and shopping.

Room Tip: I was in room #119, very quiet. Not a good view from balcony but far from the madding crowd!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank ChristinaHD
Josep_Gibert, Director Comercial at Hotel GHT Costa Brava, responded to this review, 1 August 2012

Ripon
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have just returned from a week long stay at the Costa Brava Hotel in Tossa de Mar with my husband and 2 children (7 & 4 years old). It is a second year running that we have stayed here and the hotel is still perfect for us. We had a room with a double bed (huge as it is two big singles pushed together!) and 2 single beds. The rooms are basic but spotlessly clean with a TV, decent shower/bath and AirCon. There is a balcony; our room looked over the road, some look over the pool but beware of the ones that are on the ground floor as they appear to have no balcony. The pool is lovely, a good size and clean. There is also a small baby pool. They don't allow saving of sunbeds and there was always plenty of room. There is a gym and indoor jacuzzi but we didn't use them. By the pool there is a table tennis table and a pool table and a room where they have entertainment for kids but again, we didn't use that. The food is excellent. There is a huge choice at breakfast, both hot and cold, same again at lunch and dinner. Staff are friendly and efficient. It is in a central position within Tossa- you must try Bar Pano which is the bar opposite the entrance. The staff are soooooooo nice and there is a great atmosphere. If you forget anything, the Chinese shop on the corner sells EVERYTHING!!! The added bonus this trip was that when we said that we needed to check out at 3am, the hotel provided us with 4 packed breakfasts for us to eat at the airport!! Tossa is a fantastic resort; hardly any English people and if you do come across any, they are decent ones!!! There are loads of lovely restaurants and if you hire a car, there are lovely resorts all along the coast (especially going North). Can't recommend Tossa and the Costa Brava hotel enough.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Emcart99
Josep_Gibert, Director Comercial at Hotel GHT Costa Brava, responded to this review, 29 July 2012