Hotel Mare Nostrum
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Hermes(Tossa de Mar)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$43
  • Pool
Hotel Windsor(Tossa de Mar)(Great Value!)
US$68
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Delfin(Tossa de Mar)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$75
Cancelon
US$122
HotelsClick
US$87
  • Restaurant
Hotel Diana(Tossa de Mar)
  • Beachfront
Golden Bahia de Tossa(Tossa de Mar)
  • Restaurant
GHT Hotel Neptuno(Tossa de Mar)
  • Pool
Hotel GHT Costa Brava(Tossa de Mar)
  • Pool
Hotel Marina Tossa(Tossa de Mar)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 September 2009

After reading the reviews on here I was unsure about staying here. We booked a cheap deal through Thomson, hotel only, and paid about £30 per night B&B. For that price the hotel was excellent value. It officially a 2 star and it more than lives up to this. The whole place was spotlessly clean and our room a nice size, bit basic but again a 2 star room. Small balcony overlooked the pool. The location is great, right in the centre of Tossa and 5 mins from the beach. The pool was fine, no problem getting a sunbed. The breakfast was OK, all the normal continental stuff as well as fried eggs and (spanish) bacon. Staff were really friendly to us, we asked for a local gym and they provided a map and directions. All in all I recommend for a cheap getaway for some sun just don't expect 3 or 4 star facilities.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie_Lon
Reviewed 1 September 2009

arrived early hours on sun/23/08 hardly any english was understood just pointing we were dying for a drink but nowhere open, no fridge,kettle,hairdryer in room. had a disabled lady with me in wheelchair and hey put us on top floor and at the end of the long hall,i asked to be moved which they did then booked room for late checkout so they moved us back to the 1st rom we had. hotelstaff were very rude no help no manners, much the same as staff in shops, people dont ask you to move they just push you out the way. there was a incident in the hotel where a young lad climbed on the roof and neary fell over the edge all because the cleaners leave the fire doors open to make there work easier , we closed the doors and the saftey gate but they where opened bak up again the hotel staff wernt bothered at all the manager just sits on reception or having a smoke outside. last day the cleaners left taps on upstairs and flooded my room soaking my case and clothes no apoligies no help nothing nobody bothers they just want your money. if you dare make a sound after 12 midnight be prepeared for a telling off they dont have fun in hotel its not allowed i thought i was going on holiday but instead i ended up in a prison camp. TOSSA IS THE RIGHT NAME FOR THIS PLACE AND THE PEOPLE (excluding the lovely people who we met holiaying there)

2  Thank tossauk
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Having just come back from a stay at the Mare Nostrum, all I can say was it was ok. The rooms were clean, although in need of updating, it served its purpose. We are a group of friends in our 20's, so for us it was not too bad, although in the middle of August it could have done with some Air Conditioning! I was however, woken up at about 6am most morning by the not so quiet dustman outside our Balcony!

The Staff were ok, not overly friendly. They spoke a little English, but with some Spanish mixed in there we got by communicating! The 2 pools were small but clean enough, but with the beach literally 2 mins down the road there is little need for them.

The Breakfast area was civilised, but the breakfast itself was decidedly average. Serving the typical greasy fatty Spanish bacon most days with a variation of eggs every day with rolls, meats and cereal there was a limited choice.

All in all, we had an amazing holiday as the location of the hotel its great but since our hotel room looked out onto a nicer hotel; I couldn't help but feel a bit teased! Great for groups of friends with no children, who just what a base and who are out most of the time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Only booked this hotel for 2 nights on a B/B basis so glad we didn't book for longer, I was glad to leave just to get a good nights sleep!

Good points -
Good location not far from the beach.
Booked a twin room for just the 2 of us - we were given a family room with 2 bedrooms.
Room was clean a bit dated/basic but had a modern bathroom with a good shower. decent size balcony.

The not so good points -
Our room was very noisy as we had to sleep with the balcony door open - no air con. clubbers were very loud when leaving the local bars/clubs at all hours of the night, bin men collecting rubbish around 5 am. young children running up and down & playing in corridors from as early as 6.45 am. walls paper thin.
We stayed on a B/B basis but only a small selection of food on offer, not the best tasting food I've had, one very slow toaster where you had to put your bread through 3 times to get any colour. the dinning room waitresses where the most miersible people I have ever come across, would not move out of the way for you to get pass just completely ignored you if asked for anything.
Never used the swimming pool but I did notice it was small, had sunbeds round but all taken well before 9am.

Now for the worst part -
I have never come across such rude/ignorant reception staff in fact all staff were awful, never even acknowledged us when we arrived to check-in just carried on doing paper work, treated as if we were invisible, same when we checked out, a man just grab the key from us, we said bye and again was completely ignored, we never seen one member of staff smile, it was like we were putting them out by being there, I no it is only a 2* hotel was not expecting much but a smile doesn't cost anything.

I booked this hotel through the Thomson website, thinking Thomson had a reputation to keep for good hotels, I would think again before booking with them.

Tossa De Mar really is a beautiful place & I will return but not to this hotel.

The only person I would recommend this hotel to would be my worst enemy.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dscam007
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The staff at the hotel were very rude and not very helpful. Breakfast staff would clean up straight at 10, also before 10 about quater to 10 they would stop serving breakfast. The cleaners were very nice gaves us clean towels and sheets. It was very noicey as we had to sleep with the door open beacuse it was to hot. The rooms are very small. This is possibley one of the worst hotels i have ever stayed in. There were other hotels around with only two stars which looked a lot nicer than Mare Nostrum. On the saturday we left we were leaving 9.30pm but three days in advanced we asked if we could have our room longer through the day instead of checking out at 10am, they told us to come back tomorrow, we did, the next day they said, we did, then again the next day, it came to Saturday and they said no because they were fully booked. So we had to wait and keep going back and back. It was not good as having kids we had to sit around the pool all day.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family