“A really lovely hotel”

Ranked #3 of 216 Hotels in Maspalomas
Leeds
“A really lovely hotel”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

As Riu's go this is up there with the best.
Great location, lovely grounds, fantastic staff and all the usual things you expect from Riu including a huge choice at breakfast and dinner.
This was our 2nd visit and it didn't disappoint.

Room Tip: Become a Riu Class member, accumulate points and get upgrades (if available)
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RiufanLeeds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
doncaster
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This was our third stay in this hotel and we still love it. Arrived late on the Saturday night and was checked in quickly and we went off to find our suite. We usually stay in suite as they are in lovely grounds and are bigger than the rooms.
Everything was just as good as our previous holiday, the hotel group 'Moonlight' are still terrible but funny if you've had a few drinks, but the other acts have gone downhill so we decided to find the Yumbo centre in Playa del Ingles - what a fantastic night we had, the drag acts are brilliant, makes a change from the lovely (but Quiet) resaurants in Meloneras. The beach at Maspalomas is back and looking lovely - and our favourite bar, Paddys bar is still there.
A tip to the management - give Martin the waiter his own show, he is far more entertining than the 'entertainment' you book!
Our return flight was an evening flight so we took up their offer of another room for the last day for 50euros. It made the last day lovely, as usually we have to check out by noon and wander around til 7pm. However, if I'd have booked a room and been given this one to stay a whole week in, I wouldn't have been very impressed!! Very small and the view of a the restaurant roof, but is was enough for our needs.
Breakfasts are great, although you have to be carefull when you 'run the gauntlet' to choose your food, so many people just dont look where they are going! Great food though, but pretty awful coffee according to my husband.
Looking forward to next September when we return.

Room Tip: Suites are worth the extra!
2 Thank becca_stu
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My family and I just spent a week at RIU Palace Meloneras and returned yesterday. It was my first time to a RIU Palace hotel so I had high hopes as I have been to many other quality properties. It’s a large hotel in a great location close to shopping, Faro lighthouse, and the dunes. The main building looks amazing. Entrance and reception hall are beautiful. Most guests are German and retired people. It’s a good place if you look for relaxation and no activities. Wifi is only in the entrance hall (not at pools) and you need to log in each time when you use the internet (very inconvenient with a smart phone). Prior to our vacation I wrote an e-mail to the hotel requesting something special for my mom (as it was her birthday) but the hotel management didn’t reply to my request which was disappointing. At check-in guests are offered a glass of cava which was nice. We got our 2 rooms (next to each other) on the 3rd floor in the central part of the hotel with a spendid view of the gardens, pools, and the Atlantic. I think this is the best part of the building to get rooms. Rooms were large and clean but there was no welcome fruit basket or wine in the room. I asked the reception about this and was told that only VIP guests get them. The bed was very good (wonderful hard mattress). We had a small Samsung LCD TV with many Germany programs. In the rooms we had problems with the black standing lamp throughout our stay (in one room it wasn’t working at all and in the other room it went on and off by itself quite frequently). I requested the hotel to fix this but they didn’t get it work properly. The minibar is tiny and not much room for your own drinks. Temperature is too warm to enjoy your drinks cold. We saw some bugs next to the minibar on several days. I asked at the reception if we can get ice cubes for the room but was told that in the bar downstairs I could pick up ice cubes in a bucket for the room. So they don’t deliver them to the room as in most 5 star hotels. Ice cubes were large though and I went to get some every day. The safety deposit box costs 15€ a week. Bathroom is large and clean. Shampoo is in a large dispenser and smells like soap (not a luxury brand). There were no wine glasses in the room but two regular glasses and two glasses for cava. We didn’t have any bathrobes but got them after requesting them 3 times at the reception. The hotel didn’t have two keys for one of the rooms so for the first day we only got one key (I wonder where the other one was?). The next day they changed the lock and gave us two keys. Staff were very friendly throughout our stay everywhere – housekeeping, receptionists, restaurant and bar staff. Food is excellent at this hotel. We were on half board and enjoyed fantastic buffets 6 nights and the Krystall a’la carte restaurant on one night. We ate breakfast outside every day. They have cava at breakfast but it's hard to get a table outside if you get there between 8.30 and 10 am (you have to stand in line to get a free table). Breakfast selection is huge and of good quality. Many fresh smoothies, numerous cold cuts, cheeses, fruits etc. Dinner is also fabulous. There is a great amount of different dishes each night, some with show cooking, and one evening they had a Moroccon night and on Friday there was a Spanish buffet with paella etc. Plenty of salads, cheeses, deserts etc every night. Food is definitely the best thing at this hotel! Krystall was nice but nothing spectacular and not really gourmet (but nice though). They have a menu with a couple of choises for appetizier, main course, and desert. In the beginning you get a glass of rose cava and a small plate of tapas. Waiters were very professional and attentive. Wine selection is quite limited, especially if you want to have a small bottle of wine. Prices for the small bottles (0,25l) were 5,75€ and large bottles from 15€ upwards. Water is quite spendy at 3,80€ a medium size bottle. The pools are large and nice but old looking. The walls had damage signs underwater. No jacuzzi outside. The gym is small with old machines (they worked though) but no free weights. Sauna/jacuzzis is nude only area – with men and women together – like Germans like it. Both jacuzzis had cold water. At pool there is no animation which is good. Sunbeds are made of plastic and look old (most cushions were partly damaged). Every day you need to go and pick up your cushions by yourself from stacks in the pool area (no pool boys here). The lunch restaurant is good and reasonably priced. We ate there 3 times. The pool bar is expensive and the only food you get there is a small toast for 3,75€. Staff is cool though and they walk around the pools selling vitamine drinks at daytime. Pool hours are from 7 am to 7 pm. The gardens are pretty and very tropical looking with many different palm trees and some banana plants. All-in-all this is a good hotel but not quite 5 star as it was advertised to us by our travel agency. We enjoyed our holiday here – the staff and food are amazing – but there are also some negative things about this hotel as I wrote that made me rate this property only with 4 stars.

Room Tip: Central part of the main building (3rd or 4th floor) with sea view - or suites next to the promenade...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank henri_s
Driffield, East Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Enjoyed our second trip here, the standard of everything was just as good. Think we have had the best room maid here in our 40 plus years of travelling abroad (earlier this year in Cuba we had our worst maid ever)

The food was really outstanding in the buffet and the staff are great.

There are a lot of Germans at this hotel

Just enjoyed the week - a real tonic

Room Tip: We had room 86 last year and requested it again and got 88 - not a very good view - just looks out o...
2 Thank Chrisy48
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This was our 1st visit to Gran Canaria for nearly 20 years and we chose the Riu Palace Meloneras from previous experiences of the Group. I can confidently say we were not disappointed at all! Extremely similar in layout to the others in the group, both in room and communal areas. Others describe the excellent food on offer and I can’t improve on those descriptions save to say we always enjoy the many fresh and varied selections on offer. The room was very much as expected with the added benefit of being on the 4th floor which mean your balcony is open to the elements and a lovely place to sit in the evenings should you not wish to stay up and enjoy the entertainments. Fresh fruit and ½ a bottle of sherry were waiting for us as well. I took the advice of a previous review and emailed ahead for an early sitting for dinner and was not disappointed. The only down side to my mind, and this cannot be anyone’s fault, was the amount of non-English visitors which sometimes left one with a feeling of being somewhat sidelined. Having said that, almost all were charming guests anyway. I completely agree with the previous review on the issue of sun beds and pool towels. Why anyone feels a need to “reserve” a sun bed when there are always plenty to go round defeats me.
The immediate area outside towards the dunes has some lovely looking restaurants, although we didn’t use them on this occasion, and some delightful high quality shops with very recognisable names!
An hotel and resort I would gladly return to and strongly recommend.

Room Tip: The top floors seem to have the best views
4 Thank Leo L
Cambridge
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Dear holiday maker
Just been home for a week from a week’s stay at the hotel, we travelled independently as I like to go out of London Stansted, so I ask for a certain standard of room, in my experience I feel this is not always the case with a travel company
I'll start with the room, very light and airy, we had a sea view room on the 2nd floor, although it is classed as a sea view, the palm trees block the sea view somewhat but still a nice view! and there is a flat roof below that covers the restaurant and other rooms, but there was no noise from below, we had some fresh fruit and a half bottle of wine when we arrived, lovely touch.

The restaurant has two sittings, 18.00hrs and 20.00hrs, we were on the late sitting whether you have a choice or not??
Breakfast is buffet style with lots of choice from freshly cooked eggs and omelettes, to cold meats, continental as they say!
Fresh fruit, to many things to list, really very good, there is an outside restaurant area, were the smokers can go.
Dinner, once again lots of choice from roast, to fish, also a table service, drinks are reasonably priced.

There are two pools, with towels available, plenty of sun loungers and parasols, in saying that we did go a bit out of season, I think in high season it would be crowded, there are signs up around the pool (no reserving sun beds, no balls in the pool and no Lillo’s) guess they can't read, never mind, but can be irritating.

There is a lovely sandy beach, out of the rear of the hotel turn left walk along the promenade. Takes about 15mins, can be windy.

To transferee to and from the hotel, ask the hotel to organise a taxi to the airport 40 euro's one-way, half an hour not bad!

You have to vacate your room by 12 noon, but they have courtesy rooms if you have a late flight to shower and change in.

3 Thank travelbirdCambridge
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2011

If you have paid already I am sure you can have a lovely time but if you have not booked then please read on. The staff are great, lovely and very very helpful and I think thats why so much older people return again and again. Given the price of the holiday I was suprised to find the following- no daytime entertainment programme, the dining area is VERY busy and its the first time I have been warm and unhappy during breakfast- you can go on the terrace but there can be a wait unless you go before 8am, even at 10am there can be a wait- the rooms are lovely and v well cleaned but small. We were entertained by the kitchen coming and goings from our balcony, I am sure others would have been unhappy. We had no sun on the balcony after 2pm.
It was nice , that the minibar was not checked everyday and you are left to request it refilled.....despite this and never using the items in there already..........though we did fill it with our own drinks......we were still billed at the end of the holiday twice with two minor items, these were removed when we pointed them out without any debate at all. The pool has a lovely walk in ramp with hand rail which was great whatever age you are............no need to slip...pools fine, pool bar really staff great, towel/pool staff do very little and every day we watched pensioners rolling around with a little difficulty shade/umberllas.Sunbeds are taken early but plenty always available...so no need to worry.The meals are pre set at two sittings and we arrived to be told we would eat at 8.30pm- we were very unhappy and managed to swap after one evening to the early sitting- many people wait two days for a swap- dp say at booking if you want the early sitting 6pm-winter/6.30pm summer. The food is really excellent
but the two sittings means on the early one they are keen for you to eat and go.There is a really really great buffet with specialised cooking each evening but you can have a waiter provided main course if you wish. The food is not duplictaed all the way down , so do have a good look at it all.,there is a roast option at the bottom of the room and a specialist dessert near the doors when you enter. At breakfast there are speciality teas near where the roast option is- coffe is excellent and brought immedaitlity you sit down. Cava always available- cooks will do fresh food- very high standard of food- room can be busy and as I said too warm- twenty years of travelling to the caneries , this is the first time I have been warm at breakfast-but you can sit on the terrace. I think the heat was due in part to the amount of people in the room.
Evenings were really lovely, we left through a security gate to see the sun set each evening, a lovely walk and numerous lovely bars. Cheap cocktails from 4 to 5 euro s...beer 2 plus euros. Beach very short walk and lovely..............shops close by........v little noise from iether, casino and banks close by...no noise! We had a great time overall....I just feel niggled over the price which I think was five star but we got a three star hotel.......which was ok... would we go back....not sure......we have stayed very happily at three star in lanzarote and other islands.......and five star elsewhere in the world...........for the price...not sure we got a good deal....i think for the price I would return to five star hotels elsewhere. Paying for the safe was annoying but we knew this from reading reviews.....the hairdresser was EXCELLENT and cheap, give it a try...........the sauna and jacazzi are free but staff were rude and unhelp- jacuzzi set at cold- yuk. We were told by rep we could have checkout room as we had late flight ............the only unhelpful memeber of reception told us we could only have the room for half an hour just before we travelled...........we took it much earlier but as the air conditioning was not working we did not stay long....the experience was not nice and I would not take anight flight again. We did pass the time by watching dvds on the laptop, plugged into wall in the games room, next to the internet computer- one euro per 30mins. Most people German but all lovely-hotel is just as pictures but not too posh as most dress smart but ok-lots of chino and polo shirts...residents with bling go to late sitting meal...........cocktails from six euros and live entertainment each evening. Overall we have a lovely break..........just feeling alittle let down.....given the price we paid we expected more...............................many of the staff are really really excellent its a shame two were rude and made an impression............if you going email your dinner time in advance or put it on booking form...........it can be difficult to change...

Room Tip: check out possible rooms that your service operator uses in advance
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ann g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspalomas
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia
Lopesan Costa Meloneras Resort, Spa & Casino
Gold By Marina
Gold By Marina
#1 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Meloneras Resort? Share your experiences!