“inferno”

Bungalows El Palmeral
Ranked #143 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 30 July 2008

I have just returned from a week in El Parmeral Bungalows
in Maspalomas. The bungalows are basic,but set in a nice area,with virtually no noise at night.My biggest problem was that there was no air conditioning of any description.It was terrible,there was no escape from the heat.I couldn't sleep at night it was so hot.
There are no locks on the bathroom or bedroom doors.Towels were changed,but sheets were not.Cleaning staff are very friendly.The security safes are small,but if you are thinking of taking your lap-top,be careful as it wont fit into the safe.
Reception is open for more or less office hours only.You will be given a pass-key for the gate.On my last night my bus was collecting me at 5:30am,when I went to reception it was locked with no-one on duty.Fortunately the bus was late,and at 5:40 the complex gardner woke up behind a bush inside in the reception area to let me hand my keys over.
Having stayed for a week,I would probably consider El Palmeral for a winter holiday when it would be a lot cooler to live in

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank karlek

Reviewed 25 June 2008

Myself and my girlfriend stayed in the El Palmeral apartments from the 24th of May till the 31st of May and overall found them to be relaxing, friendly and well kept. The area they are in is very very quiet but that suited us for this particular week as we were both just looking to unwind and do nothing.

The Faro II shopping center is only a stones throw away and has everything you need for a quiet holiday. There are a number of lovely restaurants in it, our particular favourite being thee Italian up near the top - Michelangelo's. They do a fillet steak with Gorgonzola cheese sauce that really is top notch..!!

There are also a couple of bars in the center with 2 up near the top pumping out some cheesy hits...the craziest it got when we were there though was when we started playing our own variation on killer connect 4..!

Playa del Ingleas is a handy taxi ride away though if you like your entertainment a little more seedy. It was still relatively quiet when we were there but having been there in high season before I would say that the El Palmeral would be a great location to stay in because it is withing very easy reach of Playa without actually having to stay there. In fairness Playa i a horrible resort..!

Getting back to the apartments, they are quite small bbut they are clean and have everything that you need. One word of warning though...
if you do get apartment 11 it might be worth asking to change unless you like getting woken up at 7.30 every morning..! The apartment is right beside the cleaners room and they can be very loud when they arrive in the morning. They are only chatting amongst themselves but with the window open they might as well be sitting on the end of your bed having a natter..! I had to go in a couple of mornings to ask them to be quiet and in fairness they were very apologetic but if you have been out for a couple the night before that is the last thing you want a few hours later...!!

The pool area in very nice but the sun worshiper in me wish that there weren't so many trees as you have to keep adjusting your position as thee shadows catch up with you..! Jackson is always on hand for a game of Pool or table tennis if you get sick of lying about. The pool side bar is also very good and happy hour is a definite bonus...!

One thing though, check the Spanish calendar before you book and make sure you are not going on a bank holiday..! The weekend we went home was the June weekend and it was also a holiday in thee Canneries. From the Thursday on there was an invasion of Spaniards not seen since the armada..! The atmosphere around the place definitely changed and they really did take over.

All in all this is a great little place to come to for a quiet break with your partner or family. Not much to do near by but playa is very accessible and it is in very nice surroundings....just a shame they couldn't bring the sea up to it...!!

1  Thank GazHoop
Reviewed 3 June 2008

hi just want to say we are just back from gran canaria and el palmeral bungalows on saturday 31 may and had a gr8 time ok it is probably not for the teenages but in my forties and wanting peace & quiet and value for money we certainly got it! the only complaint i have was a smell on our first night and last night like cabbeag in the room bot otherwise i would highly recommend it Mags & Willie

Reviewed 3 June 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at El Palmeral apartments for a week in May.

We paid around £80 each for our bungalow and thought that was very good value. The rooms were clean and we were provided with clean towels regularly. Yes there were cockroaches in the room on the first night but once we had got rid of those I did not see anymore after that. You have to expect them when all the rooms are on the ground floor!

The only thing I would say is that I can imagine the rooms to get very hot in the height of summer as air con is not provided but when we went we found the nights a lot cooler so this didnt pose a problem for us.

Kitchen facilities were basic but we had a fridge which was the main thing we wanted. If you want to cook a lot in your room I wouldnt say this was the place for you!

