“Nice and functional”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mora
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Nice and functional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

This hotel is now called Hotel Fridhemsgatan, and has been renovated earlier this year. It is nice, clean and functional (a bit similar to Travelodge standard in the UK). The room was cute with some dala horse details (looks the same as in the pictures), the bathroom was adequate, but as often in Swedish medium standard hotels - no coffee or tea making facilities in the room (and the communal one in the reception was out of function at the time). The breakfast buffet was nice with a good variety of foods (mainly continental but also some scrambled eggs and bacon available). The service was good - friendly staff. Unfortunately we couldn't get the free Wifi working, but there was a good variety of tv channels on offer. It is within walking distance to Mora high street, the water front and most things you need if you are in Mora. I can definitely recommend the place for somewhere nice and functional.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Manhattan, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

I enjoyed staying at the St. Mikael for three nights and having breakfasts three mornings on a trip in early October. It’s very comfortable and clean. The rooms were average size for Sweden (small) with a smallish bathroom. Internet was free and there was a desk built in to the wall with a comfortable chair. Our room had two very narrow single beds (again common for Sweden) and I slept great on them.

The staff was helpful when we needed them, but like most Swedes, they didn’t go out of their way to engage with us in conversation. I also appreciated that they didn’t change our towels every morning. But if you want or need a wash cloth, bring one from home.

The breakfast each morning was in the restaurant and consisted of typical Swedish fare: sliced cheeses and meats, bread and crackers, hard and soft-boiled eggs, pourable yogurt, and several kinds of cereal/muesli. The first morning I had the regular brewed coffee available in the restaurant, but later found a coffee machine that dispensed freshly ground and brewed espresso and other coffee drinks. It was great!

The location of the hotel was on the edge of the downtown area, but within easy walking distance of all you’ll want to see in Mora: shopping/walking mall, Zorn Museum, Mora Church, and the lake.

Room Tip: Train runs behind the hotel, but it didn't bother us much.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Barnstable, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

This was the first stop for my mom and I on our travels in Sweden and Norway. Overall it was a great place to stay. The rooms were pretty standard, nothing too fancy, but very clean and comfortable. It was a quick easy walk into town and to visit the Zornmuseet. The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly. What really sealed the deal was the amazing breakfast they put out!! So many different cheeses, meat, fish, breads, jams, eggs, cereal, yogurt. It was the highlight of my day. I would come back again just to have the wonderful breakfast spread.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Chelsea S
Barry
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my partner and 4 year old daughter. The trip was to go to Santaworld. The hotel were good for information by email before the trip. The hotel is about 20-30 mins drive from santaworld.

Although I booked a taxi, this didnt arrive to collect me from the station. I phoned a number of times and waited in total 45 mins in the snow. In the end I contacted the hotel and they telephoned the hotel company for me. The hotel said the taxi company didnt understand english , which is why they didnt pick me up. So I would advise you make all booking through the hotel. They arranged my taxi to santaworld which was 300 sek each way.

The hotel is basic but clean. The hotel rooms are similar to a travel lodge. I paid 2740 sek for 2 nights with breakfast and evening meal for 2 adults and 1 child. We had a put up bed in the room even though I had requested a family room. But the bed was comfortable enough.

The staff at the hotel are really nice and everything is clean.

I was shocked by the evening meal. It is a buffet style. After travelling for 12 hours, we went to the hotel restaurant and was told to help ourselves to food. They was 1 tray which was fish lasagne and a loaf of bread. That was it. I was so disappointed. From the website it looks like they have a fully functional website. However it is just a room with dining furniture. My daughter wouldnt eat anything and me and my partner could only eat the bread. What I didnt appreciate was that swedish people have their main meal in the daytime.

We had a lovly sleep in our room and there was no noise.

Breakfast was amazing. So much choice. There was about 50 things to choose from.

After a day in santaworld, we returned to the hotel. We went again for our evening meal. We were told again to help ourselves. It was soup and bread. Again I was shocked for that to be considered an evenings meal. There was no desert and no other choice. My daughter wouldnt eat anything again so we asked the waiter to cook her some white breadrolls and he was more than happy to do this for us. The soup was lovly and we had 3 bowls as we were starving.

The staff at the hotel run the reception, kitchen and bar, so they are very busy but will help you.

I have stayed at the best western in the same town before 9 years ago. I did think this hotel was much better and they had a nice restaurant. However after reading other reviews I decided not to return there. They also wanted 4500 sek, for 2 nights, so too expensive for us.

I would recommend this hotel for the service, and value compared to the best western. If they could improve the evening meal I would give this a much higher rating.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Harding1000
Basel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

For a project of our son (18 years old), he was flying with a small airplane from Switzerland to Sweden, we were looking for a hotel where he could stay for one or more nights and where they would look after him during his stay in Sweden. Right from the first contact the help we got from this hotel in Mora was unique. In advance...Many thanks to all of you at St. Mikael! I hope to visit this hotel once myself.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maturaflug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mora
Mora Hotell & Spa
Quality Hotel Dalecarlia
Green Hotel
Green Hotel
#1 of 5 in Tallberg

Been to Hotell Fridhemsgatan? Share your experiences!