“Pontins in the sun”

Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Tossa de Mar
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Pontins in the sun”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

On arriving at don juan I was pleasantly surprised. As we had a late arrival a cold buffet had been left for us in the restaurant. The food wasn't the best, however I could always find something to eat. I think this hotel would have been great 15-20 years ago. It is a little run down, however it's clean. The staff are not pleasant and are very selective who they serve. Example being that they never served my husband ( he is not a drunk and tips better than me). English are the minority at this hotel. This was not a problem to me. Please note this is a budget hotel. If your looking for a cheap holiday it's ok.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mJDavies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have just come back from a stay here with my son and I have to say after reading the reviews I was a bit put off
I have to say it was most enjoyable food was fine plenty of choice pool was clean and there were parasols
I agree the breakfast was a bit of a free for all but on the whole plenty of choice again
The rooms were cleaned daily and clean towels and sheets everyday we had a room on the 4th floor front facing with massive balcony
I would defiantly stay here again and only 5mins away from the seafront if that and a lovely local bar opposite great for the G&Ts
Most enjoyable holiday

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Deakindrop
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013

went to this hotel on a school trip i thought it was amazing!! the rooms were perfect, we stayed in 109, beds were comfy, room was always clean, had a nice balcony view, i just loved it, id so go here again. the food wasnt up to my standards because i didnt like most of it but the chips and that were nice, loved the discos, the songs were so fun to dance to. i did have one issue though, which was the door, it was very hard to open and i only learned how to open it 3 days in to the 5 day holiday, pool was amazing just the right temperature lots of sunbeds, the staff who spoke english were so friendly but even the ones who didnt always tried to help. it has amazing attractions inside and outside the hotel. i just thought it was an all round amazing trip! id definetly go here again its suitable for anyone, buisness couples family friends and solo although id never go solo

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lauren D
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel, it is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! The hotel seems to cater for Russians and school trips and being in the company of unsupervised kids or drunken Russians is not my idea of a pleasant holiday,
We could not stomach the food and after 2 days despite being full board decided to eat out! They want 12 euros to park a car per day which is more than it cost to hire one!! I did not pay much for my stay, but was very dissapointed with the hotel so conclude that it is not good value for money! If your home diet is not very good or you are a schoolkid on a group visit then this is ok, if you are not then stay well away.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Martken

Travellers are raving about these Tossa de Mar hotels

bournemouth
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I have just come back from the Don Juan and can say how disappointed I was, The review the hotel gave was that it been renovated this year, when I asked at reception what was renovated I was told new lifts and work on the front of hotel(what at the front some plastic tables and chairs) I told the receptionist that their review was misleading in all aspects and should have read partially renovated. the room was clean Paper thin walls so you could hear people on the loo, every door on the 4th floor creaked loudly so hardly any sleep, no satalite flat screen t.v 8 channels, all in Spanish, no hairdryer The pool was a joke dirty, falling apart no parasolls for shade and no wheelchair access to it. Food, the hot food came out at breakfast at 08.00am I went straight away to find the food was cold when they brought it out, Outrages Abysmal food ate out most of the time even though I was HB, will not be back,get your act together Don Juan

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thumboroune
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed here with my school recently and we had a nice, comfortable stay. The rooms were always well cleaned (although we did have a hole in the wall), they were simple but they only had 3 sockets- which may cause a problem. One of the lamps in our room was broken. Rooms were more practical than stylish and had a nice size balcony
The breakfasts were fine, as long as you only eat the patisserie items( croissants, toast ect.) as the fried breakfast wasn't the best. The coffee machine was amazing!

Dinner was much worse. I ended up only having pasta, lettuce and chips all week! What was disappointing about the evening meal was that the staff gave us English harsh glares whenever we walked past!
The location is okay. It is near a nice beach and there are a few streets with little shops. I recommend walking up the castle thingy located on one end of the beach as there are fantastic views! It was a shame that Barcelona was a 2 hour coach journey from the hotel, and Port Aventura was 3 hours!
The hotel has a good games room and lots of places to sit. The pool is quite small. I don't think this is the kind of hotel I'd like to spend my whole holiday in.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Bourbonica
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This hotel I have seen get very bad reviews, and although, yes the food WAS terrible, everything else was superb. I went there on a school trip not long ago and everyday we would get back and our room would be spotless, nothing ever went missing like it can in some hotels, and I found personally, that although the staff had fairly bad English, they tried their best to be polite and help us. Although I do understand the bad reviews and think that it is a hotel best suited for either schools, or people looking for somewhere simple and comfortable to stay that will provide food while they are out and about exploring Spain and getting to know and experience the culture. Not for those who are looking for an all inclusive, room service, relax by the pool type of a holiday. :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends