“great holiday !”

Maspalomas Princess Hotel
Ranked #59 of 217 Hotels in Maspalomas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I actually travelled to this hotel last September but completely forgot to write a review. We arrived quite late to the hotel and by the time we checked in, we just wanted to go to sleep ! The service was quite slow so be prepared for a wait while checking in.

The rooms were lovely and spacious - and up to a high standard! Lovely big pools and enough sunbeds for everyone.. was no need to get up early to reserve one. The staff at the pool bar were lovely and couldnt be more friendly.

The meals are of a high quality and there was something different to choose from on a daily basis, including various themed nights throughout the stay.

The entertainment wasnt the best, however the 'Black Brothers', which are an acrobaic act, were fab and definitely worth staying in the hotel to watch.

The weather towards the end of our stay wasnt the best, and the staff tried to put different activities on inside to keep people busy and activities to do. A trip to Maspalomas is a must, so many cafes and bars along the front, along with designer shops. Its more chilled out than the short trip to Playa de Ingles which can be fairly windy. We visited the dunes which were fantastic, however hard work to climb up to the top ! We took a taxi to both Maspalomas and Playa de Ingles. We walked both during our stay, however its a fair old walk and with rising temperatures its quite hard work !

We booked the Submarine excursion through Thomson reps who are based at the hotel and would highly recommend it. It is about an hours coach journey to Puerto Mogan where you get a couple of hours before the excursion and it is such a lovely area. The submarine was great too. Highly recommend it.. especially if you have children.

All in all, its a fab hotel and highly recommended ! The only thing that lets it down is the poor service at times and the entertainment could be better.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor.. the balcony is covered by huge trees. If possible, try and get a ro...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L123T

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We will be back!

Great hotel, nice food (but bring your own coffee for breakfast ), nice rooms, service minded staff. Lots of pools and they were very clean and heated up to 28 temp.
Great with kids!

Maspalomas Princess Hotel was a lot better than we expected. We normally rent a car, but we were so happy and relaxed and just didn't need to. The walk to the Beach/Dunas was also lovely.
It is also possible to rent bikes at the hotel.

The hotel is very big, but never seems crowded. Lovely Gardens everywhere for peace and quiet.

We had a great holiday in the beginning of April

3  Thank Heidi B
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Masked by the beautiful reception our hopes were high for this hotel until we got off the coach and had to wait in a queue for 25 minutes leading outside the front door to get booked in. No offer of a refreshments whilst you waited and no offer of any assistance, not even a seat for the elderly travelers. We should of got back on the coach then! When you finally get booked in by unwelcome reception staff you are then left to lug your own luggage to your room if you can find it. No offer of help given by staff/porter at all.

The room was lovely, spacious, clean . that was as good as it got.

Half board is not half board as you would expect. You have to have breakfast and dinner. There is no lunch so you can not choose that as an option. The food itself is served in what can only be described as a fancy canteen. if you like that then great but please don't suggest its four star dining, it isn't. Everything feels processed and food is adequate only. Staff look rushed and there is no sense of personal service whatsoever. Beware if you are a large family as the cost of drinks soon mounts up, (approx 3 euros for a soft drink incl water) and don't forget your room ticket as your herded to a table, otherwise your told off and advised not to do it again!

Most services you need to pay extra for : use of the fridge, to use the safe, to have wifi , and even change your beach towels every time you use them and even the mini golf on site.

The pool area is horrible. Packed in like sardines its difficult to move between beds and there is no where to get any sense of privacy what so ever. It feels dirty, unkept and is not a pleasant area to stay in for any reasonable amount of time. Your better taking the minimum 20 min walk to the beach ( not a scenic route by the way ). If your elderly or have mobility problems then negotiating your way through the pool area (which does a good impersonation of Tooting Lido on a hot summers day ) will be a feat in itself to get to the back door which leads to the route to the beach. The walk is long and in the heat, very long.

With all the extra costs, its a much better deal to go to a nicer hotel by the beach where you do not pay extra for water, fridge, safe, wifi, entertainment etc. You also won't need to be paying for taxis to and from the hotel when you cant face that misery walk back each day.

The only other plus side was Thomson staff reps were great when addressing the above but they can only do so much.

1  Thank Grace G
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Iovely hotel stopped twice before going back June this year can't wait food lovely rooms very clean and tidy and the holiday reps look after you in this hotel and a twenty minute walk to a fantastic beach with lots of places to eat and drink can't wait

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank john b
Reviewed 23 April 2014

On arrival the Hotel looked okay although the location was inferior to the Meloneras Hotels. The staff on reception were reasonably pleasant but have us no details of the or help in relation to meal timings and location of restaurants etc. I had to ask for a map! I had emailed three days before to request a soft mattress but had sent the email to Head Office as this was the only email I could find. The Reception had no knowledge of it nor were they going to find it or bother to action it! There was no help with the cases and we were expected to drag our cases over to the lift although I have a back condition and we had a young child with us. We arrived at our room, and it was adequate but small, as the sofa bed was made up for our five year old and there was no room to pull out the dressing table stool. The room was a little tatty and dated but quite clean. The bed however was horrendous and so hard it was like a board. I have a bulging disc in my spine which I am waiting for treatment for and a hard bed causes my back to lock and numbness in my legs and pain which prevents sleeping. My bed at home is off excellent quality and I am able to sleep and more or less fully function on most days. I never take painkillers. I went back down to Reception at 4pm and requested some mattress toppers and a duvet to put on top of the bed. They said it would be done. We unpacked and went for Dinner. At approx 9.30 we returned to our room to find my request had not been actioned. After putting our Daughter to bed we were so tired I tried to lie on the bed, but it was so hard my back began to throb. It was clear that the poor quality bed was unusable for me so I slept on the sofa bed with a wriggling five year old! After approx three hours I gave up and got up to walk off the pain. We rose very early for our first day and I found that walking was difficult, and I was tired and cranky all day. I again went to reception, and spoke to the Thomson rep after the welcome meet. We tried to make the most of our day but sunbeds were scarce as they are reserved prior to 7am by the German, Scandinavian and seemingly British guests. Many of whom then disappear until almost lunchtime before they actually use the beds! During the Holiday it became apparent that hundreds of beds were saved, many pre-Dawn and the Hotel did nothing to discourage this. We couldn't get a bed anywhere near the pools to supervise our child. To cut a long story short after 7 requests to the Hotel and Reps a huffy housekeeping lady came up and after shrugging her shoulders and arrogantly pulling back the bed covers to show my husband one paltry mattress cover on the bed. She brought another after my husband requested it and put that on top. The beds are so hard it would take a bed of feathers to improve the comfort! The Thomson reps were also dismissive and said 'I don't know what else we can do! On the third morning and after the second night on the sofa which caused me numbness and pain down to my ankles, I was furious, and again spoke to the reps. They make a promise to solve any problems within 48 hours, but they do not deliver the promised result. In desperation and by now feeling quite ill, I resorted to stripping the toppers of my husbands side of the bed and my Daughters sofa. Approx three in he's of padding helped a little, but I needed painkillers on retiring and also woke in the night and had to take more. I got through 32 pain killers, which is probably more than I have ever taken in a lifetime! The grounds of the Hotel which is attached to its sister Hotel are small in relation to the 900 or so rooms occupied. There are rows and rows of sunbeds, and the congestion is awful. I do not wish to get up close and personal with strangers! The grounds need more maintenance and there were precious few cleaners in evidence. The entertainment was poor and there was very little to do in the evening. There was only one restaurant for us to use in the evening and this was like a bun fight! You had to queue at peak times for quite some time, and navigating the restaurant was like walking on a motorway. Waiters rushing everywhere and adults and children streaming up and down. The food was monotonous and we were throughly fed up of it before the week was out. The breakfasts were the same everyday. I asked for my bottle of wine which was over half full, to be refrigerated for me, and I was told I had to take it to my room! I then found out that I had to pay for the fridge to place the wine in at a cost of 11.50 euros. There was also a charge for the safe, so we resorted to locking our possessions in our suitcase! We then paid for the internet 6 euros a day! and were told it would work in our room... Wrong! I had to come down to reception in the evening after we had settled down early (9.30pm) with our child, just so I could check my emails!
The rooms either side of us contained smokers, and as I have asthma, I was unable to use the balcony when they were in residence, and we had to close our doors late at night as the smoke came into the room. The air conditioning was too noisy to use, so we opened the doors again after the smokers had gone to bed.
We used the kids club which was understaffed and chaotic. I returned early one day to see how my child was, and I couldn't find her. When I did she had been totally unsupervised, the doors and gates were wide open and she was playing on her own within yards of a swimming pool. An accident waiting to happen!
All in all a very poor Hotel with uncaring staff and ineffective Thomson reps. We couldn't wait to leave, and will not return. Be warmed Thomson 5T does not mean 5*. I would suggest this Hotel is more 3*.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here if you want a good room.
9  Thank twoplusone2010
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Loved this hotel so much, we booked another holiday there already!

Super clean, good quality food, entertainment was fine.

The rooms are spacious and well furnished, we were given two bedrooms on the first floor at the other end away from the piano bar and they were very quiet.

Plenty of sunbeds, however I didn't like the grit - no biggie, but a personal dislike! My only warning is don't get a sunbed near the volleyball court, as there's no net or fence around it and I was hit quite hard in the head! A bit dangerous!

Gardens and grounds were immaculate, we walked all round the two hotels looking at the plants.

Lots of nice little touches, like nibbles with your drinks in the piano bar, fresh fruit in bowls at reception or at the bars to help yourself, tequila shots and a mariachi band on the Mexican evening etc

Staff are really nice and friendly.

My only gripe - Be prepared to pay for a fridge, safe and wifi - a bit stingy nowadays when so many hotels include this in with the cost - €13.50 per week each for the fridge and safe and I think we paid €19 for the wifi

Overall we loved this hotel and Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandy W
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just returned from our third stay at the Maspalomas Princess in one year and we was not let down! We stayed for two weeks as a party of six and overall had an amazing time. We was recognised by the staff soon as we arrived which was very nice. The best thing about this hotel is that the staff are extremely friendly and so kind!! The breakfast is very good and evening meal had a very good varied to suit all. The waiters are very friendly and are always there to order more drinks and take away empty plates. The entertainment was okay but we spent more time in the piano bar where again the bar staff are again extremely friendly! Rooms are cleaned every day up to a great standard and the cleaners always speak to you In the corridor. The best place to have a room in the hotel is the 3rd floor where our rooms were right at the end away from the piano bar because we knew people on the 1st floor above the piano bar and you will not sleep until the piano had finished at 12pm. My two children(15 and 18) enjoyed taking the 15minute walk to the beach most days which is a lovely walk and also enjoyed the water park which is only a 5minute taxi drive away at a cheap cost. The pool is also a good size and getting sunbeds was not a problem even when we are sharing the pool area with the sister hotel next door. Overall this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and me and my family will be retuning again. 5 stars all the way.

• Stayed: April 2014