Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort
    • Restaurant
    Excellent 5/5
    Cordial Green Golf(Maspalomas)
    2,724 results
    All reviewsanimation teamsenior suitemain poolfive poolsmini clubpool barhalf boardgran canariafamily holidayevening entertainmentnature reserveyoung familiesgreat resortall inclusive packagelarge bathroomgreat holidaycourtesy bus
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Suite was very nice, had free air con in living area. The bed was really comfortable. TV only gave CNN News + a children’s channel in English. No full length mirror.
    There was nowhere to dry swimsuits, towels etc.
    We didn't see any towels on loungers to save them. The pools are really nice as is the whole area, it looks like they go round trimming everything with nail scissors, it is so perfect. No litter either.
    Evening meals were not nice. When they had a Chinese night or whatever (which was not advertised that we saw) that was all there was, no other choice and it certainly was not Chinese as we know it. The breakfasts were nice though, no English sausages but the bacon was good. The fried eggs were either not cooked enough, or overcooked. The scrambled egg was the best I’ve ever tasted. At breakfast get yourself a silver thermos type jug of coffee – located at the back, to the right, of the restaurant – or just ask the waitress. Then get yourself a silver jug and go to the machine to get hot milk. In reception they have free water and fruit juice to help yourself to so that you keep hydrated.
    We had two lunches at the pool bar, the first time a burger and asked for chips with it, not realising it comes with chips. The second time we had a pizza each and they were just the worst pizzas ever, and at €8 just not worth it. There aren’t many places nearby either to get lunch if you are half board as we were.
    We did take advantage of the Safe which was €14.20; they ask you for a €10 deposit.
    The day after we arrived we waited for the 12.35 courtesy bus which did not come. After half an hour a nice reception man we had become friends with said ‘he would make the question for us’ he came out and said there would be no more buses that day! We got it the next day and it is a large coach that obviously calls at other hotels in the area. When it got to Dunas Suites it was full so we stood at the back but the driver called us down and said to my husband – you sit here – pointing to the driver’s seat and to me ‘lady you sit here’, which was the Courier seat, then he handed me the microphone, so he was very lovely and didn't make us get off like we first thought.
    After the courtesy bus didn't come we decided on walking to the beach which was supposedly a ten minute walk but it was a good 20 minute walk and that was to where the bus takes you BUT AFTER THAT it was another 10 minute walk to the beach walking through an area where you could not avoid the timeshare touts (they weren’t too bad and soon left you alone) BUT the Africans! There was one woman who must have been more than 7’ tall and she’d come over and grab your wrist, very intimidating. When I told her to leave me alone she was very sarcastic.
    The area around the Lighthouse, although lovely is very upmarket with designer shops. But if you walk from getting off the courtesy bus, straight ahead (past the Africans) just as you get to the beach on the right hand side, go up some steps to the OASIS shopping centre. It is lovely, shops, bars, restaurants with a good atmosphere. The shop owners are not pushy, just helpful.
    The supermarket on the complex is at the other end to Dunas Suites and Villas. It is called Dunas Maspalomas. I think this was the self catering part. We made the mistake of walking along the road but if you cut through the complex it's a very pretty walk and only just over 5 minutes.
    I was expecting to see – flying – or at least crawling cockroaches but didn't see any, only 2 squashed ones outside. Also no mosquitoes at this time of year (November). Likewise at this time of year it was quiet, mostly older people but also people with babies and toddlers.
    We always like to have an idea of what a bottle of spirit costs – a 1 litre of vodka, for instance cost around €15 (not Smirnoff) whereas in Majorca in September it was only €11.
    We went on the free PALS tour which I would thoroughly recommend. We saw lots of views of the mountains, went to where people live in Caves and some let you go in, one man even had a flat screen TV although no running water or a kitchen! Our tour guide was called Tony and he was magnificent, lots of silly jokes but also very informative.
    Reception didn't know much about camel rides even though (when we found out for ourselves) it was only about a 5 minute walk away, they just generally pointed us in the right direction. If you want to know, turn left out of hotel, walk towards the ‘river bed’ path, walk along (towards beach) before reaching the beach walk over bridge, then turn left (going back on yourself) walk back not very far until you find tall gates with a sign saying something like you can't go in while the camels are there, then walk along the path for a few minutes and you will see the camels and have a ride if you want to €12 for 30 minutes.
    The shows were excellent. The Flamingo and the Rocky Horror Show in particular.
    We always look for Central Locations and this wasn’t. We had chosen Parque Cristobal in Playa del Ingles but after booking was told it was overbooked (Thomas Cook). There are buses from the roundabout (turn right from hotel) but didn't feel confident (as we usually do) as on the front they said the same thing so wasn’t sure which side of the road to get on and when you get on and ask they don't always understand what you are asking.
    Our Rep wasn’t very forthcoming with information and didn't seem to have much knowledge of the area.
    Last but not least, and sorry to all the lovely German people I’m sure there are, but it was mostly German people staying at the Dunas which we found to be quite arrogant. We found this in Gran Canaria many years ago in San Agustin as well.

Room Tip: Try to be near to reception
    • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank 80Nunhead
    Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time and sharing your comments concerning your recent stay at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort. This is always a positive thing as it helps us to improve the services we provide.

We are delighted to hear that the rooms, the garden and the pools were to your entire satisfaction.

It saddens us very much to hear you opinion about the dinner and the food at the pool bar. Food is always a sensitive matter as it is difficult to keep all customers happy, but we can assure you that our cooks absolutely do their best.

We already informed the local police about the incidents with the Africans and the time sharing people, because we got several complaints about their behavior.

We are always open to suggestions and do all we can to please our customers during their stay. To enable us to do so, it is very important to maintain the lines of communication open during your stay.

Once more, we wish to thank you for your feedback and would be delighted to welcome you back at our hotel.

best regards,

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at the Dunas Suites last week and after reading the reviews I was quite concerned there'd be a lot of children. True, there are children there but not to the point of being congested. The days I was in the hotel I spent it around the main pool where the animation team do the activities. Even the main pool want full of kids.

The main points I'd put forward about Dunas are

1) Great animation team for adults and kids.
    2) Location is good, you do not need a bus to the beach where the lighthouse is, it's a 15 minute walk. Ok maybe if you're immobile get the bus. Playa del Ingles is a five minute taxi drive, which costs €9 return.
    3) Food was 3.5/5, it was a different theme each night.
    4) Staff were all friendly
    5) Yes there are many nationalities here but it's not full of Germans like others' have said. I met quite a few Scousers and Londeners. TV wasn't geared for Brits but then again I don't go on holiday to watch TV.
    6) Getting a sunbed in November is pretty easy around the main pool.
    7) I didn't see one cockroach, if I did I wouldn't be bothered. It's a hot foreign country!
    8) Drinks service throughout the day is good and swift. Don't expect any premium lager tho.

All in all it was an 8.5/10 for me, a single bloke on his own. It loses 1.5 due to charging €18 for the WIFI. I guess we Brits just don't expect it as we usually get it free here in hotels nowadays.

Also, if you're in to transvestite nights, go to Sparkles in the Yumbo centre. It is Brilliant!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
    1  Thank biologist078

Dear Guest,

We wish to thank you very much for your comments published on Tripadvisor.

It’s a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that especially the animation team, the location and the friendliness of the whole staff were to your satisfaction.

We would be more than happy to welcome once again and remain with

best regards,

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We recently spent a complete week on Gran Canarias and stayed at the very comfortable Dunas Villas and Suites in Maspalomas. After a relatively tiring journey we arrived late in the evening and were quickly and efficiently checked into our adjoining little "bungalows" close to the main entrance. Fortunately we were able to grab a snack when the restaurant opened it's doors again at 23:00 for those with midnight hunger pains. And having the procedures for "all inclusive" explained we were happy to finish off our first evening with free cocktails under the stars on a truly balmy evening.

We really appreciated the overall family friendliness of this resort hotel. Starting with our little bungalows they were well appointed with a comfortably sized bedroom, separate living room with telly (SkyNews for the Brits) and marble bathroom. Outside there was a small terrace with patio table and chairs for relaxing. There was a safe in the room which you had to pay a few Euros extra for. No problem for that peace of mind. There was WiFi available throughout the resort for a fee - I actually feel that in this day and age this should be provided free of charge, but that's just my opinion. The whole place was spotlessly clean - we only found one cockroach in our room all week - and he was on his last legs... We were perfectly fine with the clear warning that cockroaches may be found from time to time - perfectly normal in such a warm country. Our air conditioning worked well but this apparently wasn't the case in all the bungalows.

The whole "resort" hotel is nicely laid out. We counted 5 separate pools mingled in between the bungalow style accomodation. There were guests from many international countries, mainly families with young children. The hotel catered well for them. We took all our meals in the restaurant close to the main reception. The breakfast buffet was huge and we were able to avail ourselves of a wide range of goodies from Spanish favourites like chocolate and churros and membrillo (quince jelly) to the full blown British fry up complete with baked beans. It formally opened at 08:00 each morning, but those on booked on earlier trips could give advance warning to eat earlier. Lunch & dinner were also a generous affairs with plenty to choose from - international flair as well as many Spanish goodies. Of course you are eating in a more canteen, sometimes hectic and loud environment but that didn't spoil things for us too much.

The pools were adequete and well supervised. The week we were there was a busy one. Finding sun lounges after 09:00 was usually a challenge but we usually got lucky and the pool staff helped us out. In fact having a decent command of the Spanish language helped enormously with the hotel staff. They seemed to warm to someone able to speak their language and service was inevitably a bit quicker and even friendlier.

We didn't really follow the hotel entertainment which was rather amateurish. The shows in the evening seemed more suitable for families with young children. Nevertheless the entertainment crew were very hard working, full of energy and enthusiasm.

Overall the location is OK. It is quite some distance to the beaches but the hotel does provide a shuttle three or four times a day. We used the cheap taxi service on the island a lot. Getting about was easy and much better than hiring a car in my opinion.

On the negative side the hotel management really need to do something about the lift down to the restaurant. It closes far too quickly causing injury when trying to get in or out.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
    1  Thank Eyekaytoo
    Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to express our sincerest gratitude that you have chosen our hotel and also for sharing your opinion with other travelers on the website Trip Advisor.

We are very happy to know that you had such a good time with us and we are especially glad about your positive valuation.

Please, be assured that we informed our technicians about the incident with the elevator.

Once more, we wish to thank you for your feedback and would be delighted to welcome you back at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort.

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We booked a senior suite in August for the half term. The five of us arrived at approximately 9pm to be sent straight away for our meal and told to check in after. When we finally checked in we were told they had overbooked and we could have a one bedroomed suite with lounge. Not the two bedroom, two bathroom suite with lounge! ! When we got to our one bedroom suite. The only beds made up were in the bedroom. We still needed three beds for the children. After numerous phone calls and visits to reception the beds were made up by 11.15pm!! We were minus a pillow and told to roll up a towel as the laundry was shut until morning. The towels had to be delivered. The rooms we were given were designed for 4 not 5. We were assured we would be moved the next day. We had to camp unable to unpack due to lack of space for 3 days. They did offer us 2 bedrooms in different properties and couldn't understand why we didn't want to separate as a family.Eventually we got our 2 bedrooms. The management showed no concern and were visibly absent. Sadly the staff on the ground were great and the annimation team made the holiday

• Stayed: November 2013
    4  Thank garnet10
    Dunashotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Dunas Suites and Villas Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We apologize for the inconveniences caused by the lack of senior suites at your arrival at the end of October. Also we regret that we only could offer two rooms side by side on the second day.

We ensure that this is not a common situation and should not happen again.

Thank you very much for your nice words about our animation team and the staff. Please be assured that we passed them on to all of them.

We would be more than happy to have another possibility to convince you of our services and remain

with kind regards

Reviewed 10 November 2013

It's just that they advertise the hotel as a 4 star. It just isn't. And for this reason they must be failing to meet people's expectations much of the time. It certainly didn't meet my expectations. Had I known it was a 3 star hotel I wouldn't have booked it. So I do feel a little mis-led.

Having said that we had a lovely week, because I was with the people I love and the weather was great. Any gripes that I have are only because I was expecting slightly more. The food is ok. Just ok. There was plenty of it but it just wasn't very imaginative and was quite repetitive. Also - and other people have said this too - there were never any vegetables! I have never stayed in a hotel before where there were no vegetables. It was quite bizarre. I always have a salad to start with so I don't really want another salad with my main course.

Our suite was fine although one of the curtains was half hanging off and no one ever remedied it. The rooms were a bit dated but clean and spacious and the shower was powerful and there were never any issues with hot water. One of my main disappointments - and this was really my fault as I should have checked - is that the complex is geared very much to young families. I never knew there were that many under 5's in the world. Despite the hotel having 5 pools not one was adult only. So everywhere was really, really noisy, all of the time, but I can imagine that if you have young children it would probably be a great place to stay because I could see the animations team worked tirelessly.

To escape the incessant noise one day we caught the number 32 bus from the roundabout near the hotel and this took us to Puerto de Mogan. Takes about 40 minutes and costs 4.40 euros each way. And well worth it. Mogan is just gorgeous. It has everything in quite a compact place: a lovely beach, a marina, lots of pavement cafes. If I ever return to Gran Canaria I will spend whatever it takes to stay in Mogan because I didn't like Maspalomas at all.

One other thing. Wifi costs 18 euros for the week and is often difficult to get onto and then you get kicked off for no reason and spend ages trying to get back on. And the signal was poor and only available in some areas. In this day and age surely good wifi should come as standard and be part of the tariff. It's like charging extra for electricity. It felt quite archaic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
    1  Thank Sorus

Dear guests,

We are really sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your stay at Dunas Suites & Villas Resort.

Your suggestions about the food and the lack of maintenance in your room are very much appreciated, as we are always interested to improve our service and satisfy the demands of our guests.

We hope that you will change your mind, because we would look forward to welcoming you again as guests in our resort.

Best regards,