Pool area was very nice, pool bar quite reasonably priced as well. If you dont wish to sunbathe by the pool, all bungalows do have 2 sunbeds on the balcony.

Apart from the Faro 2 shopping centre we did not find much else within walking distance of our apartments. However taxi's are very cheap if you want to go to livelier Playa Del Ingles, down to Maspalomas Beach or to waterpark (which is fantastic!). Most journeys were around 5 euros. Faro 2 has several restaurants all serving pretty similar stuff but we found these to not be too expensive. There are also 3 or 4 bars which are ok as well. If you are a group of lads/girls in 18-30's range then I wouldnt say you would find them that great but it was fine for me and my boyfriend (who are in late 20's!)!

All in all if you want somewhere clean, nice pool and dont mind getting a taxi to go further afield then I would definitely recommend this place to you!!

1  Thank Laura W
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We arrived at 2.45am on 27/04/08 to peace & quiet,as you would expect at that time of the morning!
we werent too happy to see our bungalow was right next to the pool/bar as we hadn't heard what the daytime was going to be like,but we were pleasantly surprised the next day.we had a sunny terrace right up until the early evening & the noise was kept to a minimum.there were certain times when the music from the bar was put up but not all day and there was a certain amount of football shown as it was in the middle of the European Cup but it didn't bother us that much & we are not footie fans.
the only thing to warn about is the Spanish invasion usually every weekend but especially the first day of May,which is the Spanish bank holiday & although they lounged around the pool all day I did feel sorry for the small minority of english kids on holiday that couldn't use the free games on offer to keep themselves entertained as the spanish kids/adults tended to hog these until around 8.30pm.
the bar staff were friendly & Jackson was the enternainment guy who played pool/table tennis with the kids during the day & came back at night to organise karaoke/bingo for the adults/kids.
this is a place were you can do what you feel & if you dont feel like mixing then you aren't obliged to,we were there for 2 weeks & saw no trouble or falling out but I suppose it depends on who is holidaying there at the same time!!

Reviewed 6 April 2008

Just returned from a week in the el palmeral bungalows and had a great holiday. Arrived on the 29th March with our two children aged 8yrs and 10 month old baby. Booked with Falcon Holidays.

Our room was in a fantastic location right in front of the pool area. Room was clean and comfortable, travel cot provided in the bedroom. Rooms were cleaned 6 days a week and towels changed every 3 days.

Plenty of room around the pool area most people in the dozen rooms surrounding the pool had brought the sun loungers onto their patio so there was plenty of space for everyone else. The main pool and baby pool were freezing cold but ok when you got used to it.

The snacks served from the pool bar were tasty. Happy hour once a day gave you two drinks for the price of one. Fresh bread was available from the small supermarket in the mornings. Supermarket, outside toilets and laundry facilities are down a flight of steps so not suitable when the baby was in his buggy.

Great location just beside faro2 shopping centre, plenty of shops and restaurants and childrens play area.

The weather was fantastic 28-30 every day, most days people were still by the pool at 7pm.

Would definately go back to these bungalows if we were going to Gran Canaria again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2008

We have just come back from a great break from the Bungalows El Palmeral in Maspalomas.

We travelled there with Thomas Cook from Bristol Airport. We arrived at the Bungalows and entered a small but light and airy reception and was met by a friendly receptionist. Our bungalow as next door but one to the reception. About 20 ft from the swimming pool and 22 ft from the bar. great.

The bungalows were basic, but as long as the bed and the bathroom is clean, thats alright with me. The beds were certainly comfortable. The place was certainly quiet, which we were looking for in a holiday.

The rep with Thomas Cook was great. She gave a great welcome meeting. I have been to Gran Canaria before, but it was nice to hear different things about the island.

The bunalows were in a perfect position to Fara 2, a shopping centre and a great choice of restaurants. We ate in the steak restaurant right on the top 3 times in a week. Thats how much we enjoyed this restaurant. It was a fab place.

We walked along the storm drain to the dunes, which took us about 20 min. When you get near to the beach, watch out for the ticket touts, just ignore them. We went into the dunes and encountered nudes sunbathing. Further down the beach there are alot more, as its a nudist beach. I found it hilarious, as there are loads of people walking along the shore, I think to spot them. You don't have to wait long as they are walking in between you to get to the sea.

We would definately recommend the Bungalows El Palmeral to anybody, and would go back there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple