I have reviewed this hotel before, and returning a year later it is still the best hotel in Gran Can.
The best thing about the hotel is the quality of the facility. It is kept spotless and the staff are amazingly helpful and friendly. Gran Can is a kitsch throwback to the 70's and this hotel is a five star version. It is particularly 'seniors' friendly and most of the guests are german retirees. They have money, they are demanding of high standards of food/service/cleanliness and they like to dress for dinner. DO NOT expect this hotel to be a great place for kids (though, they have a new club for kids which looks good but empty); it is not a hotel for nightlife...the acts they hire for the bar are hilarious in a camp kitschy way..it is a great spa facility though the 'nudist' sauna area is like a geriatric centre (you have been warned!). The food is good. The buffet for dinner as a BBQ is great, but after a few days you tire of the same selection. Breakfast is the best with a great new coffee machine! Lunch as the African bar is good...and, if you catch the weekly fashion show which happens while you are lunching it is hilarious...an interesting take on eurovision glamour.
The hotel is a member of the design group of hotels and the sister hotel is the SIDE in Hamburg which is great. The hotel is very gay friendly, and an international welcoming venue. This year they have more english tv channels and free wifi..hurrah!
the rooms are hit and miss...if you get a seaside/ocean view on an upper floor (hit!) if you get ones overlooking the pool lower down (miss). some are in garish colours (coral!) while most are either blue or beige. So, make sure you see the room first. The locker room for late departures is a bit ropey...they could improve this facility, but overall the hotel is a 5 star experience. The beach is just a minute away as are the dunes...what is left of them after the winter storms,but they seem to be fixing the beach. The pool may be the better option.
The service from the front desk was hit/miss and the concierges are all good, as are the door staff/porters. All the employees seem to like their jobs, and many of the guests return every year which is a testiment to both the hotel and Gran Can. If you do go, it is worth shopping at the Varadero centre and Lopesan walkway. There is a good Italian restaurant there (Grand Italia). If you go to Playa del Ingles (Yumbo centre - an NCP car park w/ gay bars and tacky shops but wonderfully camp and silly) - there are two good restaurants (Greek Village if you want greek, or Riminin if you want Italian). Mundo cafe is good too. But, if you want gay nightlife - don't go before 10pm, it is empty. If you want straight clubs - head to the beach area, or the bars on Avenida Tirjana..it seems the scandinavian bars were the most lively, and the Irish bars had the most revellers.
Las Palmas is a great day excursion if it rains, or rent a car and drive to Mogan or inland. Gran Can is a great island, and many different types of scenery. However, be warned - it does rain off and on, even though maspalomas is the farthest south and gets the most sun, it can be three seasons in one day. So, if you wake up w/ blue skies...get out and enjoy, as they might not last between Oct - May. Summer is more blue sky continually - but, the dunes/sand gets HOT! Just back and it was a perfect temperature and the sea was perfect to swim in and body board.
All in all - Seaside Palm Beach is a great venue to relax and rejuvenate. Book online - much better packages than direct with most major UK and German tour operators.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Seaside Palm Beach, the first and until now only member of “Design Hotels” on Gran Canaria, can be found alongside the nature reserve and sand-dunes of Maspalomas, set in an extensive palm grove, a unique and privileged location. For those in search of tranquility and the highest standard of cuisine, at just a few steps from the beach, this hotel is the perfect location for couples and families of all ages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Seaside Palm Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seaside Palm Beach Hotel Maspalomas
- Seaside Hotel Maspalomas
- Palm Beach Gran Canaria
- Seaside Palm Beach Maspalomas, Gran Canaria